PDA

View Full Version : Question for Garrett

Daniel Christensen
04-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Hi Dr G

I'm curious about the recipes below. If you've got time I'd appreciate it if you could explain ingredient selection.

I do a shake like this pre-workout on my feeding days:

7-8 oz. (homemade) kombucha
2 oz. prune juice
1 Tbsp. Fruits 'n Greens (aka NewChapter Berry Green)
1 serving (2 scoops) hemp protein
4g creatine monohydrate

6 grams of BCAAs

I do a PWO shake that involves raw eggs, pineapple, and powdered glandulars, figure you're not interested in that.

Cheers

Dan

Dave Paton
04-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Couldn't the hemp protein lead to a positive urinalysis test for marijuana?

Robert Allison
04-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Apparently, hemp oil can return a positve test, according to this study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?itool=abstractplus&db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=abstractplus&list_uids=9323529). I'm not sure about hemp powder, but I have heard anecdotal accounts of people consuming hemp products and then returning a false positive for marijuana.

I don't know how often that happens, though.

Robb Wolf
04-30-2007, 01:55 PM
When I worked in Colorado I assayed some hemp food bars for THC. A guy was kicked out of the military for a positive drug test and made the claim that it was the bars. THC was easily assayed via RIA (radio-immuno-assay) and it got the guy back in the military. Poppy seeds can score you a positive opiate test. So can imodium.

Garrett Smith
04-30-2007, 02:06 PM
If you're going to buy hemp protein (~3g of "oil" per serving, that's the "risky" part), I'd suggest Nutiva (www.Nutiva.com) for the reason below, from http://nutiva.com/faq/faq_hemp.php:

Q. If I recently consumed hemp foods, could I fail a drug test?
A. If the only source of the psychoactive THC in your body is from hemp foods, produced from Canadian grown hemp seeds and eaten in reasonable quantities, it is virtually impossible to fail a drug test by ingesting hemp foods due to the fact that THC levels in our products are barely measurable.

The TestPledge program is a voluntary commitment by the North American hemp food industry to limit THC concentrations to levels where they cannot result in positive drug tests. Nutiva joined the TestPledge program in 2001. Nutiva's hemp food products meet Canadian government and TestPledge standards for hemp foods.

We recommend that you read the TestPledge Answers page first. If you need more technical information please download and read the study summary "Evaluating Interference of THC in Hemp Food Products With Employee Drug Testing," which was prepared by Gero Leson, D.Env. and Petra Pless. Please click here to download. (PDF file 21k)

Garrett Smith
04-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Back to the original question:

Hemp protein--source of fiber and protein to get the bowels moving
Kombucha--cultured tea for probiotics, organic acids, and a tiny little bit of pre-workout sugars
Fruits 'n Greens--one serving of F&V plus more probiotics and fiber, all in one Tbsp!
Prune juice (2 oz.)--antioxidants, a little sugar, and keeps the bowels moving
Creatine and BCAAs--so I can get hyooooge LOL...

PWO shake:
Glandulars--because we should be eating them primarily, not so much the muscle meat
Flaxseed--fiber, ALA, lignans
Pineapple--bromelain to help digest the glandulars (and help a bit with the flavor) and some PWO carbs
Pastured raw eggs--EFAs and cheap good protein (I've found that cooked eggs give me a lot of flatulence while raw eggs digest great)
Water--so I can actually drink it...

Daniel Christensen
05-01-2007, 06:40 AM
What benefits are there from organ extracts (other than not having to eat organs themselves, which only taste good when they show up as suspicious lumps at the pies you get at the footy along with the $5 cups of mid-strength)?

Robert Allison
05-01-2007, 07:28 AM
What benefits are there from organ extracts (other than not having to eat organs themselves...

To honest, that is a large part of it for me. I take raw glandular powder caps because I haven't yet developed a taste for most organ meats, and, the fact that most health food stores don't offer a wide selection, at least in my neck of the woods. Pretty much just liver.

Regarding organ meats in general, Weston Price found in his research that indigenous & traditional cultures valued the organ meat above all other animal parts for their nutritional value. Liver, for example, is relatively high in the fat-soluble vitamins (A & D), and is also a source of other important nutrients. Animals in the wild demonstrate the same behavior; muscle tissue is generally consumed only have the organs have been consumed.

I am not sure if there is any additional benefit from using extracts, as opposed to just eating the organs. Perhaps Garrett can shed some light on that.

Garrett Smith
05-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Did I say extracts? I meant freeze-dried powders. Sorry 'boot that.

I use them for the reasons that Robert said. Plus they help nourish the yin (muscle meat is yang). Organ meats are just plain better in every way (except to our modern taste buds) than muscle meat.

www.leviticus11.com is where I get them from, organic grassfed Argentian glandular powders.

Daniel Christensen
05-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for that.

It's not somthing I'd heard of before, but I'll be keeping an eye out for more information now.