PDA

View Full Version : Blood loss in a fasted state

Greg Davis
04-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Ok so I have an appointment to give blood in about an hour.. and I forgot that I had planned for today to be a fast day (was going to just eat when I get home from work). And I don't take the juice and cookies they try to force on you after a donation.. Not sure if its such a good idea to give blood while fasting but I'm gonna give it a shot! It'll probably only be a few hours afterwards until I chow down.

Robb Wolf
04-13-2007, 01:08 PM
I think Greg Everett did this and lived to tell the tale...it should be fine. If you feel faint, drink the juice!

Scott Kustes
04-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I've done it twice in the past 4 months and I'm as normal as I was beforehand (which is to say, not very). I didn't fast the whole day though, just my normal 15 or so hours that day. The first time the girl was begging me to eat something. I'm like "No, seriously, I'm fine." I figure a better alternative is "I'm gluten intolerant and I hate raisins. I have food with me in the car."

Greg Davis
04-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm tempted to just tell people I'm diabetic in some situations where turning down carbs seems borderline rude... but that feels like bad karma!

Pierre Auge
04-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I just tell people I'm a psycho with crazy dietary requirements - people generally just laugh and go along with it....

Joyce Behrendt
04-13-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm tempted to just tell people I'm diabetic in some situations where turning down carbs seems borderline rude... but that feels like bad karma!

If you tell people you are diabetic, they will definitely make you drink the juice!

I just drink water before and after giving blood.

kevin mckay
04-13-2007, 10:06 PM
LOL I just tell people my body does not respond well to refined carbohydrates :)

Usually just get a sympathetic nod

Scott Kustes
04-16-2007, 09:56 AM
How about "I only put premium fuel in this machine"?

Greg Davis
04-17-2007, 03:20 AM
"I only put premium fuel in this machine"

I like that one.. I'll use it with my g/f's mom and see how she takes it lol.

Garrett Smith
04-17-2007, 05:55 AM
Just wait 10-15 minutes in the "canteen" after you're done, and note how you feel after you stand up after waiting (ie. lightheaded). Take your own food with you if you need it (real fruit or a Larabar works pretty easy).

Better than fainting while driving/riding home...

Chris Forbis
04-25-2007, 05:08 PM
My school had a blood drive today. Fasted from dinner the night before (5:30pm). Donation was at 11, so 17.5 hours. Felt great. Just drank some water post donation and ate my normal lunch at noon.