PDA

View Full Version : Help with gym name ideas...

Garrett Smith
04-16-2007, 04:01 PM
For those who read my post about the Progressive Self Regulation...I hadn't realized how expensive the hormone tests were ($190 just for test!), so I postponed that whole thing.

On to the topic at hand, I'm looking at starting a gym in Tucson with all the cool toys. I'm particularly looking for names, with CrossFit in it or without. So, I'm looking for ideas (jokes are cool, we are on the PM after all) for names for this new space...

I'm personally fond of "Guerrilla Strength", my screen name over on the CF board. My issue with that is whether or not it will irritate/aggravate the folks in uniform, and whether it's a good name to begin with.

So, I'm doing my best to become a cross-poster...my singular addiction to the CF message board has to be broken...:cool:

So, fire away!

Ken Urakawa
04-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Dr. G's House Of Pain

Steve Liberati
04-16-2007, 04:27 PM
New Beginnings Health & Fitness.

My old business name that failed miserably. If you're not the superstitious type, I think it would make a good name.

josh everett
04-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi Garrett
From what i understand the majority of paying customers at crossfit affiliates are females. Gorrilla implies getting big & bulky and aggressiveness. The name may turn away many females before they get a chance to find out what you offer is what they are looking for.

Yuen Sohn
04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
I agree with Josh.

Guerilla Strength is a cool name, but it may run the risk of alienating those borderline/potential customers who are used to 'conventional' gym routines...gotta lure them in first before you can convert them :D

I don't know about a final full name, but here are some words that popped in my head :
'Practical'
'Unconventional'
'Athletics'
'Dynamic'
'Performance'
'Fitness'
'Intelligent'
-and from your first post, 'Progressive'

I was also thinking 'Competitive' and 'Advanced', but that might freak people out as well.

If all else fails, to add onto Ken's suggestion:
Dr. G's House of Pain...and Pancakes

Good luck!

Steve Shafley
04-16-2007, 05:03 PM
"Better Than Curves"

Allison Barns
04-16-2007, 05:11 PM
How about "Comprehensive Fitness" or "The Comprehensive Gym"? That would fit both the workout concepts and your "Doctor as Teacher" approach.

Yuen Sohn
04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Or you could go Ancient Greek old-school and call it 'The Gymnasium.'

...though nude workouts would be strictly optional.

Steve Liberati
04-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Here's one for the bold marketer in you...

The Dirt Pile
"A Fitness Playground for Adults"

Then forego the expensive stall mats for dirt. With the exception of a few lifting platform, floors are covered with hard clay type dirt. Shoes are optional!

A little dirt never hurts...just ask Dr. Eades: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=644

More literature points to the health benefits of dirt (builds immunity and helps treat asthma):
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/09/050906073848.htm

Mike ODonnell
04-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Robb's House of Flying Saucers
Curves Part II
Recess for Adults
Total Body Fitness and Health
We're not Bally's
Fitness Celebrities (tm) R'Us (although Walshy may want a % for that name)

dunno...too late to come up with any more....

Yael Grauer
04-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Call it Sparta. No, not really. Actually, you're competing against local gyms with stupid names like "Better Bodies" and you can't get much worse than that. ;)

Kevin Scott Kett
04-16-2007, 09:07 PM
I guess you could always go with:

"Dr. G's Freaking Fantabulous Functional Fitness Funatorium" using a Beatles Yellow Submarine motif.
or
"Dr. G's Smoke Shop" that should bring in some foot traffic
or
"DR G's Sanatorium"
And by the way as Tucson resident vet I wouldn't worry about Guerrilla Strength causing alienation, Roses and More has cornered the market on that.

Yael Grauer
04-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Yes, and Loving Spoonfuls.

Allen Yeh
04-17-2007, 05:27 AM
I'm fond of Ken's idea and "Dr. G's House of Pain"

No? ok hmmm I agree with other peoples comments about Guerilla Strength.

Jesse's Primal Fitness is along the same vein but it's not as masculine sounding. I doubt any military personnel would care about it being called Guerilla Strength.

