PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing?

kevin mckay
03-29-2007, 01:55 PM
I feel like Don Quixote

grains are not a natural human food when looked at through the lens of evolutionary biology
- grains contain gluten
- grains cannot touch the nutrient density of fruit/veg
- grains contain anti nutrients
- grains inhibit nutrient absorption
- grains produce systemic inflammation in the body in some people.
- grains are acidic and leech calcium to buffer the acidity
- People usually drop allot of fat when cutting grains from there diet.
- people often report more aches and pains when returning to grains after cutting them.

Anybody have any thing to add

Robb Wolf
03-29-2007, 02:00 PM
They are damn yummy when pulverized, and cooked in fat to produce wither a donut or corn chips. At least I've heard that stuff tastes good....

kevin mckay
03-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Robb,

Come on dude, I really expected more from you :(

If any of this is inaccurate please let me know.

Pierre Auge
03-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Mmmmmmmm Dohnuts!

kevin mckay
03-29-2007, 03:53 PM
LOL
yea crispy creme mmmm, maybe I should rethink my war on carbs

Mike ODonnell
03-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Beer grew on trees in prehistoric times...other than that..I think you nailed it.

kevin mckay
03-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Bottles or cans?

Mike ODonnell
03-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Bottles or cans?

As far as I know the tap was in the tree.......

Allison Barns
03-29-2007, 08:32 PM
I feel like Don Quixote

grains are not a natural human food when looked at through the lens of evolutionary biology
- grains contain gluten
- grains cannot touch the nutrient density of fruit/veg
- grains contain anti nutrients
- grains inhibit nutrient absorption
- grains produce systemic inflammation in the body in some people.
- grains are acidic and leech calcium to buffer the acidity
- People usually drop allot of fat when cutting grains from there diet.
- people often report more aches and pains when returning to grains after cutting them.

Anybody have any thing to add

When you tell people you don't eat gluten (and then explain what gluten is) WAY too many people recoil and say (looking at you as if you are a freak), "But what do you EAT???!"

Mike ODonnell
03-30-2007, 05:48 AM
"But what do you EAT???!"

I get that shocking question every day....it's like meat, fruits, nuts and veg are not considered real food....or the real question should be..."Well what do I eat when I go to Starbucks for breakfast..."

Mike ODonnell
03-30-2007, 05:49 AM
"But what do you EAT???!"

I get that shocking question every day....it's like meat, fruits, nuts and veg are not considered real food....or the real question should be..."Well what do I eat when I go to Starbucks for breakfast...is the banana nut muffin good? Banana is a fruit....and nuts...you said I should have nuts...." Sighhhhhh, yes...this is my life.

Nicki Violetti
03-30-2007, 12:24 PM
It's my life too...and I'm also frequently told that Cheerios are a great breakfast option because the American Heart Association says so. Hard to argue with that.

Mike ODonnell
03-30-2007, 01:25 PM
It's my life too...and I'm also frequently told that Cheerios are a great breakfast option because the American Heart Association says so. Hard to argue with that.

I like to tell the story of the study done with organic cereal and regular cereal on rats.....after whatever time like a month....they found the rats on regular cereal actually healthier than the organic...but it didnt stop there...apparently they were bored or have the same inner voice I have that said..."Hey let's test the regular cereal vs the cardboard box it came from"....and in another month....they found that the rats that ate the box were healthier than the rats that ate the cereal.....

So I tell people like that.....pour out the Cheerios and eat the box....it's healthier...

Allison Barns
03-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Rats eating the cardboard box reminded me of another popular response -- what about all those "yummy" (HA!) gluten free breads out there. I often respond that they remind me of eating cardboard (not that I've actually done that) and I really rather not bother with it. Of course, this just continues "how you LIVE without breads?" topic.

Yes, shocking how it seems some people can't recognize meat, veggies, fruit, & nuts as actual food that can sustain life :D .

Robb Wolf
03-31-2007, 08:06 AM
Kevin-
Pretty complete list...I'll think on that.

Yea...we have recommended cutting out wheat at one point or another to all our clients. When folks comply there is almost a stunned moment of recognition when they come back to us and say "Wow...you guys were right!" Baby steps...I keep reminding myself, baby steps.