PDA

View Full Version : Tight muscles associated with any vitamin deficiency?

kevin mckay
04-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Tight muscles associated with any vitamin deficiency?
What types of vitamins might help maintain muscle elasticity?

Garrett Smith
04-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Kevin,
I'd suggest you first try some magnesium.

PM me if you'd like to know my recommendation.

Since I started taking a significant dose of Mg, I don't notice any of the cramping (even the creatine-related cramping) and muscle tightness I used to have.

It's the first thing I'd try. A whole-food-based potassium would be next...

Mike ODonnell
04-21-2007, 07:09 AM
I agree with Mg, I found ZMA worked well.....

Robert Allison
04-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I second the recommendation on ZMA.

Also, unless you are fairly certain the stiffness is being caused by a deficiency, you might try self myofascial release.

http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/ArticleMyofacialRelease (http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/matriarch/MultiPiecePage.asp_Q_PageID_E_91_A_PageName_E_Arti cleMyofacialRelease)

That can be very helpful for muscle stiffness.

Garrett Smith
04-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Cressey and Robertson have a good article on Self Myofascial Release on T-nation...

Mike ODonnell
04-21-2007, 04:45 PM
some people have also found relief with adding some ACV in....supposed ph balancer and helps with the Na/K ratio?

kevin mckay
04-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Ok I take bone up by jarrow

it has
Magnesium (as Oxide) 600.00 mg 150%
Manganese (as Citrate) 1.00 mg 50%

and then a solgar multi that has
Magnesium 10mg
Manganese 1.00 mg

That should be enough between the 2 right?

Looks like my potassium intake was low so I will start taking 90mg a day sound good?

Thanks

kevin mckay
04-21-2007, 05:17 PM
I do the foam roller stuff, the stiffness is mostly in my wrists, hand and forearms.

I have thought about trying the zma for a while now if for no other reason than the cool Carlos Castaneda dreams people report so if the potassium does not do the trick maybe I will try that.

Anybody know of any free zhealth type of resources online? I will be 40 this year and really think I need to start working on my joint health.

Steve Shafley
04-22-2007, 05:50 AM
I like the magnesium powders from Beyond A Century.

You can get the bioavailable forms less expensively.

Garrett Smith
04-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Kevin,
Based on your "stiffness" presentation, I highly suggest you try avoiding nightshades very strictly for a month. Basic list again--tomatoes, potatoes (not sweet potatoes or yams), ALL peppers (not peppercorns), eggplant, goji (wolf) berries, gooseberries, and paprika.

Yes it's a "pain" to do, and it will likely have an impact on your pain.

Robert Allison
04-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Garrett,

Apart from Dr. Childrer's site & books, what resources have you found most useful in researching nightshades?