PDA

View Full Version : Replacing power jerk w/split jerk in programs?

Rob Chu
07-21-2014, 02:38 PM
I recently started weightlifting and took a beginners course which started with the snatch, then the clean and then the jerk. Since we learned the jerk last, it is by far the lift I am least comfortable with. For example, I am in the second week of the starter program and on Saturday when you are supposed to go 1x6 in the snatch and clean and jerk, I was able to go 195 in the snatch and only 185 in the c&j because I was missing my jerks at 205 (though i was able to hit 225 for 1x the week prior)...

I plan to do the leg strength blocks after the starter program, but I don't see a lot of split jerk practice...would it be ok to substitute split jerks for the power jerks on thursday? If so, do I use the same weight or more?

Neil Kautzner
07-22-2014, 09:10 AM
From what I have read and listened to on may podcasts, is not to replace anything in a program unless it is absolutely necessary. Stick with the power jerks. Practice split jerks on your off days. Do not go heavy obviously. Focus more on the technique of the lift.
Hope this helps!

Rob Chu
07-22-2014, 09:17 AM
thanks for the reply....i am an older lifter and realize that i really need to do nothing on the rest days...alternatively should i add a jerk to days the program just calls for cleans?

also, can i ask what podcast you are referring to?