PDA

View Full Version : whats so bad about jumping forward?

Rob Chu
07-15-2014, 03:09 PM
i've read a number of articles and watched videos of high level lifters and it seems like the general consensus is that you can jump a bit backwards or straight up and down but under no circumstances should you jump forward.

there seem to be a number of articles on how to correct his issue, but not many on why its wrong in the first place.

my understanding is that for both the clean and the snatch, the ideal ending position is for the bar to be somewhere over your midfoot, however, after the finish, the bar will necessarily come out in front of your midfoot, at least to a small degree. so why is it more efficient to move the bar back instead of moving your body forward?

i am just a beginner lifter and know nothing about physics or biomechanics so I am sure my reasoning is flawed somewhere, but I am not getting this from a conceptual standpoint...

there are very few high level lifter vids that i could find with a jump forward to illustrate, but two that did find are of aimee winning the national championship (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUD4xH0FSDM) and behdad salimi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TomBet77rDc)...i feel like their way of lifting and the jump forward is similar to what I do and I don't know if I should make a huge effort to change at this point...

Tosca Mulder
07-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Hey there,

I'm no pro either but I guess if the bar ends up to be in front of you, you weren't pulling it into your body enough. Maybe the jumping forward is rather an effect than a cause, the cause being catapulting too much (too much of an horizontal drive)/not being able to correct the horizontal movement by pulling the bar into your body. Please correct me if I'm wrong (:

Tosca

Greg Everett
07-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Forward movement under the bar makes it more difficult to stabilize overhead (more so than backward movement) or in the rack position to maintain your trunk structure, and is harder on the knees when receiving. If you want to jump forward, you can, but you'll find eventually it becomes a problem that needs to be corrected to continue improving.

Rob Chu
07-15-2014, 04:51 PM
thanks for the response greg. I never considered that and now that I think of it, even though my snatch and cleans are pretty good relative to my squats, my knees and my body in general tends to buckle/waver at the bottom...i imagine as i increase the weight this will become a bigger issue...