PDA

View Full Version : A Gluten for Punishment

Kim Dowse
04-29-2007, 08:00 AM
It is possible to have a food hangover? I recently found out I was “gluten sensitive.” Three weeks ago I cut out all gluten from my diet (Ezekiel bread, zone and balance bars…which I ate a ton of, whole wheat crackers, Guinness, store bought dressings/sauces), went Paleo and started IF’ing (15/9) to gauge the effects on my body. Prior to this, I was already eating 85% organic foods and no dairy. For the past three weeks I have felt fantastic (no gas/bloating, more energy, feel lighter, etc.) We went out to dinner last night with friends…I feel like shit this morning! At approx 11p last night the gas/bloating/nausea was so painful that I could not sleep. I’ve had the runs all morning. This is what I ate/drank:

1.5 oz of Don Julio (straight up/ rocks on the side)
Appetizer – steak tartare…had capers and onions (split between 6 people)
Spinach salad (eggs, bacon, bacon dressing)
Grilled Swordfish
Veggies (asparagus, spin, tomatoes w/a butter-like dressing)
Berries drizzled in cream (4 spoonfuls)
Chocolate cake (3 bites)….this was my splurge

I know that the cake has gluten in it. I am just having a hard time (or maybe in denial) understanding that a few bites could throw me into such a tailspin, with just a “sensitivity” to gluten, not a full blown allergy. Lesson learned….I should have asked for everything be grilled or steamed with nothing else on it and brought my own homemade salad dressing…that’d go over really well in a $100 a head restaurant. Any dining out suggestions??????

Mike ODonnell
04-29-2007, 08:22 AM
from a man who knows his Guinness...yes it can happen...although I find sugar to be a bigger culprit....

Garrett Smith
04-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Combining gluten, dairy, sugar, nightshades, high mercury content fish, and alcohol...I'd suspect the whole gang's synergy, over guessing at which one did the most...

Kim Dowse
04-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Combining gluten, dairy, sugar, nightshades, high mercury content fish, and alcohol...I'd suspect the whole gang's synergy, over guessing at which one did the most...

Dr. G - not certain I feel better or worse after reading your post:eek: It's interesting how food affects the body. In any case, I hit google after I read your post...did not know (1) tomatoes were a nightshade (and the good/bad with nightshades and (2) swordfish has one of the higher mercury levels in fish. I'll be much better prepared thenext time I dine out!

Garrett Smith
04-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Glad I could "help"...

My mom was noting an increase in her thumb pain this morning, she's finally starting to understand what impact foods can have on her musculoskeletal comfort (my parents had a little party at their house last night with very cheat-ful foods, although they did say that there were no nightshades involved--just alcohol, dairy, gluten, sugar, etc....)

Food hangovers suck, especially when you're doing so well on your eating and you "earn" a good cheat...I totally understand. At this point, I've decided my cheats will tend towards dairy and sugar, maybe rarely including a little gluten, and avoiding nightshades in any significant amount (salsa's a tough one, but I'll likely never eat it again) all the time.

I do like a good tequila though (alcohol without the wheat or potato, safe enough).