PDA

View Full Version : how to get arms behind ears on snatch?

JP Eddings
07-30-2014, 09:12 AM
I have a consistent problem when the weight starts to get heavy on snatches. I tend to always land under the bar with my armpits in front of my ears thus resulting in dropping the bar in front of me. my snatch is a little inconsistent as sometimes I'll leverage my hips and pop the bar hard on my 2nd pull which tends to swing the bar out in front of me. I've been told to try an over exaggerate and really "throw the bar behind you" but I just can't seem to get over this mental block. Any suggestions?

Greg Everett
07-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Keep bar in with lats/shoulders and keeping pushing against the floor with your legs as you extend your hips. If you post a video, we can give you better suggestions.

Blake Barnes
07-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Well I feel like you kind of answered your own question. When the weight get's heavier, just don't push the bar out with the hips and swing it out. When the bar swings out it slows down. Thus resulting in an incomplete turnover.

Bring the bar to the hips and push with the legs. You will still get an extension of the hips but only from extending straight up by driving against the platform.

Follow that with pulling yourself down under the bar with the elbows high and outside and that should make it a lot easier to turn the bar over all the way.

JP Eddings
07-30-2014, 11:24 AM
here's one of many failed attempts.

one this one besides where the bar ends up in front of my ears, I know my feet didn't move enough. I'm on my toes as I'm starting to catch the weight.

http://youtu.be/udm7LGK7PVQ

udm7LGK7PVQ

Blake Barnes
08-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Well the number one thing is that the bar is making contact at the thigh instead of the hip. That's way too low. You're initiating the 2nd Pull too soon and anytime someone makes contact too low the bar ends up swinging out.

Be patient on the 1st Pull and let the bar get up higher so that you make contact at the hip. Something that might also help is thinking of keeping your feet flat longer in the 1st Pull.

I would suggest some Halting Snatch DLs (http://www.catalystathletics.com/exercises/exercise.php?exerciseID=186) to help you get a good feel for the position on where the bar needs to be making contact. Then you could try some complex like "Halting Snatch DL + Snatch Pull + Snatch" or something. But make sure you let each exercise carry over to the next one.

JP Eddings
08-05-2014, 08:51 AM
thanks for the info Blake. i'll be sure to work on this.