PDA

View Full Version : Dumbbell/KB complexes

Greg Everett
10-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Favorites out there? This is one I like using for the overhead-stability-challenged:

1-arm snatch (not power snatch) +
2-3 Sotts press +
Overhead squat +
2-3 Windmill

Yael Grauer
10-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Ooh, I'd love some more ideas too. Sometimes I warm up with real light DB's. Deadlifts/cleans/push press/squats or swings/push press/thruster/squat. I've been meaning to try out some of these killer combos: http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html :eek:

Steve Shafley
10-16-2006, 05:43 AM
Burgener's 100:

2H squat-pulls: 20
1H squat-pulls: 10+10
2H swings: 20
1H swings: 10+10
1H snatches: 10+10

I like assymetrical (1 handed) circuits/complexes:

Snatch + Press + OHS

I also like simple combinations like:

R hand thruster + L hand thruster + pushups

The Dan John WTH warm-up:

halos+goblet squats+windmills

I use kbs primarily for GPP stuff and conditioning and warm ups.

Russell Greene
10-21-2006, 02:35 PM
turkish get up to one arm snatch to squat clean thruster

double db rockback squat to thruster to double swing

left arm bridge press, right arm bridge press, rockback squat to thruster

And my favorite: One arm split snatch walking lunges - do a one arm split snatch, bring your back leg forward while pushing with the front leg's heel, let the bell down, repeat, for distance.

Ken Urakawa
10-22-2006, 08:03 AM
And my favorite: One arm split snatch walking lunges - do a one arm split snatch, bring your back leg forward while pushing with the front leg's heel, let the bell down, repeat, for distance.

Do you find that this teaches you to step forward on he split, rather than keeping the body stationary and moving the legs to a support position?

Robb Wolf
10-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Complexes are some super potent medicine. I think Rutman used these as warm-ups to pack in some low-ish intensity skill work before he won the National Masters OL championship.

I see these as being VERY similar to the demands of a gymnastics routine. Coordinated movement flowing from one element to another. Javoric used these to add muscle to his athletes apparently. Good shite.

Greg Everett
10-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Ken - I think it has the potential to create bad habits, but I would say just try to balance out walking lunges with split jerk practice where you're recovering as you would in the lifts. I think it would only be potentially problematic with someone who has little or no o-lifting experience and hasn't yet developed good habits in that discipline.

mike stehle
10-22-2006, 06:05 PM
One of my favorites, it's a smoker

Double kb snatch/front squat/press

Robb Wolf
10-24-2006, 02:56 PM
MIKE!!
do you lower the KB's to the shoulders after the snatch? Then squat?

Jeremy Jones
10-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Kb/Db one arm snatch, drop down kick legs out (burpee style),
push up with hand still on Kb/Db,
switch hand and do another push up on the other side,
stand up and start over.

mike stehle
10-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Rob,

Yes, snatch overhead, drop down into the rack, squat, explode up to a press.

Yael Grauer
11-02-2006, 06:12 PM
This isn't a kb/db complex, but I just tried a Ross Enamait (tm) medicine ball interval thingie today, and it was exhausting! All it was was 8 rounds (no rest) of 10 medicine ball choppers, 15 slams and 10 burpees. And I was only using an 8 lb ball! I didn't realize how wiped I was until I attempted to run back to work afterwards. :D

thomas beasley
11-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I am not sure if this would count as a complex but I have been playing around with Turkish Get Ups and Man Makers. I start with a TGU, once in the standing position I go into the man maker, and then work down to the start of the TGU.

Motion MacIvor
11-20-2006, 09:41 PM
I really like man makers. I find them easy to remember when I'm hypoxic.

Craig Cooper
11-21-2006, 08:24 AM
what's a man maker?

Steve Shafley
11-21-2006, 12:07 PM
I did the "GE" complex today.

1H snatch
1H OHS
1H Sott's Press
Windmill

All for 5 reps, then switched to the other hand. Started light, with an 8kg powermax, and worked up to the 16kg powermax kb.

Nice! Sweat producing.

Motion MacIvor
11-21-2006, 07:35 PM
A man maker starts with a push up done on two dumbells followed by a rebel row with each hand, followed buy a burpee with the dumbells. Fifty of those are a solid workout.

thomas beasley
11-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Here is a visual of the Man Maker courtesy of Gym Jones.

http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20051123

Pierre Auge
12-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Why do the guys from gym jones always look like they're on PCP? Seriously I know its hard but you don't have to give yourself an anurism!

Anyway here's mine:
(With two dumbbells or kettlebells)
Push-Up
Snatch Burpee
Squat (overhead, return to standing)
Thruster (racked)
Pistol (racked)
Pistol (racked)
Clean & Push-Jerk
Thruster

The ability to remember what you are doing while under stress is one of the great advantages of doing complexes. Particularly when they are complicated!!! But i'm sure we all knew that...

