PDA

View Full Version : Probiotics,Digestive Enzymes ect......

Sam Cannons
04-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Just a few questions in regards to probiotics and digestive enhancers. Whats the difference between the two ? Which one is better ? Is there other options with this line of supplement in terms of general gut/digestion health ? Brand names ? I am currently taking Fish Oil @20g/day and just started to use this (http://www.innerhealth.com.au/).

Thankyou
Sam In Aus

Steve Liberati
04-10-2007, 07:38 PM
20g/day of fish oil:eek: Darn that must be a huge load on the wallet.

Probiotics are basically good strands of friendly bacteria that provide your body with beneficial flora that are essential to a wide range of bodily functions. Most importantly, they will significantly improve your immunity and keep your inner ecological system running like a well-oiled machine.

Digestive Enzymes help your body to better break down and digest food. Basically increases your macronutrient absorption rate (just made that one up:D) so you don't waste your money shitting out all your high levels of protein consumption.

Essential Formulas and Jarrow's both manufacture a good probiotic. Jarrow's being the cheaper of the two.

Dave Van Skike
04-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks Steve, I have not seen it explained that simply anywhere...and I've actaully looked.

20g/day of fish oil:eek: Darn that must be a huge load on the wallet.

Probiotics are basically good strands of friendly bacteria that provide your body with beneficial flora that are essential to a wide range of bodily functions. Most importantly, they will significantly improve your immunity and keep your inner ecological system running like a well-oiled machine.

Digestive Enzymes help your body to better break down and digest food. Basically increases your macronutrient absorption rate (just made that one up:D) so you don't waste your money shitting out all your high levels of protein consumption.

Essential Formulas and Jarrow's both manufacture a good probiotic. Jarrow's being the cheaper of the two.

Mike ODonnell
04-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I'd say that if your diet used to be high in sugar and have taken antibiotics...then repopulating with probiotics is essential.....

Digestive enzymes,...well since they are plant based you should be able to get plenty from raw fruits and veg....but if you think you have digestive disorders, autoimmune or other issues with the gut, supplementation may be neccessary.

You will probably see manufacturers combining the 2 in one pill....but I would guess you will get a better quality product in seperate pills for each.

liz neufeldt
12-10-2009, 05:12 AM
I would also agree that Steve did an excellent job is explaining the difference between the digestive enzymes and probiotics. Probiotics are excellent to take on a daily basis to ensure a healthy gut. This will lead to a healthy immune system (I read once that up to 70% of your immune system is related to your gut), along with overall good digestive health. The digestive enzymes help specifically with digesting food. Some of the most common ones are naturally occurring in papayas and pineapples. A supplement with give you a more concentrated dose though, and is great to have on hand especially for foods you have difficulty digesting. The one I like is called Digestive Enhancement (http://www.seacoastvitamins.com/product_info.php?products_id=903), and has several difference enzymes in it, which is ideal.