PDA

View Full Version : Why am I gaining weight?

Cassi_Nesmith
04-23-2007, 08:59 AM
I lost ten pounds the first week and gained five back. The next. Here is a few days of what I ate.

Wednesday evening
meat loaf (grass-fed beef, eggs, mustard, worstichere sauce, tomato sauce, walnuts)
mixed greens w/ olive oil and vinegar
cherries in brandy w/ alcohol boiled off

thursday (181)
one chicken sausage shared with 2 1/2 year old
carrots

hand full of almonds

mixed green salad with artichoke hearts, raisins, olive oil and vinegar

ACK!!!! four chocolate chip cookies with walnuts - first transgression since our mexico trip

1 clemetine

chicken soup with broth, white meat, carrots

Friday
2 eggs with 2 types of tomato salsa (tomillo and red)

Dried pineapple

2 cups coffee, one reg, one decaf

Left over soup

Clementines

Almonds

Greek chicken and quinoa (not strictly paleo I know but we were at a friendís house for a party)
Salad
Some kind of juice
Guacamole
2 deviled eggs

Saturday
Almonds
Eggs with salsa

ľ cup almonds
1 banana
Water

dried pineapple

something I don't remember for dinner

My guess is either I'm eating too much dried fruit or too many nuts. I'll keep a better diary the next few days (it was a busy weekend and I couldn't keep close track but I thought I'd see if I could get some help.

Also the paleo-thin says to limit eggs but nothing else I read says the same

Steve Shafley
04-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Could be exactly that.

Might be variations in how much water your body is holding, too. Most dramatic swings like that have more to do with water than anything else.

Mike ODonnell
04-23-2007, 10:26 AM
I agree with rapid swings are water mostly..,.look at the sodium content of all your foods...there might be some hidden in somewhere (sauces, condiments, etc). Add in more potassium....celery is a good source and a natural diuretic.

Cassi_Nesmith
04-23-2007, 10:52 AM
I agree with rapid swings are water mostly..,.look at the sodium content of all your foods...there might be some hidden in somewhere (sauces, condiments, etc). Add in more potassium....celery is a good source and a natural diuretic.

I get concerned about keeping my sodium levels low because I take a medicine
that requires my sodium levels high. I'll pick up some celery at the store today.

Thanks, guys.

Greg Everett
04-23-2007, 11:44 AM
yes, track water intake. 16 little oz = 1 lb. and going overboard on the fats like nuts is an easy way to unknowingly add a huge bolus of calories.

Nikki Young
05-08-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm interested to know how much celery would one need to consume for it to start acting as a diuretic? I presume juicing would be the best way to get a good hit of its nutritional value?

Also Mike, why did you mention to try and consume more potassium, is potassium a form of diuretic?

Garrett Smith
05-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Less fruit of any and all kinds. Especially dried.

You have a ton of nightshades (tomato, potato, all peppers, eggplant) in there. I'd suggest reducing (preferably eliminating) those.

Look to the iodine threads, you may be interested in testing...

Will Schultz
05-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Less fruit of any and all kinds. Especially dried.

You have a ton of nightshades (tomato, potato, all peppers, eggplant) in there. I'd suggest reducing (preferably eliminating) those.

Look to the iodine threads, you may be interested in testing...

Forgive me for the newbie question, but why the hate towards nightshades? I've noticed they don't seem to be the most popular thing around here, but I haven't really been able to understand why. Any info or links you could give to help me out?

note: The article from BFS that Robb Wolf posted in another thread has several nightshades on its list of recommended paleo veggies, I'm confused.

Chris Forbis
05-13-2007, 09:57 AM
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KWZ/is_5_4/ai_111734421

Lots of other stuff out there on nightshades. This was the top hit from Google.

Garrett Smith
05-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Will,
I've posted a lot of stuff on nightshades on the CrossFit forum.

Also, go to www.noarthritis.com .

Nightshades hated me first...