PDA

View Full Version : Once More Into the Breach

Steve Shafley
04-09-2007, 01:00 PM
So, I'm back on the IF bandwagon.

7:30 AM Coffee + 2 tbs of half and half, supplements.

10:30 AM: Hunger pangs. Intense desire to indulge my sweet tooth with all the easter candy and treats lying around.

2:15 to 3:45: Workout. 10x3 in the front squat. No metcon because the intrepid Miss Samara awoke from her nap early.

At this point, I'm not hungry, and I'm drinking some yerba mate. My corundum is that I'm going to eat dinner around 5:30 PM. Do I extend the fast or should I break it right now.

I'm inclined to push it.

It's kind of a masochistic thing for me. I get a tendency to push the fast for longer periods of time.

Robert Allison
04-09-2007, 01:51 PM
It's kind of a masochistic thing for me.

Is it that or the euphoria? ;)

If you're not hungry, let it go a while longer.

Steve Shafley
04-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Maybe it's the euphoria. I went ~30 hours or so with nothing to eat when I visited Dan John earlier this year.

Robert Allison
04-09-2007, 02:37 PM
30 hours is pretty good.

I'm not sure what's the longest I've gone in an IF type scenario. I've done some longer-term detox type fasting in the past, most of which involve drinking some type of foul tasting beverage. Trust me, some of this stuff is so bad, you would really rather not have anything.

Still, once you get past the first day or so, the hunger pangs tend to go away.

Robb Wolf
04-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Steve-
Looks good. If your primary goal is leaning out extending the fast a bit is fine. It will certainly reverse any type of insulin resistance ASAP. Get all the suffering out of the way up front!

Steve Liberati
04-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Steve-
Looks good. If your primary goal is leaning out extending the fast a bit is fine. It will certainly reverse any type of insulin resistance ASAP. Get all the suffering out of the way up front!

Extend it to what point Robb? How many hours would you consider ideal for purposes of leaning out?

Pierre Auge
04-10-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm having great luck with anywhere between 12 - 20 hours, some days I'll go 24. Depends on my activity plans if that helps, but I'm also going very low carb which is really rockin right now. Even my metcon is ok surprisingly!

I hope thats helpful...

Ron Nelson
04-10-2007, 09:02 PM
If Shaf can IF, so can I. Unfortunately on vacation this week (did I say unfortunately?) and will start next week when the schedule is back to normal.

I'm interested in seeing how this goes with you, Steve as we are about the same size (about being the kicker here; I'm 6'3" 220 or so).

Dave Van Skike
04-10-2007, 10:14 PM
oooh do I see a race?
I'm in.

Steve Shafley
04-11-2007, 05:06 AM
I started at 5'11.5" (gotta get the .5...I swear I was 6' when I was 20, though!) and at 272.

My biggest problem now is that when I eat, I eat a lot of crap. The easter candy situation is hard to resist. It's like a classic food addiction thing. I've got to go paleo or lowcarb to get out of that rut.

Dave Van Skike
04-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Alright. I'll tack in tonight. 5'10 Likely around 212. I'd bet 20%BF based on the DOD formula.

Ron Nelson
04-11-2007, 04:58 PM
I started at 5'11.5" (gotta get the .5...I swear I was 6' when I was 20, though!) and at 272.

My biggest problem now is that when I eat, I eat a lot of crap. The easter candy situation is hard to resist. It's like a classic food addiction thing. I've got to go paleo or lowcarb to get out of that rut.

I can relate. I had an awful sweet tooth until I did Atkins. Now, I can take or leave candy and leave it most of the time. I'm sure you'll find the same results.

In other news: Did my first fast today. 3 minutes and counting until 5 p.m. PDT. Even did a metcon workout and feel pretty good. I've been drinking water, diet soda, and green tea like a fiend. Lots of belching and peeing, but no headache like I anticipated. I'm going for it tomorrow as well.

Going to fix grilled chicken tacos and some bratwurst for dinner (sounds like a funny combo, but I'm emptying the freezer), maybe a beer as well.

Like I said, I'm on vacation.

Game on.

Ron Nelson
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
8 minutes to go until the fast starts for day 2.
I had about 4.5 tacos, some peanut butter filled pretzels, a handful of trail mix, two beers (Newcastle and Shiner), an ice cream sandwich (guess I still have the sweet tooth to a certain extent). I'm really feeling full.

