PDA

View Full Version : "Refeed" T-Nation Article

Greg Davis
04-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey did you guys read this T-Nation article by Mike Roussell:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=42AE2568484B0A5CD5E368CE91 C6D9EE.hydra?id=1528043

He's talking about how "refeeds" after a period of calorie restricting can be beneficial because it adds more LBM than if you are always eating a lot. Essentially he's saying when you've tricked your body into survival mode from restricting calories, its not going to mess up those hormones from only occasional refeeds.

Isn't this kind of like IF only we're using this mechanism all the time?

Larry Lindenman
04-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Greg, i would agree. CKD and IF are very similar, I have to say...I always used the re-feeds to cheat like a raving lunatic! Never really worked for me. I'm about 3 weeks into IF (5 hour feeding times) and like the simplicity of the protocol...I'll post results in a month or two.

Mike ODonnell
04-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Warrior Diet preaches the same...essentially if you are always eating the same day in and out, you will not take advantage of the body's ability to save muscle/burn fat when going through periods of low cal/protein/carbs and then the anabolic muscle building when switched to a high cal/protein/carb type of feeding day. Variety is key....much like your workouts, your nutrition should also be varied and changed.

Greg Everett
04-15-2007, 02:18 PM
this is also like the ABCDE thing (Anabolic Burst Cycle of Diet and Exercise). basically calorie restriction for 2 weeks followed by calorie surplus for 2 weeks.

Mike ODonnell
04-15-2007, 04:20 PM
this is also like the ABCDE thing (Anabolic Burst Cycle of Diet and Exercise)

have to break out the July 1996 MM 2000 for that one.....

Pierre Auge
04-16-2007, 03:32 AM
What I find amusing about Mike Roussell is that he's always about 6 months to a year behind this forum... Every once in a while he writes something striking.

Otherwise he basically rehashes what everyone else keeps saying... But I guess we are all in that same boat. I still read his blog feed on a regular basis since he's somewhat entertaining, though like the furey's and cosgrove's and berardi's he's always trying to sell you something... Never actually doing anything...

Ron Nelson
04-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I read it. Nothing really earth-shattering.
I understand the need to push services in their blogs and newsletters and even the articles as this is how they've decided to make a living. I always enjoy the cross-pollinating that occurs when one writer will recommend another's site or newsletter. I think it all falls into the Ryan Lee model somehow.

Now to train in a fasted state.

Mike ODonnell
04-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Basically...nothing new in fitness....just new people marketing it with new names...now off to write another E-book...

Greg Everett
04-16-2007, 01:14 PM
that's why I always liked the late Dan Douchaine... he repeatedly said he never really came up with anything new. called himself an intellectual ferret. then he died.