Steve Shafley
12-03-2006, 07:37 PM
he does look like he's tweaking, or is it twighting?

Mike ODonnell
12-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Never done the man maker....done the 2DB clean, squat, press, pushup, burpee....now I get to add the rows....clients will hate me. Sweet.

thomas beasley
12-04-2006, 08:07 AM
What is the general consensus when performing a snatch, or clean and jerk, do the majority perform a full movement or a partial "power" movement? I.E (squat) clean and jerk or power clean and jerk; a snatch or power snatch.

The reason I started thinking about this was when I watch a video from one of the CrossFit affiliates who had posted a group work out/ instructional video on YouTube. The move in question was a KB snatch. The Kb snatch was in a complex, and appeared to be a power snatch because there was only a 1/4 squat (if that).

When performing complexes, is it better to perform the full range of motion or a "power" variation on a snatch or c&j?

Lastly , when working with dumbbells, what is your preferred racked position?

Greg Everett
12-04-2006, 09:39 AM
just depends on what you're doing and why. power versions are good sometimes, but, for example, if the reason i'm doing a snatch + sotts complex is to work on overhead stability in the bottom of a squat after a snatch, then i'd rather have the athlete perform a full snatch than power + overhead squat.

Coach Rutherford
12-04-2006, 11:51 AM
What is the general consensus when performing a snatch, or clean and jerk, do the majority perform a full movement or a partial "power" movement? I.E (squat) clean and jerk or power clean and jerk; a snatch or power snatch.

The reason I started thinking about this was when I watch a video from one of the CrossFit affiliates who had posted a group work out/ instructional video on YouTube. The move in question was a KB snatch. The Kb snatch was in a complex, and appeared to be a power snatch because there was only a 1/4 squat (if that).

When performing complexes, is it better to perform the full range of motion or a "power" variation on a snatch or c&j?

Lastly , when working with dumbbells, what is your preferred racked position?

Using power movements with dumbbells is no less desireable than using them with a barbell. As Greg mentioned, it depends on the your objective for the session and how you are mixing it with other movements in your complex or workout. In short, do both versions

Pierre Auge
12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Greg,
from above I read:
Snatch
Sots Press
Overhead Squat

Funny I had been playing with:
Snatch
Sots Press
Overhead Squat
BN Jerk (its easier to transition to a narrow grip from behind the neck)
Shoulder Press
Thruster

Repeat 3 times for 10 sets, rest 30 seconds between sets. Gets the blood flowing for sure. I like these for the simple fact that I can get a great deal of work done in a short time. How do you apply your complexes under light, moderate, heavy load or all of the above?

Greg you noticed at Coach B's, I enjoy working skill while fatigued, you didn't say much about it at the time I just ponder your opinions.

(I know Sage's opinion is that its stupid! She's very direct...)

Steve Shafley
02-07-2007, 01:17 PM
This is one I whipped up for my wife after I got back from Utah, and meeting Dan John and stealing his materials.

1. goblet squat
2. bootstrapper
3. crush press
4. 2H swing

I just ran through it myself, using progressively bigger kbs, and it's not a bad little circuit, if I do say so myself.

Allen Yeh
02-07-2007, 01:54 PM
This is one I whipped up for my wife after I got back from Utah, and meeting Dan John and stealing his materials.

1. goblet squat
2. bootstrapper
3. crush press
4. 2H swing

I just ran through it myself, using progressively bigger kbs, and it's not a bad little circuit, if I do say so myself.

crush press?

Steve Shafley
02-07-2007, 02:31 PM
crush press = 2 handed kb press holding the ball of the kb by squeezing your hands together.

Allen Yeh
02-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Tried this out today:

Did this with one 24 kg KB

suitcase deadlift x 6
clean x 6
1 handed swing x 6
snatch x 6
ohs x 6

I did it 2 ways, the first time I did it all on my left side first and found by the end my grip was the limiting factor so I rested 2 minutes and tried it by alternating sides with 5 reps. The alternating method was a little bit more taxing than doing all of one side and it also spared the grip when I was all done.

Allen Yeh
02-22-2007, 06:23 AM

1. goblet squat
2. bootstrapper
3. crush press
4. 2H swing

Good little circuit, though my form broke down on the bootstrapper when I jumped from the 12 kg kb to the 24 kg.

Steve Shafley
02-22-2007, 06:34 AM
Yeah, I found the 32kg kb hard to hold

Allen Yeh
02-22-2007, 06:48 AM
On the downward motion I felt holding the kb by the handles was ab out to rip out of my grip, I thought it was because I wasn't holding it correctly. When I went heavier I also felt like I wasn't able to keep the "swing" controlled.

