PDA

View Full Version : Study on 2 meals versus 6 meals with same caloric consumption.

Allen Yeh
04-04-2007, 05:45 AM
Iwao S, et al. Effects of meal frequency on body composition during weight control in boxers. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 1996 Oct;6(5):265-72.

The effects of meal frequency on changes in body composition by food restriction were investigated. Twelve boxers were divided between a two meals day-1 group (the 2M group) and a six meals day-1 group (the 6M group). Both groups ingested 5.02 MJ (1200 kcal) day-1 for 2 weeks. Although there was no difference in change of body weight by food restriction between the two groups, the decrease in lean body mass (LBM) was significantly greater in the 2M group than in the 6M group. The decrease in urinary 3-methylhistidine/creatinine was significantly greater in the 6M group than in the 2M group. These results suggest that the lower frequency of meal intake leads to a greater myoprotein catabolism even if the same diet is consumed.

This study was cited in an article recently promoting the whole 6 meals a day...etc I haven't been able to google the entire study so if anyone else has better luck I'd like to read up on it.

Mike ODonnell
04-04-2007, 06:23 AM
I am sure the whole 2 meals were breakfast and dinner....which if presented in that way are not the same as doing an IF with calories in a restricted window...as once you eat, the IF protein/muscle saving mechanisms for are reset/turned off.....or at least that's how my feeble mind looks at it.

So in a sense....yes eating smaller frequent meals is better than 2 spread throughout the whole day....now they should try 6 vs the same cal in a smaller time window....say 4-5 hours...and see what happens.

Scotty Hagnas
04-04-2007, 06:56 AM
I'd also venture a guess that the meals consumed in the study were pretty high carb, which would have led to excessive protein breakdown to replenish glycogen. With low carb/Paleo food choices, the body would have burned fat preferentially, while sparing muscle.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland

Robb Wolf
04-04-2007, 07:34 AM
I wonder if nitrogen retention increased near the end of the two week period? Did the 2 meal per day folks loose lean mass early on and then as they became fat adapted things started shifting?

It's interesting because we just are not seeing muscle wasting with intermittent fasting. Another issue is they combined both limited feedings AND caloric restriction!

Allen Yeh
04-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Anyone with any luck on finding the entire study?

Neal Winkler
04-04-2007, 08:15 AM
I thought my Uni would have an online subscription, but no go.