PDA

View Full Version : Ankle mobility problem

Baptiste Trigot
08-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Hi,
I have a real problem with my ankle mobility especially in the dorsiflexion and it keep me from doing a proper squat or snatch.

Because of this I have to bend over excessively in order to keep balance and not fall back.

Do you guys know any good ankle mobility program or routine that I can use in order to fix that?
I"ve been searching on the internet but I'm french and it's hard for me to read all the aticles and separate the good from the bad

P.s : found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwLM5n-rYmA but I can't even make a proper squat like he does at the beginning without bending.
Actually I think I can't do the all thing

Gary Echternacht
08-02-2014, 06:35 PM
The video in your PS is very good. I would do the two stretches suggested as best I could. If you do them often enough, I'm relatively sure your flexibility will improve.

Other than those two, you might do the traditional wall stretch where you stretch both the calf and soleus. Another you might try is lying on the floor with your legs on a wall, so your body is in an L position. From that L position, lower your feet until you are essentially doing a squat on the wall, i.e., feet on the wall and back flat on the floor.

The real key to increasing flexibility is to stretch often--several times every day. Improvement comes slowly, but with persistence and patience it will come.

Daniel Villarreal
08-03-2014, 12:09 AM
For dorsiflexion, I've found that holding a deep squatting position with your feet together really does the trick. It's tough, though, so as you have problems with that you'll probably need to hold on to something to get down at first. Use whatever you're holding on to in order to try to pull yourself forward into an upright position as your back will probably round at first due to the mobility constraints. Spend about a minute down there for two or three rounds every time you do mobility stuff (which should be often if you're having issues, just as Gary said) and you'll see progress faster than you think. You should be able to get to a deep squat with your feet together without assistance in no more than a month or two and give it another couple of months to be able to stay in a stable, upright position that way. Ankle mobility will never hinder your squat again.

Once you can get down without assistance, try variations as well, such as overhead squatting with your feet together.

colin dore
08-03-2014, 09:27 AM
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=143&m=PD&pid=1460
This little device works wonders for my calves. I'm on my feet all day at work, and often can't get into proper squat position because my calves get really frickin tight. A couple of minutes with this thingy before and after my warmup really helps out.

Baptiste Trigot
08-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Ok thanks a lot for the advices guys I'm going to work on this.