PDA

View Full Version : Good Drills to practice with a broomstick

Jonny Hammings
07-31-2014, 07:36 PM
I currently train 3 days a week and often multiple times during the my days off I do some broomstick work. Wondering if you guys have any specific really really good drills to practice to help my technique?

Gary Echternacht
08-01-2014, 05:02 AM
I don't use the broom stick often, usually only on off days when I'm doing some other type of exercise and I don't know if what I do is anything great for that matter. I do like to do very slow snatches with the broom stick where I pause at different places to check my balance, which for me means keeping the weight back on my heels. I'll increase the speed a little with each rep too, but not by much.

Gary Echternacht
08-02-2014, 05:31 AM
Ooops, forgot dislocates which I do every training session as part of my warm up.

colin dore
08-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Drop snatches/snatch balances helped me a lot when I was first learning the lifts. With such a lightweight bar, you really have to focus on dropping under the bar, as opposed to pressing it out. Look up the Burgener warm-up, those drills are excellent both for warming up and reinforcing technique. Also remember that after time, a wooden stick should be replaced by an empty bar. A lot of equipment sites have lightweight aluminum bars with the proper diameter, weighing 10-25 pounds. These bars are, imo, better for performing non-weighted drills as they give a better feel for the bar.