PDA

View Full Version : starter program: am i doing it wrong?

Rob Chu
07-31-2014, 04:12 PM
So I am on the last week of the starter program and having been making pretty good gains. But since specific percentages and weights aren't prescribed, I think I may have been going too heavy. I intend to do the 4 week leg strength block next and when I input my current lifts the program spits out weights that are significantly below what I have been doing currently to the point where I am not sure if I will get a "full" workout.

I do admit, however, that this starter program has been pretty brutal on my body, so maybe I just went too heavy on the starter program and the leg strength program is closer to what I should "normally" be doing? If the leg strength block feels easy while I do it, should I increase the weights or stick to what is prescribed and focus on technique?

Daniel Villarreal
07-31-2014, 11:33 PM
I think it’s just a case of misjudging the overall load of the program. If memory serves, the leg strength block is a bit deceptive and the load may come as a bit of a surprise. I seem to remember stuff like 5x5 @ 80% or 8 sets of triples at 80%, which is really a good, strong workout. Also, when you say you input your current lifts, what exactly do you mean? Are you done with the starter program? You should be using the weights you hit at the end of the program, so as you’re still on it, you may be prescribing too little weight if you’re making significant progress at this point. Wait for those last heavy singles to see what weight you should be working from.

Rob Chu
08-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Thanks. Yes, I am using the numbers from the previous week. Tomorrow is my final heavy single day, so my lifts may increase, but I am guessing not by too much.