PDA

View Full Version : Help with power jerk

Whit Matthews
07-27-2014, 05:30 AM
I decided a few months ago to switch to the power jerk due to an issue with my back foot. I feel like I've made some progress in technique but I haven't really been going heavy due to switching focus a bit (cutting/ more metcon stuff) and a minor injury. I'm really just concerned with getting the technique right at the moment, before I start pushing the strength back up.

Tonight I took some video for the first time of power jerks, and was a little disappointed with how they looked (shocker, I don't look like Apti). I see a couple glaring things but wanted to see what suggestions you guys had. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

This is about 87% of my max.

brZ8zvCrwm0

One little thing, I usually grip wider on the jerk (ring fingers on the rings) but tonight I was playing around with a narrower grip. I forgot to switch back before I started taking vid. I definitely feel more stable and quick with a slightly wider grip. I feel like I can get my shoulders locked into position faster.

Javier Sanjuan
07-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Whit,

Honestly, I think they look pretty good.

I would recommend getting your elbows a little more down and out in the rack position. It'll help with the push under and keeping a very tight back, particularly the upper area. I also recommend you smooth that dip out. If you rush that dip, you'll become disconnected from the bar, which will eventually lead to miss lifts (unless you're ridiculously strong and can withstand a heavy barbell crashing onto you).

You can also do some tall jerks to work on the speed pushing under the bar. If you want, you can try moving your feet as well to see if that helps your speed any.

Hope this helps,
Javi

Whit Matthews
07-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Good suggestions, thanks!