So I looked in a thesaurus and found the following for Guerilla:

Warrior Fitness (sounds a bit cheesy?)
Insurgent Fitness (Sounds good and it kind of means rebelling against the other types of gyms around but with all the talk about insurgent forces in Iraq...this may not be a good choice.)
Rebel Fitness and Health
Renegade Fitness and Health

Steve Liberati
04-17-2007, 05:41 AM
Black Box
Athletic Performance Training

Garrett Smith
04-17-2007, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the ideas so far everybody!

There are so many good ones, and the one that stood out to me so far has been "The Gymnasium" (old school, short, and powerful) and "Black Box" (although I'd rather not have to explain it to every single person--now that I think about it, that's what a website is for).

Funny thing, while I was doing the nutrition lectures at Better Bodies for ~8 months, I got the owner to start doing CF WODs. Now him and several other trainers work out together--they do it way too intensely and are often nursing injuries. It will be hilarious when I have a better gym than he does for the types of workouts that he's doing now. I remember when I first talked to him, he said I should work out in his gym--I said that I can't, I don't use any machines...

Anyway, keep 'em coming...

Steve Liberati
04-17-2007, 05:58 AM
last one I promise...lol

RattleSnake
Fitness Training

Some help with naming here: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2005/10/the_new_rules_o.html

Always liked this one but of course it is already taken. Goes good in the desert.
http://www.icechamber.com/index.html

Sam Lepore
04-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Anchorman Athletics

"60 Percent of the time, you'll puke every time"

Garrett Smith
04-17-2007, 06:07 AM
I wanted to add something.

The CF affiliation is not solely for marketing as I said above. I have learned a lot from CF and their approach, and I like and use it enough that I want folks who do CF to know that this gym caters to that style of workouts. I also don't want to limit it to people who have been alienated or are intimidated by that whole approach.

I feel that an "independent" name with affiliation is the best way to go, as I have seen more affiliates doing lately.

Oh, and Steve--the "Ice Chamber" won't work for an industrial space in the desert in which the gym only has swamp cooling (right, Ken?!?)...especially in the end-of-summer "monsoon" (think very humid and 90+ degrees) season...

Pierre Auge
04-17-2007, 06:11 AM
How about "The Colosseum - Old School Fitness"

Derek Simonds
04-17-2007, 06:17 AM
I am a big fan of alliteration. Tuscon Total Training.

You could do some pretty cool slogans.

T3 Training to the third power Mind Body Spirit

Yoon nailed it, if you don't like any of these you need to whiteboard it and throw anything you can think of on th board and work from there.

BTW send any royalties to Derek C/O the PM.

John Alston
04-17-2007, 06:40 AM
You call the gym "Curls."
You have a dozen or so "curl racks" where no squatting is allowed, a dozen arm machines, and some of the other most popular machines. Lots of bb pictures, lots of crazy routines if endless sets posted, and lots of ez-curl fixed weight bars. Mirrors EVERYWHERE.
Then, in the back, you have the dungeon, where it's racks, bumpers, platforms, benches, chains, kbs, huge dumbells, rings, ropes and other beautiful torture devices.
The front end of your gym will pay for the dungeon; the dungeon is free to those who are worthy.

Sam Lepore
04-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Tucson Athletic Club (TAC) I used to go to a great gym about 10 years ago when I lived in LA. Marina Athletic Club. Everyone called it MAC. Not there anymore. They shut it down for a highway project. Not sure if the highway was ever built.

Tucson Athletics
Tuscon Total Fitness
Tucson Barbell Club
Tucson Ironworks

Yuen Sohn
04-17-2007, 07:03 AM
You call the gym "Curls."
You have a dozen or so "curl racks" where no squatting is allowed, a dozen arm machines, and some of the other most popular machines. Lots of bb pictures, lots of crazy routines if endless sets posted, and lots of ez-curl fixed weight bars. Mirrors EVERYWHERE.
Then, in the back, you have the dungeon, where it's racks, bumpers, platforms, benches, chains, kbs, huge dumbells, rings, ropes and other beautiful torture devices.
The front end of your gym will pay for the dungeon; the dungeon is free to those who are worthy.

FYI, this is based on an actual gym on Long Island, NY. John and I lifted in a meet held there earlier this year. It was pretty surreal. Top floor: carpeted, serene and clean. Rows of stairmasters, cardio equipment, machines, a yoga studio and normal-looking gymgoers, mostly female.

