PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season Rugby Training Program

Randy Little
04-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Now that the rugby season has officially ended, except for 7's which I will not play, I need to structure a workout plan for the coming season and could use some help.

I am 35 now, 6'2 & 245, my strength needs to improve across the board, and since I cannot move like I once could my projected position would be Tighthead prop. I would like to have my playing weight between 235 and 240. I have been working on a program that James Evans helped design for me that helped me through the season. It follows:

Mon - strength
tue - short intervals - practice
wed - speed lifts
thu - long interval - practice
fri -rest
sat - game day
sun recovery - swim or bike

There is about 16 weeks until the start of fall season. I am intrigued by some of the single leg stuff proposed by Michael Boley, but have never tried any of it.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

James Evans
04-30-2007, 08:11 AM
Randy,

You've got plenty of time to play with. Have you just finished the season? I want to know how tired/beat up you are?

I think Shaf might be more suited to take the lead on this as you looking at prop as your position.

So you need to focus on strength, short distance speed (10 metre sprints) and some conditioning for general scrummaging/mauling. At 6'2" you could possibly jump at the lineout I guess or are you up against really tall guys a lot?

Randy Little
04-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Hey James, thanks for responding.

When we lift we either lift a light flanker or one of our tall 2nd rows, This past year we had a couple of guys who were both at least 4 inches taller than me.

I am not too beat up, my calf muscle tear caused a real strain though. I started favoring my right leg more and that cause both my ankles and knees to start hurting. Before that I was moving around quite well. I haven't done any work for 7 days now and feel pretty healthy except for a little ankle tenderness.

The upper body stuff I was doing served me well, the push presses and half cleans along with the Crossfit warmups which I added push-ups to made my lifting and scrummaging much better than I was used to. I ended up playing tighthead becasue of my left calf, I could push in from the right side with no problem.

James Evans
04-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Over in the UK the top level back row forwards are all mostly 6' + and the locks will be 6' 4" minimum. There are of course one or two centres and wings out there who are 6'4"/6'5".

But at the more grassroots level you're getting guys who are less into the realms of giantdom and that's why I was wondering how you fared height wise although to be honest I did expect you to be lifting rather than jumping.

I think we are looking at something like this (but this off the top of my head so like Pierre's opinions, subject to change):

Month 1 - GPP
Month 2 - Hypertrophy
Month 3 - Strength
Month 4 - Power

Maybe take another week off and then get back into the groove with some CrossFit style stuff for a couple of weeks and then onto Month 2 - big compound exercises in the 8-10 rep range, squats, push presses, bench, rows, dls etc.

Month 3 up the weight, drop the reps.

Month 4 we're upping the speed.

This is simplistic but I think you'll get the gist.

I have to check something at home but we will also schedule in running/conditioning work alongside. For a prop Litvi sprints and sled drags would be good. Hope you like burpees...

We need to address your calf too but I really need to give way to someone more knowledgeable on rehab issues.

Randy Little
04-30-2007, 09:30 AM
That is good stuff, although I do not like burpees and am not sure what a Litvi sprint is. This past year I started exercising with my girls and when it was my turn I would do some short sprints I had one where I would sprint, pick them up and carry them back to the starting line, etc... , they loved it. That kind of stuff, like pushing a sled, has always tested my conditioning more than anything else.

I think my calf is almost 100% now, it has been almost 5 weeks and I dont even think about it at all.

So what I should do is ride a bike or swim and hit crossfit 2-3 times a week. Then move back into the lifting regimen, that sounds like a great idea.

James Evans
04-30-2007, 09:45 AM
I got the Litvi thing from Dan John. You might have heard of him, flies around Utah in a flying saucer.

Basic premise is you perform a lifting movement, say a kettlebell swing or a power clean with a sandbag, bang out a couple of reps and then dump and immediately sprint a given distance. It's complex training really. Keep the distance short.

A tool called a Powerbag has become very popular in rugby circles (where it was developed) and is ideal for this kind of thing:

http://www.performt.com/

but it is essentially a sandbag so you can easily improvise.

One of the main draws of stuff like this? It's fun. Just like playing with your kids.

chris hill
04-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi James,

As another rugby player i'm always very interested to hear what you have to say regarding sports specific training. Out of interest what is your experience, was it player then trainer?

