PDA

View Full Version : Doctor suggests paleo...

Cassi_Nesmith
04-24-2007, 10:42 AM
...may be too high in protein.

I'm sure there are opinions on this and I'd like to hear them.

Back ground information:

He asked where I got this diet in the first place.

He warned adamantly against Atkins because it caused significant problems with other patient's treatment. (Very strong warning, and well founded)

I want to add, his treatment has been quite good, holistic and open minded. He's recommended vitamins and supplements (Fish oil!) as adjunct to the pharmaceuticals.

P.S. If you really think you need to know what I'm being treated for, pm me, as I do not want that info on a public forum.

Garrett Smith
04-24-2007, 11:02 AM
The Paleo diet is not inherently high in protein. Just eat more vegetables.

I specifically tell people to treat their meals as having vegetables for the main dish, everything else is a side dish (including meat). If you told this doctor that, I don't think he'd have an issue.

The Atkins diet can be a horrible diet or a great diet--it depends on the source and quality of the foods one uses in it. High amounts of grain-fed beef and pork, little vegetables and fruit, and high amounts of artificial sweeteners will make anyone sick, yet this would be totally okay on the Atkins diet.

Paleo to me refers to how food choices are made--it has very little to do with the amounts of various foods.

Robb Wolf
04-25-2007, 07:14 AM
Cassi-
Not much to add to Gerrett's excellent post. If you want to have your Dr. Email me feel free to: robb@norcalsc.com

Id refer him to the voluminous peer reviewed articles at http://www.thepaleodiet.com/published_research/

Too much protein? You Doc needs to read up, that one was put to bed quite some time ago.

Cassi_Nesmith
04-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I specifically tell people to treat their meals as having vegetables for the main dish, everything else is a side dish (including meat). If you told this doctor that, I don't think he'd have an issue.

How does this look at breakfast time? I have trouble choking down eggs and fruit. (But I do eat breakfast every day)

Garrett Smith
04-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Cassi,
I do a shake like this pre-workout on my feeding days:

7-8 oz. (homemade) kombucha
2 oz. prune juice
1 Tbsp. Fruits 'n Greens (aka NewChapter Berry Green)
1 serving (2 scoops) hemp protein
4g creatine monohydrate

6 grams of BCAAs

I do a PWO shake that involves raw eggs, pineapple, and powdered glandulars, figure you're not interested in that.

What about cooking eggs and veggies together (or as I say, "eggs with a bunch of stuff in them")?

Wild smoked salmon is a great option too. Or good lunch meat. Or quinoa/millet/amaranth/buckwheat cooked as a hot cereal, if you're down with the grain-like seeds...

Cassi_Nesmith
04-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Cassi,

What about cooking eggs and veggies together (or as I say, "eggs with a bunch of stuff in them")?

Wild smoked salmon is a great option too. Or good lunch meat. Or quinoa/millet/amaranth/buckwheat cooked as a hot cereal, if you're down with the grain-like seeds...

oh yeah - omelettes (doh!) Are grain-like cereals "okay"? Paleo-thin did not like them. I would like them though.

Garrett Smith
04-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Cassi,
It's up to you. A little of those particular cereals would likely be okay, in my opinion, a couple days a week. Is it *optimal*? Probably not. Definitely prepare them with some veggies in them.

Soaking them overnight before cooking will also help to remove even more of the antinutrients, making them even less objectionable.

Over time, you'll figure out truly Paleo breakfasts that you like. I've found the shakes in the morning are the most agreeable and easiest to prepare for me. I save my cooking for dinners.

Buckwheat (kasha) actually has a decent bit of research on it improving insulin sensitivity in diabetics.

Kim Dowse
04-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Cassi - not certain how you are cooking your eggs, but here's my favorite breakfast...egg pancake (easy to take to work for me).
6 egg whites
fruit (strawberries, blueberries....your choice)
8-9 peacans or almonds
stevia
cinnamon

heat omelette pan (over low heat w/olive oil)
beat the egg whites
fold in berries
fold in nuts
a few dashes of cinnamon
add to pan, cover, cook approx 4 mins, flip over, cook another 2 min
Voila!

Sometimes I'll top with a tsp of maple syrup or a nut butter. I eat them hot or cold. I'm on the road for work and these are easy to eat with your fingers. Had one for dinner after my XF workout. I go through 3-4 dozen egg whites weekly...I'm addicted to them.

Bobby Spencer
04-26-2007, 03:29 AM
Kim,
That sounds really good. Do you think it would still be good to cook it the night before and then reheat it in the morning right before I leave the house? Some mornings I don't have time to cook.

Scott Kustes
04-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Kim, why do you avoid the yolks? That's where all of the goodness is...the fat, the flavor, and the vitamins.

Cassi_Nesmith
04-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Why is stevia okay and honey is not?

Pierre Auge
04-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Stevia has a smaller impact on blood glucose then honey.

Garrett Smith
04-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Stevia is an herbal-based sweetener.

Honey is sugar, which may or may not help the situation. It's the other pollen compounds in honey that are supposed to be helping, despite the sugar.

Kim Dowse
04-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Kim, why do you avoid the yolks? That's where all of the goodness is...the fat, the flavor, and the vitamins.

Scott - 2 reasons on why I only use the whites for my breakfast pancake:
(1) the yolks are not "fluffy" when you whip/beat them
(2) I like the tast much better in th pancake w/out the yolks.

Kim Dowse
04-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Kim,
That sounds really good. Do you think it would still be good to cook it the night before and then reheat it in the morning right before I leave the house? Some mornings I don't have time to cook.

Bobby - I usually cook 4 or 5 of them on Sunday, put them in the fridge or freezer (makes it really easy to fill my cooler in the morning)...then I am set for the week. Besides berries, I've also made them with apples, sweet potatoes carrots and zucchini (not all together).

Cassi_Nesmith
04-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I made one of those pancakes. I used blue berries and vegetable oil because I thought the olive oil would be too strong and it wasn't too bad. Good idea to make several in advance.