Bottom floor (basement): dark, dirty, and cold. Chains, rings, and all the goodies John described above. And to top it all off, this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iktfLcitebg) snatching 100kgs in the back corner.

Ron Nelson
04-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Tucson Intensity Training.

Just going for the LCD with the initials.

Yael Grauer
04-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Funny thing, while I was doing the nutrition lectures at Better Bodies for ~8 months, I got the owner to start doing CF WODs. Now him and several other trainers work out together--they do it way too intensely and are often nursing injuries. It will be hilarious when I have a better gym than he does for the types of workouts that he's doing now. I remember when I first talked to him, he said I should work out in his gym--I said that I can't, I don't use any machines...

I met one of those trainers at the Y. I guess he works at both gyms. Really smart guy. We got in an argument when he told me the gym would be closing a half hour early so they could install carpetting, and I said no. He saw me doing squat cleans and asked if I was a CF'er and ended up letting me stay like a half hour after the gym was closed instead of leaving a half hour early. Too bad I can't remember the guy's name, he was cool.

Yael Grauer
04-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Bottom floor (basement): dark, dirty, and cold. Chains, rings, and all the goodies John described above. And to top it all off, this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iktfLcitebg) snatching 100kgs in the back corner.

Yeah, call it the Dungeon.

Scott Kustes
04-17-2007, 11:05 AM
I like "The Gymnasium". As I'm a non-creative type, I have little else to offer. But alliteration can be fun. How about "Goofy Garrett's Great Gymnasium for Gaining Godliness"?

Garrett Smith
04-17-2007, 12:56 PM
You guys (and gal) have definitely given me plenty of options to work with...

Thanks again...

kevin mckay
04-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Who is your target audience?

Yael Grauer
04-17-2007, 02:43 PM
How about Porky's? ;)

Ron Nelson
04-17-2007, 03:09 PM
How about Porky's? ;)

Goes right along with my name suggestion, but now I'd make it:
Tucson's Intensive Training Site. Just to get the plural.

It is going to be a gym for women, right?

"I like it, it's identifiable."
-Er

Dave Paton
04-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Garrett,

I like your original Guerrilla Strength. Being stationed here in Tucson, it wouldn't offend any vets. Please make it an Olympic weightlifiting gym...right Yael??? I hope this doesn't sound bad, but when I see the photos of the clientele at some of the CF affliates on their home page...well, I would never go there. Or how about Hell's Half Acre????

Garrett Smith
04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Kevin,
The target clientele is basically the same type of servicepeople that CF targets, along with anyone else who chooses to train with non-conventional equipment and/or in a non-conventional manner...like MMA guys, KB-heads, CB-knuckledraggers, climbing crazies, and anyone who wants better fitness from mixed-modal power-biased training...

Dave, good to hear from you! I don't know about Hell's Half Acre (it's only 1200 sq ft), however, you're the third person (myself included) who liked Guerrilla Strength. I've even thought of some tag lines, one being along the lines of "When you'd rather be all GO and no show..." I had another one written down somewhere, I can't remember it now. I also like the initials, as was mentioned earlier...and "The Gymnasium" still stands out to me as simple and powerful. If "The Sanitorium" wasn't misunderstood by so many vocabularily-challenged, I'd like that one just as much. Alas...

Very few little box gyms like the one I'm proposing exist in Tucson. There is the PL gym that Yael went to, from what she told me of it it's nothing like what I want to do.

I want some climbing strength training gear (fingerboard, asymmetrical A-frame ladder, Bachar ladder, maybe a small climbing wall or two, stuff like that), several OL platforms with racks, a rope, rings, pullup bars, rower, NordicTrack, kettlebells, DBs, and maybe even some CBs (has anyone other than Sonnon come out with them yet?). You know, the fun stuff! Note that the above is FAR from a complete list...

Dave, if you aren't already, make sure to join my Tucson CF email group at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tucsoncrossfit/

I'm thinking of showing up for another group workout on the park fitness course this Saturday, I'll announce soon...

Yael Grauer
04-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Not this Saturday, I'll be out of town! We need more notice!

