PDA

View Full Version : CroCop Upset

Sam Cannons
04-22-2007, 12:56 AM
What an unusual finish to ufc. A grappler knocks out a world class striker with a head kick most disappointed.

A die hard Crocop fan

Sam In Aus

Robert Allison
04-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Wow... I never would have guessed that. I am also a big fan of Mirko and was looking forward to him fighting Couture

He was also knocked out by Kevin Randelman a while back. I wonder if he gets so focused on ground defense against grapplers that he neglects their striking.

Of course, it could also just be that the skill level in MMA has risen to the point to where there is some degree of parity.

Greg Everett
04-22-2007, 12:04 PM
that was possible the gnarliest knockout i've ever seen... i thought his head was going to come off. not to mention the position his knee and ankle were in when he hit the deck. i think he had an apgar score of about 4 for a couple minutes there. fuuuuuudge that.

gonzaga vs cotoure is going to be very interesting...

Robert Allison
04-22-2007, 04:28 PM
that was possible the gnarliest knockout i've ever seen... i thought his head was going to come off.

Yeah, I heard it was pretty nasty. I missed the fight--totally forgot it was a free event on Spike. I am hoping the clip gets uploaded to YouTube or somewhere. I would definitely like to see it.

The debate over whether Pride or the UFC has the best fighters should get interesting.

Greg Everett
04-22-2007, 04:30 PM
I am hoping the clip gets uploaded to YouTube or somewhere.

no doubt that clip will top highlight lists for many years to come...

Robb Wolf
04-22-2007, 05:03 PM
That definitely made me decide to keep most of my training in the grappling realm. Crocop has been largely undefeated in chess his whole life...I hope that is still the case.

Greg Everett
04-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Crocop has been largely undefeated in chess his whole life...I hope that is still the case.

i'll be shocked if he can even remember what chess is after that brain trauma.

Robert Allison
04-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I found it on DailyMotion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/crocop (http://www.dailymotion.com/search/crocop/video/x1sfhz_ufc70napaogonzagavsmirkocrocop)

Holy #@$& That was brutal.

Cro Cop is often more of a counter-puncher, but he seemed very tentative. Still, very impressive performance by Gonzaga.

That definitely made me decide to keep most of my training in the grappling realm.

Yep... we train stand-up, but are very conscious of avoiding hard shots that land on the old CPU. Too many blows to the head, even at the amateur level, is bad ju-ju.

Derek Simonds
04-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Yep... we train stand-up, but are very conscious of avoiding hard shots that land on the old CPU. Too many blows to the head, even at the amateur level, is bad ju-ju.

Speaking of too many blows to the head, Tuesday night at No-Gi I was defending a guard pass from one of the black belt. I was spinning with him and I had my right hand on his hip and I he was trying to move into side control. Well me in my infinite wisdom tucked my head and brought my knee up to block his move. Not so good as I kneed myself right in the mouth and damn near gave him the TKO.

I woke up Wednesday wondering what the hell happened to my mouth.

Robert Allison
04-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Speaking of too many blows to the head, Tuesday night at No-Gi I was defending a guard pass from one of the black belt. I was spinning with him and I had my right hand on his hip and I he was trying to move into side control. Well me in my infinite wisdom tucked my head and brought my knee up to block his move. Not so good as I kneed myself right in the mouth and damn near gave him the TKO.

I woke up Wednesday wondering what the hell happened to my mouth.

Dude, that had to hurt. We have been working a lot on defending and escaping from side control. Getting your body into that tucked position is a good strategy; it is more difficult to flip you on to your back and you can shrimp out with a little space. Your tuck might have been a little tight, though. :)

It seems like the faster speed of the No-Gi game lends itself to more of those incidents. We have been working a lot of Gi lately, which tends to be a little more methodical.

Mark Bennett
04-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Wow, must say that this result came as a bit of a surprise to me, but not as big a surprise as seeing Cro Cop standing on that leg for the post match interview...... that was nasty! :eek:

Grady McDonald
04-23-2007, 03:29 AM
There have been quite a number of "upsets" this year...
Diaz/Gomi
Serra/GSP
Soku /arona/Nog
Hendo/silva

That KO will be on every highlite reel for 10 yrs. Goes to show.....EVERYONE is one strike away from going nite nite.

Robb Wolf
04-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Crocop has always fought a loose game. His pressure tends to keep people from launching much attack but i wondered how long that would work.

John Vernon
04-23-2007, 06:05 PM
OW! Seeing Cro Cops ankle folded under him was pretty bad to...rough night.

Kind of reminded me when Randleman knocked Cro Cop out cold with that punch in Pride.

John Vernon
04-23-2007, 06:18 PM
There have been quite a number of "upsets" this year...
Diaz/Gomi
Serra/GSP
Soku /arona/Nog
Hendo/silva

That KO will be on every highlite reel for 10 yrs. Goes to show.....EVERYONE is one strike away from going nite nite.

Didn't they rule the Diaz/Gomi fight a no contest due to Diaz's rampant abuse of marijuana as a performance enhancing drug?? It's good to see MMA finally tackle the serious issues. After all, only a complete stoner could beat an arguably better striker in Gomi on his feet and then throw in a gogoplata to finish him off.

Grady McDonald
04-23-2007, 10:41 PM
^^^^Yes, Diaz 420'd his way to a no contest.