PDA

View Full Version : Kettle-idiocy

James Evans
04-03-2007, 06:54 AM
Sorry, not cool, just silly:

http://www.artofstrength.com/Newsletter/tabid/75/newsid468/18/Default.aspx

Bobby Spencer
04-03-2007, 08:06 AM
I used to consider myself a fan of all things kettlebell related but this is a bit silly. Just because a movement is difficult does not mean it is functional. I can think of dozens of other and safer ways to get a core workout with kettlebells.

James Evans
04-03-2007, 08:15 AM
There are some very good videos on that site and I happily concede that he would hand me my sorry arse at any given moment (though I think I'd take him at Scrabble).

But that is just guff.

And I think renegade rows with kbs are a joke as well.

Dave Van Skike
04-03-2007, 09:46 AM
And I think renegade rows with kbs are a joke as well.

Why? I don't use them myself but they seem like they would be a good assist excercise.

James Evans
04-03-2007, 10:04 AM
An assist for what?

The risk of the kb flipping underneath you seems to me to far outweigh the benefit of performing a row like that.

Would you stand on a swiss ball to perform push presses?

Ok, I realise that's not quite the same...

Rows with dbs, preferably hexagonal ones are ok. I think performing it with kbs is just pushing the one tool does all campaign too far.

Raise the tempo and start doing burpees or even manmakers and more chance of slipping and injuring yourself.

Dave Van Skike
04-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Hmmm. Not sure how unstable it is. What you say makes sense. I'll give it a try and see what I think. Seems like the last time I tried them it was as an alternative to soem other ABdominal thing. seemed to work like one handed bench, more of a stabilization excercise than anything elses.

Catherine Imes
04-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Renegade Rows with an appropriately sized KB are not dangerous if done correctly..imo. I've never flipped one and I've done plenty. There are smaller KBs made with thinner handles where it is not appropriate and would be dangerous. But, I've done them on KBs ranging in size from 16kg to 32kg without a problem and I'm on the heavy side. For people who've made a KB investment and don't have hex dumbbells, they are a decent exercise if done correctly.

That being said, I wouldn't invest in KBs just for these types of exercises. They are just a possibility for those that have them that may not have anything else.

CI

Steve Shafley
04-03-2007, 11:32 AM
I think Anthony's small body mass makes some of that possible.

In addition, if that's the way he stretches his lower back, then he's going to have some problems down the road with it again.

Jason C. Brown
04-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I am the King of all Kettlebells and even I prefer Renegade Rows on DBs.

Mike ODonnell
04-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I've always feared the whole "KB flipping wrist snapping" when trying RR....so I agree Hex DB way to go for me....plus as mentioned above...can use in a complex with pushups, burpees, man makers, etc..etc...

Pierre Auge
04-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Never had a problem with Renegade rows on KB's myself, frankly if you are afraid that your wrists are going to snap while using them then maybe some slow easy concerted RR's with kbs are exactly what you need to strengthen your wrists.

Fear is the mind killer! - Bene Jesurite Saying

Hell if you can do them with 32kg kb's then I doubt VERY much that you will flip them unless you weigh WELL over 200lbs!

Though I agree cost to function ratio on db's are better, but get this, in my gym, I have 5 kettlebells, count them 5, I have 76 dumbbells. The 5 kettlebells get used 90% of the time and the db's get used the other 10% when the movement could go eitherway!

But to each his own I guess. I must admit I need more practice teaching good dumbbell move technique and so my knowledge of good kb movement being greater I'm sure makes me preferential to teaching the kb stuff.

Mike ODonnell
04-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Fear is one thing....training smart for injury prevention is another....no fun being out 6-8 weeks of no lifting. Just cause I have some rollerblades doesn't mean I want to do squats on them....thats just my attitude at this point in life after many setbacks in injuries...then again for fun I do squats on a swiss ball....so I never claimed to be smart.....

Dave Van Skike
04-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Tried out a few sets of renegade rows at lunch today. Used a set of DD 24 kilo KB's..........disaster!

I'm resting comfortably now. Looking at a 12 week recovery from shattered wrists (both) compound fracture of radius and ulna (again, both arms), ruptured spleen and jock itch. I'm pretty sure I already had the ruptured spleen though.

James Evans
04-04-2007, 03:19 AM
I guess you typed that with your nose then.