PDA

View Full Version : Clear obesity gene link 'found'

Mark Bennett
04-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Came across this on the BBC news website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6547891.stm

Any comments?

Josh Whiting
04-13-2007, 02:54 AM
"Those carrying two copies of the variant had a 70% increased risk of being obese, and were on average 3kg (6.6lb) heavier than a similar person with no copies."

I was watching a big fat woman on telly this morning saying how she had tried everything and it was her genetics fault. I just wanted to shout at her "how do you explain the other 47kg!"

Scott Kustes
04-13-2007, 05:13 AM
I'm so tired of hearing genetics, genetics, genetics. Genetics seems to be responsible for everything from obesity to bad breath (no really, it's not cause I don't brush my teeth). I will accept that genes can make one susceptible to something. Activating those genes is still the fault of the individual. Genes aren't a roadmap to life. You aren't born with a perfect line drawn from birth to death detailing everything that you'll encounter. It's more like looking at a map with "Birth" and "Death" and you have 7000 different ways to get there based on how you live. Some things you do put you on the bullet train to Death. Others take you on a rolling back country road that twists and turns, meandering through life slowly and healthfully.

You choose your path. Genes determine what happens to you after you've chosen your path. But it's so easy to blame genes...they can't be seen, so how can they be overcome? I'm waiting for people to start suing their parents for giving them bad genes.

Disclaimer: some genetic issues can't be avoided (i.e., birth defects). As hard as I try, I will never be 6 feet tall, nor will I ever be able to get a tan.

Mike ODonnell
04-13-2007, 05:17 AM
the only "link" I see as the problems are the ones between all the sausages overweight people are shoving down their throat with their mound of pancakes and sugar.....

Genetics is just a crutch and that is where modern medicine fails us....it takes the power of controling our own health away from us and gets us all depressed and hooked on drugs as the only solution....

Mark Bennett
04-13-2007, 05:27 AM
I hear what you all are saying. It's interesting to hear the "scientists" say this work "could improve understanding of obesity and eventually help prevent it, as well as an illness it is linked to".

What is there to understand? Eat the right foods in the right quantities and take regular exercise and you prevent obesity, regardless of gene's :rolleyes:

Mark

Mike ODonnell
04-13-2007, 05:34 AM
What is there to understand? Eat the right foods in the right quantities and take regular exercise and you prevent obesity, regardless of gene's :rolleyes:

There's no profit in that....so it can't work....

James Evans
04-13-2007, 06:14 AM
They were discussing this on the radio this morning (Radio 4 Mark).

"Now there is a reason for obese people not to feel guilty".

Not to feel guilty? Well the world is more caring, more sharing, fluffier place already.

Feed on kids, heart disease is only a few cheese burgers away and go back to claiming you're just 'big boned'.

Shit like this is dangerous.

Pierre Auge
04-13-2007, 06:14 AM
There's no profit in that....so it can't work....

WAIT! There's no profit in it for THEM, so it can't work for THEM!

Dave Van Skike
04-13-2007, 10:44 AM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/Miscarticles/youarenotdiffere.html

My favortite bit on the question of calories in calories out...

" It no longer amazes me how many people will vociferously argue that "My metabolism is different" when it comes to a discussion of diet for either fat loss or muscle gain....

if there were truly an exception to this simple thermodynamic rule, the government would need to study it because that person would be a living breathing fusion reactor, able to make calories out of thin air ; or able to burn them off to an unlimited degree. They could use that person's body to develop free energy machines to provide unlimited energy for the world if one of these people truly existed."

Robb Wolf
04-13-2007, 12:38 PM
"They found people with two copies of a "fat" version of a gene had a 70% higher risk of obesity than those with none, and weighed 3kg (6.5lb) more."

These folks have both copies...and only 70% increase in obesity likelihood? hmmmm...

Regarding the scientists understanding and a potential "cure"...well, that was the same line of reasoning that started the "War on Cancer" in the late '60's. We understand the hell out of cancer, how it happens, what genes get triggered, hormonal status...that has not improved our ability to TREAT cancer at all. Same story with obesity. Science and The Gov will dangle the carrot of a fix out there it's bull-shit. Even with complex and accurate gene therapy (not bloody likely) we would need to change who we fundamentally are as human beings to "fix" obesity...I suspect that would lead to some very unintended consequences.

As to the self accountability thing. I think Devany attacks this in a positive way. He does try to remove the guilt for our desire to over-eat and be lazy, but he does point out that if we want to be healthy we need to take some accountability and do something. I think it could be liberating to know about our genetic heritage, that our current living situations might be highly at odds with being healthy...but that message might be too complex and require too much understanding for the average person AND there is not much money to be made form that.