Sorry about the hijack. Guess it's the euphoria.

Steve Shafley
04-12-2007, 05:09 AM
Mine ususually start between 7 and 9 PM.

Allen Yeh
04-12-2007, 05:12 AM

I used to think I was 5'10" until I was told I was 5'8" then I was told I was 5'9" so I'm sticking with that number!

Steve Shafley
04-12-2007, 07:53 AM
it's a rough one today.

I took a shot of Bragg's ACV in water on an empty stomach and almost threw it up immediately..the salivary glands started at it, which is always a bad sign.

Then I switched to mate instead of coffee for today, and I'm getting that caffiene dep headache, which is normally not something that happens.

Finally, I was cooking breakfast for the kids, some nice apple chicken sausage and hashbrowns, and I was seriously jonesing for some food.

Still kind of nauseous now. I suspect my blood sugar is hovering right on the level of ketosis.

Dave Van Skike
04-12-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm going 9pm to 4:30-5:00PM. Started IF on Monday. Weighed in at 212 dead on last night. I'll give this thing a month, see how it goes.

Rick Deckart
04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
So if I understand that correctly IF means to start eating after a certain time, say 13pm, correct? I almost never have breakfast and usually don't eat before 13pm and I am doing that for a couple of years now. Infact quite a few of my workouts are done in a good food deprived state.

Ron Nelson
04-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Steve,
What's Bragg's ACV?

Just finishing Day 2 of the fasting. Ready to eat. . .a lot.

Apple chicken sausage? Sounds excellent right now. Good thing I have leftover brats from last night.

Chris Forbis
04-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Ron-

Bragg's ACV is a brand of raw, organic, unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar (with the mother). I find it does an awesome job of hydrating me and it makes fasting easier.

Steve Shafley
04-12-2007, 06:22 PM
What Chris said.

Today was a hideous day. Low grade headache all day, and I'm sleeping like shit, moving into ketosis right before I break the fast.

Steve Liberati
04-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Steve,
ACV and water is good when fasting, but tea is a god-send (at least for me). TJ's sells all kinds of flavors fairly cheap. Just bought chocolate flavored tea bags on Sun and I already went thru the entire box. Usually make a hot cup of tea with a splash of coconut milk and a tsp or two of liquid stevia. Works great to silence that sweet tooth, rehydrate, and distract your mind from food. Also keep reminding yourself that your 3/4 of the way over the bridge. Once you cross its all down hill from there. Keep trucking!

Mike ODonnell
04-12-2007, 06:47 PM
some would say the headache is a good sign of toxins being released into the bloodstream....the trick is flushing them out and not letting them get reabsorbed.....aka drink water, increase blood flow and sweat through the largest organ you have, the skin......your sweat should stink bad...again...that's a good thing....

ACV is a good blood ph balancer...and with the fast it goes to work in the blood stream and joints breaking down calcium and other buildups...hence it is recommended for anyone with osteoarthritis (joint specific, non autoimmune)

Ron Nelson
04-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Chris,
Thanks.

I think I ate too much, too fast and now feel like crap. I'll see how this goes as time goes on.

Allen Yeh
04-13-2007, 04:49 AM
Chris,
Thanks.

I think I ate too much, too fast and now feel like crap. I'll see how this goes as time goes on.

This does get easier with time. I've found that now my body is weirdly able to handle when I "accidentally" eat an entire pizza from papa johns that I rebound back from it quicker than I did when I was eating throughout the day.

Steve Shafley
04-13-2007, 04:56 AM
I forgot about the detox effect.

That and caffiene dep was probably most of it, since I've been dealing with every day since I started.

Dave Van Skike
04-13-2007, 08:18 AM
it's the coffee I'm pretty sure. I had the same prob yesterday. drank a cup of warmed over rot java at 6pm and felt instantly better; pushed the fast on until 7:30.

Ron Nelson
04-15-2007, 09:38 AM
I was interested to see the comment on sleep as I haven't been sleeping well for the past couple of nights. I'm on the 5th day of fasting and I need to sleep better.

Greg Davis
04-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Good sleep continues to evade me... I wake up several times at night and can't seem to figure it out. I eliminated cold showers in the PM and thought that would help but I'm waking up. Don't drink liquids after a certain time so I don't have to go to the bathroom when I wake up so thats not the issue. And I have my windows covered so its completely dark..

