PDA

View Full Version : Potatos

Troy Archie
04-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Ok, so sweet potatos, yams, parsnips, squash are all paleo but why not just regular old potatos?

Robb Wolf
04-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Troy-

They are a better option than grains but just easy to over do. Especially if you scramble them with eggs and onions then cover the whole mess with salsa...

Mark Gebhard
04-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Regular potatoes are also nightshades. Read the section about toxic compounds in the Wikipedia potato article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato).

Troy Archie
04-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Well anythings easy to over-do, why aren't sweet potatoes easy to overdo? I'm just looking at and comparing the macro-calorie break downs of certain starchy foods and potatos don't rate too bad. As for the argument of nightshades well if I was avoiding nightshade I wouldn't get to eat tomatos, capsicums, or eggplant which would suck.

Carb - Fiber - Sugar
Yam - 27.58 - 3.9 - 0.49
sweet - 20.71 - 3.3 - 6.48
potatoe - 20.01 - 1.8 - 0.85
parsnips - 17.01 - 3.6 - 4.8
squash - 14.58 - 4.4 - N/A

Now I haven't eaten potatoes in a long time and I do my best to avoid them but I see people recommending yams and sweet potatoes plus they're both in many of the PM recipes(god love them) but you never see regular potatoes. In fact they're pretty ostracized and shunned...

He's asking too many questions and shows the signs on thinking on his own, raise the alarm.

Robb Wolf
04-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Well anythings easy to over-do, why aren't sweet potatoes easy to overdo? I'm just looking at and comparing the macro-calorie break downs of certain starchy foods and potatos don't rate too bad. As for the argument of nightshades well if I was avoiding nightshade I wouldn't get to eat tomatos, capsicums, or eggplant which would suck.

Carb - Fiber - Sugar
Yam - 27.58 - 3.9 - 0.49
sweet - 20.71 - 3.3 - 6.48
potatoe - 20.01 - 1.8 - 0.85
parsnips - 17.01 - 3.6 - 4.8
squash - 14.58 - 4.4 - N/A

Now I haven't eaten potatoes in a long time and I do my best to avoid them but I see people recommending yams and sweet potatoes plus they're both in many of the PM recipes(god love them) but you never see regular potatoes. In fact they're pretty ostracized and shunned...

He's asking too many questions and shows the signs on thinking on his own, raise the alarm.

Yep, all those other dense carb sources can obviously be over done. That said I prefer starchier carbs for post workout feeding to preferentially refill muscle glycogen instead of liver glycogen. Nightshades CAN be problematic in arthritic conditions...ditching them might suck but significant anecdotal and research information supports their removal or limitation dietary. Talk to coach Burgner for his take on that.

i don't view these things as hard fast rules but rather probabilities and relative trade-offs. Are dense carb sources BAD? obviously not depending on how they are utilized. Are nightshades BAD? Perhaps for some people, under certain conditions.

Problems arise when we try to impose a strict systems of rules instead of understanding the nuances.

Mark Madonna
04-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Look at the micronutrients of Potatos vs sweets, I thought I remembered reading sweet potatoes, carrots, and starchy vegetables other than potatoes just have more micronutrients and are not as poisonous.

I heard that if you eat a raw potato you could die?
I did not know if that is true but I did not want to try it to find out. Has anyone else tried it?

bill brasky
04-04-2007, 09:00 AM
All,

I grew up working my family's farm eating any vegetables in the garden any way: cooked, raw, etc... Potatoes (both seet and not) were certainly grown as well. I'm still alive. I'm not very strong, but still breathing.

Bleu

Robb Wolf
04-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Look at the micronutrients of Potatos vs sweets, I thought I remembered reading sweet potatoes, carrots, and starchy vegetables other than potatoes just have more micronutrients and are not as poisonous.

I heard that if you eat a raw potato you could die?
I did not know if that is true but I did not want to try it to find out. Has anyone else tried it?

Mark-

Way better nutrition from the sweet's and yams. I;'ve heard about some serious GI upset form raw/undercooked potatoes but i think it would be tough to kill with a raw spud!

Chris Forbis
04-04-2007, 03:38 PM
i think it would be tough to kill with a raw spud!

You have obviously never fired a potato cannon.

Robb Wolf
04-04-2007, 03:53 PM
You have obviously never fired a potato cannon.

No Sir...I have not. But I am potato cannon curious...

Troy Archie
04-04-2007, 05:01 PM
You can eat a raw potatoe but if it goes bad, aka green, it can kill you or make you sick. You can't even use the bad/green ones to livestock or use it as compost actually. More reason to avoid them I suppose. For some reason I know without even having to look into it the nutrition point stands.

I'm having really good results keep the dense, starchy carbs to only my post workout meal and have even been even limiting my fruit to that window too.

I'd be interesting in hearing coach Burgener's take on the nightshade issue but can't find much, nothing in fact on nutrition on his site. To the Crossfit forum I go. Blah.

Thanks for the input

Robb Wolf
04-04-2007, 05:30 PM
You can eat a raw potatoe but if it goes bad, aka green, it can kill you or make you sick. You can't even use the bad/green ones to livestock or use it as compost actually. More reason to avoid them I suppose. For some reason I know without even having to look into it the nutrition point stands.

I'm having really good results keep the dense, starchy carbs to only my post workout meal and have even been even limiting my fruit to that window too.

I'd be interesting in hearing coach Burgener's take on the nightshade issue but can't find much, nothing in fact on nutrition on his site. To the Crossfit forum I go. Blah.

Thanks for the input
just shoot him an email directly.

Pierre Auge
04-04-2007, 06:40 PM
No Sir...I have not. But I am potato cannon curious...

Geeze what do you think the Canadian Army uses in Afghanistan? Screw a 25mm Bushmaster Canon when you can fire a 60mm PEI red! One of those babies will put a hole through a brick wall..

Definately lethal in the wrong hands!