PDA

View Full Version : How overweight have you been?

kevin mckay
04-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Curious as a former fat guy, If I do not work out and do not eat right my body likes to be around 210-220. I am 39 yo currently 175lb for the last 2 years and in pretty darn good shape, probably better than high school but my body wants to be fat so it takes constant effort and vigilance. Anyway wanted to see who else is a recovering large person.

Cheers
Thank god for pale, zone, IF and GPP!

Catherine Imes
04-06-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm 5'4 and I've been close to 220 around Jan 2006(no one would believe I weighed that). My weight now is around 185 and it's held there steady for awhile. I tend to plateau for few months then start losing again..I've started losing again now because i'm really cleaning up my diet and started consuming the missing veggies through a Vita Mix (Thanks to Kelly Moore for the idea).

I tend to carry a lot of muscle for a female. On a good day, I can knock off a couple of of strict pullups at my current weight..So, while my strength to BW ratio isn't great, it is much better than it was. I figure I probably need to drop another 35lbs.

CI

Troy Archie
04-06-2007, 10:25 PM
5'-10" 200lbs

Nothing too major but I was just pure flab. It's like if you took the skinny 130lbs kid but added 70lbs of fat, you'd get me.

Ronnie Ashlock
04-06-2007, 10:50 PM
My heaviest was in 1996 years when I weighed 235 @ 5'11" with no exercise and a bad diet. I started running consistently 10 years ago after looking in the mirror and being disgusted with what I saw staring, slack-jawed, back at me. About 4 years later, after figuring out the output (exercise) and input (food) ratio I got down to 170. About a year-and-a-half later, I got it all the way down to 155, but wasn't eating much (one meal a day - I guess was doing a screwed-up, incorrect version intermittent fasting without realizing it) and did nothing but run 7 miles every day which gave me the strength of a newborn kitten. About 3-and-a-half years ago I started weight training with a friend and stumbled onto Crossfit through my training partner friend. Trained with him for about two years before he moved across the country and then I just did Crossfit exclusively for about 8 months. My interest in Olympic weightlifting took off from there and that's where I'm at now. I'm not so interested in getting good WOD scores, but have a lot of respect for what Crossfit can do for a person. Currently, and for the foreseeable future, my main goal is in improving as much as I can in the Olympic lifts while not packing on any fat.

Last time I weighed myself, about a month ago, I was 189, but I don't look fat and I still have a noticeable jawline (when the jawline disappears, that's when I know I'm getting tubby). I'll weigh in tomorrow for a local lifting meet and it'll be interesting to see where I'm at.

I eat clean about 80 to 85% of the time. I went about 3.5 years totally hardcore on Atkins and had 100% compliance. I never strayed. Did the Zone for about six weeks when I first started Crossfit and thought "This ain't for me." MLB (Meat Leaves Berries) works best because I don't have to think about it and it is generally self-limiting (almost impossible for me to overeat on it) and I feel great. Now, I have protein shakes a few times a day and I don't seem to be getting fat. I only make allowances for dessert a few times a year - at Thanksgiving, Christmas and the occasional family member's birthday. It would be no problem for me to pork up again fast, so I know I have to be diligent or it's game over and I might as well get an insulin drip.

Steve Shafley
04-07-2007, 05:15 AM
5'11.5"

265-270# on average.

I'm working on dropping it. I've gotten a bit nervous about carrying around this much weight at the age of 38, considering there's really no performance benefit to it.

I'm focusing on a loss of bodyfat, though, not on scale weight.

I need to implement some lifestyle changes, on a permanent basis, really.

Robb Wolf
04-07-2007, 07:49 AM
I tend to be on the other extreme. Skiiiinay! I worked up to 198 (5'9") for a PL meet once. I had to eat literally all day long AND set an alarm to eat during the middle of the night. Not a pretty picture, not a lot of fun.

Steve Liberati
04-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Maybe overweight in my eyes....but far from it in reality. Some minor self-perception issues in the past. Minor issues at that...but something that constantly drives me to be in great shape and leaner than my present state of health and fitness.

My wife tells me I'm like a girl sometimes spending too much time worrying about my weight:o Tell her, at least its not the other way around...where I could give a shit like so many other guys out there.

