PDA

View Full Version : Use same grip as jerk for push press?

Rob Chu
08-04-2014, 12:28 PM
I start the jerk with open hands after I clean and grip the bar after the dip and drive. Should I be doing the same thing for the push press or should I grip the bar from the rack?

Gary Echternacht
08-04-2014, 12:39 PM
I always cringe when I hear that word "should." If I were you in doing a push press I would do as much as I could as when doing a jerk. Think of your push press as a jerk without a split.

Rob Chu
08-04-2014, 12:57 PM
not sure I follow. So you are saying I "should" use the same grip?

Gary Echternacht
08-04-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm saying I would use the same grip in the same way.

My cringing at the word should is my own thing I guess. To me should implies a best way of doing things, and I think that leaves no room for idiosyncrasies.

Blake Barnes
08-05-2014, 09:45 AM
I recommend doing the same as you do for your jerks.

Rob Chu
08-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Thanks.

Any suggestions on improving my front rack position? Out of everything in weightlifting its giving me the most trouble. No matter what I do - wide grip, narrow grip, elbows up, elbows down, closed hand, open hand, etc. there is always something that is in pretty bad pain or feels very weak - either my wrists, the inside of my elbows or my collarbone...

ive also been using voodoo floss on my elbows and stretching my wrists by getting on all fours and bending my hands back and forth and stretching my elbows by using a bar to push the elbows forward--but i am not seeing a ton of improvement...

Gary Echternacht
08-06-2014, 09:25 AM
I would suggest a huge dose of the 3 P's--patience, practice, and persistence. Pick a grip and then stick with it. Also flexibility comes slow, but rest assured it comes.

Rob Chu
08-06-2014, 09:29 AM
yeah, im trying to be patient..unfortunately my snatch is catching up to my c&j because the jerk...

Greg Everett
08-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Any suggestions on improving my front rack position? hold a bar on your back like a back squat with a full hand, jerk-width grip, and push your shoulders as far foward as you can, slightly, up and reach your elbows as far up and forward as you can. You'll likely feel this in the backs of your shoulders somewhere. Stretch primarily with that jerk grip, but also do it with narrower and wider grips and with full and open grips.

Rob Chu
08-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks. I will give that a shot.