Neal Winkler
04-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Wowzers, 6.5 lbs? Dem is some wayyyy out of control genes there. Definately should put a stop to those.

Cassi_Nesmith
05-19-2007, 07:24 PM
I spoke to a doctor early last week who told me only 2 out of 10 people are able/willing to keep to a diet. Wonder if that has anything to do with genetics?

Mike ODonnell
05-20-2007, 06:49 AM
I spoke to a doctor early last week who told me only 2 out of 10 people are able/willing to keep to a diet. Wonder if that has anything to do with genetics?

Shame doctors think that way. Would be nice to have more that focus on lifestyle changes that last instead of thinking it has to be a diet....cause I agree, no one stays on a diet....it's the whole mental deprivation thing....but make it lifestlye changes, people have a chance.

Heather Lawrence
05-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Two Cents From Heather

Tradition says an angel promised Abraham that he would live a long life if he ate the biblical version of yogurt. He lived to be 175 years old!

Today, in parts of Turkey, Armenia and some of the more remote regions of the Caucasus Mountains, there is an unusually high number of very old people. Men and women often live well beyond 100 years while maintaining healthy, active lifestyles.

The reason is they eat plenty of yogurt. The longevity theory has never been tested on humans.

But when scientists with the US Department of Agriculture were researching the effects of yogurt on salmonella infections in mice, they discovered one astonishing side effect: the mice that were fed yogurt did more than beat the infection – they lived much longer than those that were not given yogurt.

Like Yogurt, there are 16 more foods which makes you healthy.

Heather

Robb Wolf
05-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Two Cents From Heather

Tradition says an angel promised Abraham that he would live a long life if he ate the biblical version of yogurt. He lived to be 175 years old!

Today, in parts of Turkey, Armenia and some of the more remote regions of the Caucasus Mountains, there is an unusually high number of very old people. Men and women often live well beyond 100 years while maintaining healthy, active lifestyles.

The reason is they eat plenty of yogurt. The longevity theory has never been tested on humans.

But when scientists with the US Department of Agriculture were researching the effects of yogurt on salmonella infections in mice, they discovered one astonishing side effect: the mice that were fed yogurt did more than beat the infection they lived much longer than those that were not given yogurt.

Like Yogurt, there are 16 more foods which makes you healthy.

Heather

Wholly cliff-hanger batman! C'mon Heather! What are the other foods!

Mike ODonnell
05-22-2007, 10:44 AM

If Guinness isn't on the list then I call the whole thing flawed.....

Scott Kustes
05-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Tofu, Boca Burgers, Cocoa Puffs, pita bread, Pop Tarts (strawberry only), chocolate cake, Bud Light, Lay's Sour Cream n Onion chips, chili cheese fries, nachos (only if they have guacamole though), Krispy Kreme donuts, deep fried Snickers, Ramen noodles, McDonald's Big Mac, meatball sandwiches, and anything from Cold Stone Creamery.

Ok, so Google turned up this document with the text Heather posted: http://www.ladyjr.com/Books/17-Bible-Foods-That-Heal.pdf Most of them would qualify as what most of us consider healthful.

Brad Hirakawa
05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
"....But it's so easy to blame genes...they can't be seen, so how can they be overcome?"

I can see them and I can show you yours for a small fee. :)

Brad

Yael Grauer
05-22-2007, 03:52 PM
and anything from Cold Stone Creamery.

You know, I went to Cold Stone about a month ago (under strict orders from a chiropractor) and I noticed that of all the people that walked in nobody was fat. Weird, huh?

Mike ODonnell
05-22-2007, 06:58 PM
You know, I went to Cold Stone about a month ago (under strict orders from a chiropractor) and I noticed that of all the people that walked in nobody was fat. Weird, huh?

so you broke in after hours and saw the cleaning crew??

Yael Grauer
05-22-2007, 07:40 PM
so you broke in after hours and saw the cleaning crew??

It was actually on a Friday night...mostly college kids and married couples.

Edited to add that my brother would say this was not a representative sample.

Allen Yeh
05-23-2007, 02:44 AM
Cold Stone Creamery.

Cold Stone....*drools onto keyboard...*

David Aguasca
05-28-2007, 03:42 PM
yael, i knew a guy in high school who used to be very tall and thin.

and then he started working at cold stone.

when i saw him a couple months later, he had changed from a string bean into a pear shape. no joke. he was unrecognizable.