Anyway the question i was going to ask was if you could expand on your recommendations for a month of GPP, i really need to haul myself into shape and if i could keep my training specific it would be a bonus.

Thanks
Chris

James Evans
05-01-2007, 02:10 AM
Hi James,

As another rugby player i'm always very interested to hear what you have to say regarding sports specific training. Out of interest what is your experience, was it player then trainer?

Anyway the question i was going to ask was if you could expand on your recommendations for a month of GPP, i really need to haul myself into shape and if i could keep my training specific it would be a bonus.

Thanks
Chris

As a player in a different age when running (and lots of running) and push ups were considered good training.

I think for a month of GPP then CrossFit comes into it's element. I was always a fan of Michael Rutherford's format of Monday/Wednesday/Friday on his blog:

http://coachrut.blogspot.com/

but he has recently changed the format slightly. Have a look at the archives though.

The 3 on, 1 off format of CrossFit HQ is a little less easy to work around I feel but that website is an amazing resource for taxing workouts. Even the ones that look kind of ok on paper take a little bit of you away with them.

Anyway, I would schedule 3 (maybe 4 if you're feeling good) such sessions a week and add in maybe a swim, a bike ride, a session on a Concept 2. Because athletes like rugby players tend to be big guys (obviously the forwards in particular) these take some weight off your joints.

The reason I favour Rutherford's stuff is because it contains less of the gymnastic movements of CrossFit HQ. I totally accept the rationale behind training gymnastic movements for general fitness but for a rugby player you should be working on your skills like passing, kicking, tackling not your planche.

Here's a good session off the CrossFit messageboards from ages ago:

15 Thrusters
12 Sumo Deadlift High Pull
10 Burpees

5 rounds for time. Use a 30kg bar. That comes up on you pretty quick. Can't remember off hand who came up with that.

Have a play around and have some fun.

joe murphy
05-02-2007, 08:51 AM
my season is over first weekend in june. I want to spend the next few months working on two things: speed and endurance. i found it tough to keep pace this spring. and 80 minutes has never seemed longer.

on a horrible note, I was asked if I wanted to prop.

Andy Shirley
05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
on a horrible note, I was asked if I wanted to prop.

That happened to me at my first practice in college. Don't be discouraged. The front row is a wonderful place, if you're tough enough.

Steve Shafley
05-02-2007, 08:08 PM
except for 7's which I will not play

Hah.

You'll notice that I take a more concurrent approach than James. I think that you can get damn near everything done all at once, with perhaps a bit of emphasis on conditioning in the last 4-5 weeks before the season starts, providing you don't lose much of your condition over the off-season.

Prop specific strength work:

I've found these movements translated into better propping for me. Maybe you will too. I propped at 5'11.5" and ~235-255 lbs.

LOWER BODY:

1. EXPLOSIVE PULLS: Power cleans. I'd cycle between PCs from the floor, PCs from the hang, and high pulls with a clean grip. 2-3 week cycles in each movement. The inherent speed and violence of the power clean is really valuable for any forward. I use it so you can translate the "slower" kind of strength gains from the other work into a more explosive movement.
2. SQUATS: I'd really lean towards cycling through the back squat, front squat, and box squat in 2-3 week cycles for each movement.
3. POSTERIOR CHAIN STRENGTH: Good Morning: I feel the GM is better for a prop than the deadlift. The prop's upperbody and neck is engaged during the scrummage (as well as rucking and mauling) and it always felt to me that the good morning provided a better preparation for that sort of work. If you need to cycle this, I'd alternate a GM with an SLDL or an RDL, just because GMs seem to really grind you down.

UPPER BODY:

1. PRESSING STRENGTH: The push press is very important, especially for a lifter. Cycle Push press, incline press, and bench press.
2. MIDBACK & LAT STRENGTH: Chins or Weighted Chins, Rows, 1 Arm Rows.

The Little Things That Matter:

Neck. As a prop you have to work your neck. My suggested neck movements follow:
a. Manual Neck: This has the benefit of being able to be done anywhere. Front, back and sides
b. Neck Harness or Machine work: Because the neck often needs more than manual resistance. I really like the neck lift...i.e. you put the headstrap on, bend over and attach it to a loading pin, and you stand up with it. The isometric contraction is going to build strength exactly how you will need it in the scrum. Follow heavy neck lifts with light, pumping neck movements with the machine or harness.
c. Neck nods. Lie on a bench. Wrap a plate in a towel. Put the towel on your forehead and hang your head off the edge. Now work neck flexion movements carefully.