Derek Simonds
04-07-2007, 09:29 AM
When I was in college I was riding BMX all the time. I got a job selling cars and went from very active to very inactive instantly. I was working 70 hours a week partying Wednesday through Sunday and drinking 44 oz sodas all through the day to keep awake. I won a trip to Cancun and my girl took a picture of me playing beach volleyball with no shirt on. I had skinny arms and a pot belly. Not so happy. That was when I decided I needed to change. I probably didn't weigh much more than now it just was all in the wrong places.

I have done the same thing as Dave I went the endurance route lost a ton of weight. I didn't really like the POW look I was sporting so I went to a traditional BB'ing split and started eating like a fiend. It wasn't clean and I ended up around 205 and lifting more than I ever have. Still didn't like where I was and stumbled on Crossfit 2 years ago. The 6 months I played with it than beginning of last year I started doing the WOD exclusively. I shed fat, and increased my GPP a ton. I can't lift as much as before but that is all changing again.

I slowly modified my diet and am really focusing on (P + F + V) and (P + C) model that we have talked about in the mass gain thread.

Currently I am right at 190 and around 12% BF, not too bad for 6'1". I have really broad shoulders so I think I could easily hold 10 -15 lb's more of muscle. My main goal now is to add some more muscle and build strength.

Jamila Bey
04-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I gained 65# in two years from Depo-Provera injections in 2000-2001 and topped out at ~235#. I'm 5'9" and I'd like to imagine that carry a HUGE amount of muscle for a girl. At my smallest in college I was 165# and I don't know my BF% but I had a visible 4pack and I was a size 8-10. I don't think I should ever be as small as an 8 again because that is just too skinny for my body.

Right now, I'm playing football and O-lifting and I'm at 198, the lowest I've been since the "great breakup diet of 03" when I got down to 185 and looked FANTASTIC (If I say so myself!) There's an outfit I've got to be in my the end of May and I'm V-dieting again (12 pounds in 2 weeks the 1st time I did it!) to make sure I get there.

Mike ODonnell
04-07-2007, 10:40 AM
never really that overweight at 200lbs (6'1")....just more bodyfat as a kid....looked bigger.....I'm only 10lbs lighter than I was in college....but look like I lost a lot more due to the lower BF%...

Chuck Kechter
04-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Maybe overweight in my eyes....but far from it in reality. Some minor self-perception issues in the past. Minor issues at that...but something that constantly drives me to be in great shape and leaner than my present state of health and fitness.

My wife tells me I'm like a girl sometimes spending too much time worrying about my weight:o Tell her, at least its not the other way around...where I could give a shit like so many other guys out there.

I hear this... My performance (on the mat, or in the gym) is good -- but I hate seeing myself in pictures and the like... :(

I have been as high as 201lbs. But felt like the south bound end of a north bound mule. I am at 191 or so now, and working to get back to my "normal" weight of 180-185.

Onwards and upwards.

Ron Nelson
04-07-2007, 04:50 PM
All you skinny bastards are posers.

When I was 22: 6'3" (same height today) 310lbs. You read that right. 310.
Three bills. I may have topped out at 320. Don't know. Stopped weighing myself. I also smoked, drank, (that hasn't changed), and was depressed because I couldn't find a girl who like me for my "personality."
Stayed that way until I was 24. Guys in the warehouse bet me and another guy we couldn't lose 20 lbs in a month.

We did.

I never looked back. Lost 100 lbs in a year. Stayed there until I got married and got up to 245. No working out, drinking good beer, and eating everything not nailed down. Did Atkins; lost 45 lbs; and have been between 210-220 for the past 3 years. Now, I'm strictly strength training (cardio only occasionally) and will start an IF next week to lose some fat and keep what little muscle I have gained.

Top that.

David Wood
04-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Haven't been actually "fat" since high school, but that was pretty bad. About 5' 1" then, 145 pounds, not much of it muscle. The kinder nicknames included "butterball" . . .

Started "aerobics" (Kenneth Cooper style (we're talking 1971 here)), got up to running 30 miles / week. Dropped back to about 115 pounds (arguably right for that height). *Finally* started growing into my adult height then (5' 6" now, 36 years later).

Been anywhere from 150 - 160 for the last 20 years. Can be either fat or thin at those weight(s), depending on how much I'm working out. Probably the ideal is 155 and relatively lean (say, after 6 months of steady CrossFit). Right now I'm at that weight, but not particulalry lean (still trying to work around a torn-up shoulder, which is gradually costing me my upper-body msucle mass).