I love the PL gym for the kettlebells, dumbbells, bumper plates, heavybag, matts, etc. And the chalk everywhere. And the MMA and yoga classes. Most people don't know about it though, so it's not likely to be competition.

Steve Liberati
04-17-2007, 05:41 PM
My vote goes to:
Guerrilla Strength

Potential taglines:
"Survival of the Fittest"
"only the strong survive"
"only the fit survive"
"unleash your inner animal"

Yael Grauer
04-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Ha! Call it Darwin's gym!

Joe Hart
04-17-2007, 09:02 PM
How about "The Inferno...We will whip your ass into shape"

"The Inferno...bodies made for sin."

"The Inferno...You will feel possesed (by pukie)"

"Mestapholese has got nothing on me, Dr. G."

"The Forge" or "Crucible"- to borrow from the Marines.

It works with the Sun Devil crowd eventhough its the Wildcats out there, isn't it?

Actually I like "The Gymnasium" (sp?) idea the best. You could get pictures of the old time strong men, old old gyms, and a little CF for the walls.

Clay Enos
04-17-2007, 09:20 PM
it seems to me that it'd be nice to include a reference to your city's location near in sonoran dessert which has a reputation for being a fearsome place that weeds out the weaklings, if you will.

it also seems like a nice idea to incorporate some of the best features/effects of a crossfit style workout without actually (as you mentioned) including CF in your name. optimized, fit, the usual stuff.

then i always think you could benefit from being more poetic/trendy/daring by naming your gym more like post-production facility or photo studio do. For example, a few places here in new york have names like fast ashleys, random bus, quiet man, buzz, and crew cuts. people will figure it out. Just give it a cool name and people will find it. the CF gym here is called The Black Box.

it's not like you need to have the word gym or fitness in your title for people to know what's going on in there. it's the new gym in town. it's better than the rest. it's doing things no one else can touch. rise above the fray. name it something more like a rock band and less like a service station. Think of the cool tshirt possibilities...

my gym is called Clay http://www.insideclay.com and it's tagline is "our temple for yours." Needless to say, there aren't a whole lot of ball slams going on in there but it's a cool name.

here are some ideas along those lines...think of this as a brainstorm more than good or even coherent ideas:

Red
Red Sky
Sweat Angel
Whole Fitness
The Force
Spot
Just give it the number of the street address like 87Eleven.com
RX
The Perscription
White Board
The Box
Training Day
BBDB
KBDB
The Sub Shop
The Garage
#
The Pound
The Maul
Kilo Monster
2 Point 2
The Old School
Tucson
Owners Manual
Peak

"Where do you workout?"
"At 'Peak'."
"Cool, I hear that place is really great."

so much for brainstorming...

Dave Paton
04-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Garrett,

I saw a flyer at the base gym from some lady who is offering CF classes or at least classes by that name. Not sure if she's certified but I can get you her name/email if you want. Maybe she's someone that could be interested in your gym....

Garrett Smith
04-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Dave,
That would be great if you could get her email, or even send her to my website to contact me.

So I told my wife-slash-office manager-slash-fund director about the names. She's hesitant about the whole gym thing as I'm buying this cold laser practice and she cannot see the synergy as well as I can. Anyway, I told her about "The Gymnasium" name. She loved it, and I must say that I feel good when I think about that name. I think we may have a winner. Scott, remember that everyone is creative, it only takes one idea...

Yael, about this weekend. I'm really feeling that I want to keep the momentum of this facility going, and I think that the Udall Park workouts really help with that--the more often they are, the more it allows for new people to show who had previous schedule conflicts. Also, my wife is going out of town this weekend and I want something to do on Saturday morning. I'm thinking of doing these workouts about every two weeks, so there will be no shortage of opportunities to attend!

Thanks to everyone for the replies, no name is final until we open shop!

Yael Grauer
04-18-2007, 08:18 AM
No worries, I won't hold the weekend workout against you. :)

I wonder if that Crossfit lady is the one Scott was talking about who just does some kind of step aerobics on base and calls it Crossfit?

Garrett Smith
04-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Let's hope not...however, we have all made mistakes in our past...

kevin mckay
04-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I like Guerrilla Strength