Calves and tibialis:

Tibialis work is something that will save your ankles and perhaps your knees as well. The tibialis is grotesquely undertrained by damn near everyone, and it's easy to remedy. Stand on a box or a step, hang your feet off the front. Lower your toes to the floor then pull them upwards towards the ceiling. Progress from two feet to one foot, and you can also add resistance by shifting your weight around. If you so desire, you can pick up or make a tibialis-specific exerciser called a DARD. I'm going to ask you to google it.

Calves: I preferred, as a rugby player, to work my calves one at a time.

Since you expressed and interest in one legged work, let me suggest some unilateral progressions:

Quad Dominant:
Lunges-->Split Squats with foot on ground--->Split squats with rear foot elevated

Glute/Hip Dominant:
1 leg Good Mornings--->1 leg deadlift variations

Putting it all together can be a mess.

I would like to see you have 3 strength sessions a week, and all of them be full body sessions. I might set them up in an alternating fashion:

Workout 1:
Explosive Pulls
Squats
Back
Neck

Workout 2:
Squats
Posterior Chain Strength
Pressing
Calves

My thoughts on conditioning:

Hard, short sprinting workouts AFTER lifting sessions. Think quality not quantity. You just want to manage the erosion of your in-season conditioning. I'd seriously consider hill sprints if possible.

XF style metcons can be detrimental to strength, so, you need to make a decision...conditioning emphasis in the FIRST half of the preseason, or in the second half. Personally, I'd lean towards the second half. You also mentioned sleds. Feel free to do some heavy and hard sled dragging instead of the XF style metcons.

Let's say we divide it up into two 8 week periods.

First 8 weeks:

3 strength sessions weekly. 1 sprint session, 1 WOD session.

My suggestions (NOTE, these are just suggestions, and I just came up with them, there are probably better ways to fit the work into your specific schedule)

SUN: OFF or active recovery
MON: Strength A + Sprint session
TUE: Probably Practice
WED: Strength B
THU: Probably Practice
FRI: Strength A + Metcon or Sled
SAT: Off or active recovery

Rotate your exercises every 2-3 weeks, unless one feels like shit and stale. If you really can't make it work, switch immediately.

And as far as practice...if you are doing conditioning during practice, then that might certainly change things up.

Second 8 weeks (conditioning emphasis)

SUN: Off or active recovery
Monday: Strength A + Sprint work
Tuesday: WOD or Sled conditioning, Practice
Wednesday: Strength B
Thursday: Practice, WOD or Sled Conditioning
Friday: Sprint work
SAT: OFF or active recovery

You really need to be able to successfully gauge your work capacity, and if training is completely out of the question, then just skip the day occasionally.

Active recovery:

-walking
-playing with kids/dog
-sauna/steamroom/hot tub/ice bath
-biking
-light swimming

Lord this is a mess. I'll have to look at it tomorrow to see if I can clean it up a bit.

James Evans
05-03-2007, 02:43 AM
Steve, I was beginning to think you'd lost interest or something...

In Phil Larder's 'Rugby League Coacing Manual' (published around 1990) he states that you should never sprint/plyo etc. on the same day as performing any leg work in the gym.

Rugby League was pretty far ahead of Union in those days but some of the training methods are bit out of date. Obviously the above statement completely rules out complex training for example.

What are your thoughts on this?

Steve Shafley
05-03-2007, 04:40 AM
There are several ways to look at it, I like to look at the accumulation of high "intensity" stressors to the body.

For example, I'd prefer to see this cycle:

Day 1: Strength + Speed
Day 2: Off

Rather than this cycle:

Day 1: Strength
Day 2: Speed

Speed being genuine work on speed, not necessarily conditioning. The speed work is an iffy thing for an American rugger. The cost/benefit ratio is often not there, and he's almost always better off working on being much more highly conditioned that he is.

I'd rather see the first because you aren't spreading out your higher intensity (and I'm talking about impact to the body and to the CNS). Metabolic conditioning is almost always has a higher impact on the body but a medium to low impact on the CNS. Conditioning running can be set up AFTER weight work in the cycle (to minimized the deleterious effects upon the strength work)

American Rugby is almost always set up like this:

Tuesday: Practice
Thursday: Practice
Saturday: Game

The problem arises when your coach wants to perform conditioning during practice.