Allen Yeh
04-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Back in college I was really into the whole bodybuilding type stuff and the magazines like Flex, Muscular Development...etc So of course I did a "bulk" period. I'm not really sure how much I was eating at this time but it was par for the course to eat 2 Chipotle burritos in one sitting as one of my many meals of the day. Other meals would have been 1# of ground turkey+1/2 box of spahgetti...etc

I got up to a swole 220 at 5'9" but my bodyfat had shot up to 20%+, prebulk I was sitting at 185 around 12-15%. I didn't care for it very much I loved the way I felt in terms of feeling "big" but didn't like the way I looked with my shirt off. After that I cut down to ~183# at like 8% which was the leanest I'd ever been before.

Kelly Moore
04-08-2007, 08:13 AM
I was well over 165# in 1981 when I moved to Wisconsin. After the move, I became more depressed...I stopped looking at a scale, continued to eat crap, drink booze and sit on my fat butt feeling sorry for myself. I don't know at what weight I finally topped out before I decided to do something about it.

That may not sound like much, but on a light framed 5' tall woman it's more than a couple rolls under the chin and around the middle. :eek:

Ken Urakawa
04-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I keep picturing Allen as Cartman--"Beefcake!!"

Allen Yeh
04-08-2007, 01:03 PM
I keep picturing Allen as Cartman--"Beefcake!!"

"I'm not fat just big boned!!"

Allison Barns
04-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I was 5' 8" and 250#+ in junior high...no fun. I reached my current height of 5' 11" in high school and have been from as low as 150# (twice) to as high as 230#. Currently at 190#. The lows of 150# came from (1) Unhealthy strict diet + jogging and (2) 'the great break-up diet of 01' (stealing Jamila's phrase) plus several months of tonsillitis/sinus infections plus surgery for tonsillitis/sinus infections. People thought I looked way too thin at 150#. The highs came from good old eating and lack of exericse. The extreme highs were back when I ate gluten and dairy (and lots of both). Eliminating those have done wonders for my health!

Mark Madonna
04-09-2007, 12:22 PM
6'0"
230 junior in high school,
215 Graduating senior,
Range from 200-245 based on activity level
220 senior college, and slowly crept up to
235 last year before knee surgery and started the Paleo diet
255 now after rugby season and lifting heavy on mondays, and a week in Wales which required drinking a couple Guinness every day to stay healthy.

I would be really lean at 230-235, but highly lack motivation in eating, drinking, and lift/metcon/lsd(hikes) more/better

Scott Kustes
04-10-2007, 05:10 AM
5'10, 188, <10% BF now. Early 2004, before heading off to school, I was approaching 200 with probably 18% BF. Knowing I was leaving, I was skipping workouts to spend time with the girlfriend and eating crappy lunches with the guys at work too often for several months beforehand. Then I got to Notre Dame, buckled into the Zone and starting CFing full-time, along with weekly full-court basketball games. The weight dropped off in no time, although I wasn't significantly more muscular, to the point that when I came home 6 weeks later for 4th of July, my mother was worried that I wasn't eating. After graduation, I dropped the PWO shakes, started Paleo, then IF and dropped below 10% and have hovered between 182 and 188 for the past year. This range seems to be my set point, above or below which requires drastic increases/decreases to my food intake.

Allen Yeh
04-10-2007, 07:06 AM
5'10, 188, <10% BF now. Early 2004, before heading off to school, I was approaching 200 with probably 18% BF. Knowing I was leaving, I was skipping workouts to spend time with the girlfriend and eating crappy lunches with the guys at work too often for several months beforehand. Then I got to Notre Dame, buckled into the Zone and starting CFing full-time, along with weekly full-court basketball games. The weight dropped off in no time, although I wasn't significantly more muscular, to the point that when I came home 6 weeks later for 4th of July, my mother was worried that I wasn't eating. After graduation, I dropped the PWO shakes, started Paleo, then IF and dropped below 10% and have hovered between 182 and 188 for the past year. This range seems to be my set point, above or below which requires drastic increases/decreases to my food intake.

It's kind of cool knowing what your set point is, isn't it?

For me it's like I know I'm doing alright if I can just stay around this range without altering my food too much.