I know you commented it on your vblog but I definitely felt a huge difference when doing it with a flat back and not.

James Evans
02-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Here's one I like based upon one of Ross Enamait's articles:

1. One armed clean from ground
2. Strict one armed press
3. Push press
4. Snatch from ground
5. OHS
6. Overhead lunge

Repeat on other arm. I use a fairly heavy db and do 10 reps of the complex per side. The Press/Push Press/Snatch bit comes from Ross and he is going heavy in the accompanying video.

You could use a lighter weight or KB and storm through this.

Allen Yeh
04-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Alwyn Cosgrove Barbell complex #1
Deadlift
Romanian DL
Barbell Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

I did it with 95# and method #1.
2 ways to do it:
1. 90 seconds rest between sets, 6,5,4,3,2,1
2. 6 reps with 4-5 set along with decreasing rest from 90s to 45s in following workouts. (You really don't want to decrease that precious 90 seconds the first time you do this!)

This destroyed my grip after the first 2 rounds.

Derek Simonds
04-05-2007, 11:27 AM
I am so trying this one tomorrow.

Derek Simonds
04-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I did it with method 1 and 75 lb's. I loved it. I wanted to try it with lower weight to get the feel of it and use it for my workout warmup.

I am going to add this one to the arsenal. Nice pick Allen!

James Evans
04-11-2007, 08:56 AM
That's not far off the Javorek stuff that Yael refers to on page one of this post.

Off the top of my head:

1. Upright Row
2. Snatch (Muscle or power)
3. Back Squat/Push Press (so a thruster)
4. Good Morning
5. Bentover row

Complexes #1 and 2 are with a barbell and for 3 and 6 reps each respectively.

When substituting dbs for a bb replace good mornings with a second set of snatches. I've only ever used a barbell. I do the snatches from the ground. Good warm up, good finisher. 3 sets of #1 with 45kg and your in business

Rick Deckart
04-12-2007, 01:44 PM
If you watch the videos on Javoreks page you will notice that the snatch high pull how he calls it, is a jerk grip muscle snatch. I once did his complex 1 with an empty bar and two 9kg chains and two small ironwoody bands which were crisscossed (right shoulder left foot, left shoulder right foot).
That was after some light overhead squat sets (45kg x 12 reps x 12 sets) but in my memory this complex was one of the most brutal workouts I tried so far... The bands take away most of the leg power during the high snatch pulls and the chains certainly don't help either. I always wanted to max that out, with say two strong bands, 40kg and two 9kg chains but that would need some preparation.

I have also done a Javorek complex 1 style complex with two 24kg KBs:

upright row x 5 reps
snatch high pull x 5 reps
thrusters x 5 reps
RDL x 5 reps
bent over row x 5 reps

this was also pretty taxing.

Brian Amundsen
04-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Here are two complexes I've been using quite a bit lately.

All done 1 arm-5 swings, 5 clean+push jerk, 5 front squats, 5 snatches, 5 overhead squats. Switch arms and repeat.

This is the one I've been doing lately to really up my GPP, All done double kb style-5 swings inside legs, 5 thrusters, 5 swings outside leg. Rinse and repeat as needed.

For reference I only have two 53's.

If you could get up to 7 sets of the second grouping, as a male, with in 20 minutes you'd be in phenomenal shape. If you could bump the bells up two 32 kg's and still make it through it I don't know how much of anything else besides hitting a few heavy barbell lifts that you would need.

James Evans
04-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Damn Brian, you've got me all 'I want to go home and give that a try'.

Away for the weekend so it will keep for now.

Brian Amundsen
04-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Damn Brian, you've got me all 'I want to go home and give that a try'.

Away for the weekend so it will keep for now.

I did 4 circuits with 5 reps wednesday morning and then 3 circuits with 7 reps per exercise wednesday night and a few circuits earlier in the week. I could tell yesterday that my kettlebell "wind" was already better when I did my sets
of dbl swings outside the legs. 20 reps was no problem and I had a problem with 15 reps last week.

James Evans
04-20-2007, 09:06 AM
You adapt to them quickly. My grip improved in a week from being a limiting factor.

But the increase in wind or sense of work capacity is really noticeable.

Regarding your other post on snatch sets I think Catherine is going to be the expert.

R. Alan Hester
04-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Here are two complexes I've been using quite a bit lately.

All done 1 arm-5 swings, 5 clean+push jerk, 5 front squats, 5 snatches, 5 overhead squats. Switch arms and repeat.

My wife and I did this one for 5 sets each side today with one DB, followed by a bodyrow/push-up circuit. Quite nice.