So, the first question is "Am I getting enough conditioning from practice to play?" The answer is probably not until the season begins.

The second question is "Am I getting the right kind of conditioning from my coach?" Again...in the US, probably not, though it seems to be catching up to speed.

Ah, you see, already, my thoughts are more organized than they were yesterday.

Randy Little
05-03-2007, 04:42 AM
In Phil Larder's 'Rugby League Coacing Manual' (published around 1990) he states that you should never sprint/plyo etc. on the same day as performing any leg work in the gym.

Steve,

What an incredible post, holy cow where do I send the check! That looks like a great workout, the propping situation is one where as a 35 (almost 36) year old second row (wanna be 8-man) I either have to take up tennis or play prop and be quiet. Since I want to play I must prepare myself for the impact. The Good Mornings should work perfect for this.

I have played 7's in the past, and am actually pretty decent, I have played on several representative sides. But my body is wearing down and I need to rest.

The question James asks is on my mind as well, I have always heard not to sprint and lift on the same day. This was mainly from coaches who probably did not know, they were simply repeating what they heard.

Steve Shafley
05-03-2007, 04:42 AM
High intensity stressors:

-games
-heavy strength work
-plyos
-speed work

Medium to low intensity stressors

-Metcon style conditioning work
-practice

Low intensity stressors

-LSD style aerobic training
-flexibility

Chris Forbis
05-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Shaf-

Epic post. Almost enough to get me to want to play rugby... though I would need to wait until I gain another 30 pounds.

Steve Shafley
05-03-2007, 04:51 AM
I hated 7s, because by that time of the year I would be into the drinking part of my periodization.

Steve Shafley
05-03-2007, 04:52 AM
Chris, there's plenty of room on the pitch for a game player of any size.

Randy Little
05-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Since there is so much rpeparation going into this off-season I am thinking of doing a fitness test over the next week and again before the season to gauge any increase in fitness level. Are there any ideas out there for some fitness tests?

So far I have:
10-yard dash - average of 2
40- yard dash - average of 2
Crossfit Total
5 km run

Also, can you tell me what a Meton is? I can go to Crossfit and check it out I guess. Does Golf and/or sitting by the pool count as active recovery?

Randy Little
05-03-2007, 05:54 AM
One more question, if during the off-season I only have 1 practice a week that is not really conditioning, what do I do on tuesday?

SUN: OFF or active recovery
MON: Strength A + Sprint session
TUE: Probably Practice
WED: Strength B
THU: Probably Practice
FRI: Strength A + Metcon or Sled
SAT: Off or active recovery

Steve Shafley
05-03-2007, 05:56 AM
Metcon? Good question! I don't really have a great definition for it. It's a conditioning workout that stresses specific energy pathways. It can be a combination of many different modalities.

Stuff like this:

chinx3
pushupsx5
bodyweight squatsx8

Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as possible.

Or

1 minute of jumping rope
30 seconds of 32kg kettlebell swings
30 seconds of bodyweight squats

5 rounds

Or (classic Crossfit-style)

Bodyweight deadliftx10
400 meter run

3 rounds for time.

Steve Shafley
05-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Light sled dragging to recover. That would work nicely.

Active recovery can be golf and poolside lounging.

chris hill
05-03-2007, 06:10 AM
Active recovery can be poolside lounging. yeah, w00t w00t :D

Steve, by bodyweight do you mean unladen or with a bar that is equal to your bodyweight

Steve Shafley
05-03-2007, 06:37 AM
Let's take me.

I'd do it with a 275# barbell. I would be too lazy to load 265.

So, bodyweight ON a barbell.

Randy Little
05-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Ok, I looked it up and Metcon = Metabolic Conditioning, which are basically the WOD, I was doing these before I started doing strength work again to get ready for rugby.

I still use the standard crossfit warmup before the strength sessions, awesome.

Hey Shaf, I dont see DB Curls in the workout plan, did you forget about these?

Steve Shafley
05-03-2007, 11:42 AM
fit 'em in as necessary.

Andy Shirley
05-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Steve, by bodyweight do you mean unladen or with a bar that is equal to your bodyweight

I find the word "unladen" to be one of the funniest in the English language. It never fails to recall one of the greatest films made. Its just a question of weight ratios!