Anyone have any good sleep tips??

Greg Davis
04-15-2007, 09:58 AM
After exhausting pretty much every possibility I'm convinced that my problem is SAD.. not getting enough sunlight its hard to straighten out my sleep pattern hormones. I haven't been able to catch a day of sunlight since the fall! Come on spring weather lets get on with it already..

Ron Nelson
04-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Well, I'm on day 6 (I had to rearrange the schedule over the weekend, but stuck with it) and this had ben the hardest in memory. But then, memory lapse is probably what keeps us coming back to stave ourselves for 19 hours at a time.

Lightheaded and lethargic today. I'm interested to see if Shaf is sticking with it and how's it going. I like to think of this as our little support group on the internets.

Steve Shafley
04-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Not bad, was 266 this morning.

Only coffee until ~4 today (which is right now).

Dave Van Skike
04-17-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm pretty much fully adapted but,... I'm asking myself daily, ...why am I doing this? No measureable body comp changes in a week but I've not been stingy with the calls until yesterday, stayed at about 2500 kcal. No real impact to my workouts, I will try soem more intense stuff later this week. One tough thing, my coffe consumption has gone up and it's messing with my sleep. Need to cut out coffee after about 2:00

Ron Nelson
04-17-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm with you there on the kcals. Last night I woofed two huge helpings of spaghetti (with lots of meat sauce made with ground turkey). I still probably didn't get over 2500 even with dessert (Breyer's light ice cream bars. . .they rule).
Slept better last night except for a toothache that can't be explained.

Today, I'm Jonesing for anything. Green tea has helped, but the pangs are pretty powerful. Just have to keep telling myself it's all in my head.

Allen Yeh
04-18-2007, 04:45 AM
I'm pretty much fully adapted but,... I'm asking myself daily, ...why am I doing this? No measureable body comp changes in a week but I've not been stingy with the calls until yesterday, stayed at about 2500 kcal. No real impact to my workouts, I will try soem more intense stuff later this week. One tough thing, my coffe consumption has gone up and it's messing with my sleep. Need to cut out coffee after about 2:00

I've found that I can't tolerate caffeine as well as I used to when I am IF'ing.

Ron Nelson
04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
On the 10th day and I'm fucking starving. That said, I do believe I underfed last night. Had some snakcs to end the fast and didn't eat a meal until 8:30. Even then, the meal was around 500 cals. Had an ice cream bar before 10:00 (200 cals) and that was it. Maybe 1500 cals in my 5 hr window.
So today, I hurt. Might have to sneak in a choco milk before the lifting today.

Ron Nelson
04-23-2007, 09:40 AM
I survived Friday and weighed in 6 lbs lighter since starting. I think the Fast-5 book mentions going 8-10 days before weight loss occurs. I probably shed a lot of water weight and some fat, maybe it was fat.
No appreciable loss of strength. Did some decent rack pulls and shoulder presses and felt great. That night, I ate like a man possessed: 2 slices of pizza, some hot wings (how's that, MOD?) salad, trail mix, peanut butter filled pretzles, beer, some more beer, ice cream.

I've also noticed some body comp changes around the ol' mid section. . .finally.

Robb Wolf
04-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Ron, that is some prodigious eating! Kreiki!

Ron Nelson
04-24-2007, 08:01 AM
To tell the truth, I've been afraid of not eating enough on days I train. Fridays and Saturdays have been "beer days" and holding off until 5 p.m. has been a challenge.

Ron Nelson
05-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Now that my hijack is complete, this update: although my weight is still only down 5 or 6 lbs, my fat has decreased. How do I know this?
Today, for the first time in months, I could put on a certain pair of pants and not feel like I was squeezing into them. Normally, I would just put up with the snugness of the pants and admire my shapely ass. Today, I was actually comfortable. . . and my ass was still shapely.

One drawback of the IF has been my wife's concern that I now have an eating disorder that I'm passing along to the kids. So, to appease her and still IF, I'm cutting the fast from 19 to 15 hours on the weekend. During the week it's still 18-19 hours without much effort. Occasionally, on high activity days, I'll have a snack around 3 or 4 p.m. and then eat dinner around 5:30.

In all, a good experience. Thanks for getting this started, Steve.