For a scientific view:
http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/

Randy Little
05-04-2007, 08:29 AM
If I do Back Squats on Monday for strength A, do I do Back Squats on Wednesday for strength B, or should I choose a different squat for Wed?

Steve Shafley
05-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Either

1. Choose a different rep range
2. Choose a different squat variant

Randy Little
05-09-2007, 05:11 AM
Thanks. I am going to do a different Squat variant.

James Evans
05-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Steve has been spreading the love as I hoped he would and to be honest he knows far more on the subject than I think I ever will, unquestionably when it comes to the preparation of tight five forwards.

The main thing is to listen up, suck up and do what he tells you.

One thing I thought might be of interest is Dan's article on Litvinov. This method of training has been refered to a few times.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=9CCA6560E63FCA970B25A8C2AC 9E0B74.hydra?id=983219

This is a fantastic read.

Steve Shafley
05-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Yeah, that whole deal with Dan's stuff is an ideal kind of exercise modality for rugby players. Lift + Sled Run, etc...very good stuff.

There's a whole lot that I wish I would have understood better back when I was playing, but it all boils down to using high effort, high 'intensity', lower duration conditioning modalities for the sport coupled with smart weight training. The Livitinov stuff encompasses both, really.

Looking back, I had the weight training part down pretty well, and was heading more and more towards the other stuff. I would say I wasted a lot of training time with moderate distance running to "get in shape" when I could have used it doing hill sprints, running high speed ball drills, and stuff like that.

Thanks for the compliments, James. Right back at you. Your perspectives have given me a lot of things to think about.

Will Heffernan
05-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah, that whole deal with Dan's stuff is an ideal kind of exercise modality for rugby players. Lift + Sled Run, etc...very good stuff.
I thought Poliquin invented that? Maybe not...thank the Lord for Dan John...quite literally...as I think Dan has been on the Lords payroll for years now.
There's a whole lot that I wish I would have understood better back when I was playing, but it all boils down to using high effort, high 'intensity', lower duration conditioning modalities for the sport coupled with smart weight training. The Livitinov stuff encompasses both, really.
It isn't too late to make a comeback Shaf? I thought I saw somewhere else on here that you someone wrote you a program that'll have you doing 30 chins in 6 weeks or something like that...once you get that boxed off...throw yourself into pre season work and you'll be good to go.
Looking back, I had the weight training part down pretty well, and was heading more and more towards the other stuff. I would say I wasted a lot of training time with moderate distance running to "get in shape" when I could have used it doing hill sprints, running high speed ball drills, and stuff like that.
If only you hadn't of wasted your time 'getting in shape'.
Thanks for the compliments, James. Right back at you. Your perspectives have given me a lot of things to think about.
I think you are the best as well Shaf.

Steve Shafley
05-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Hey, Will. Welcome to the PMenu.

Maybe a quick intro would let other folks know who you are and where you are coming from, before really tucking in.

I met Will in Utah when I visited Dan John.

Will does work pretty extensively with rugby, soccer, and gaelic football players, if I recall things correctly. Professionally.

Robb Wolf
05-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Will-
If you know Dan, Shaf and the rest of those folks you are obviously an unsavory character. Welcome, you are among friends.

Steve Shafley
05-10-2007, 01:38 PM
BLACK THURSDAY.

Unsavory.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

Randy Little
05-18-2007, 06:23 AM
Ok gang, I thought I would post a quick update on progress so far.

The squats I have been rotating have been an overhead and a single leg, and the overheads are Killers. I have never done them before, and they just wipe me out totally, I started with the bar and was falling out all over the place. But today I did 3*6 with about 65 lbs on the,m and it worked out well. What is amazing is the concentration required, you cannot lean any direction at all or guess what, the bar is on the floor. The Single Legs are worthwhile, my legs feel very good right now.

I have been doing hang cleans as an explosive move, what a great lift. And the Rows have solidified my back. The good mornings are coming along, and I have been working on the Tivalis exercises for my ankles and I have been doing double leg calf lifts with little weight as a stretching movement.

I have not been running at all because of a stress fracutre in my ankle, but that will end next week and I will start working on some hill sprints and touch rugby.

James Evans
05-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Some good stuff here:

http://www.getstrength.com/articles.asp

Canterbury Crusaders have been the dominant side in the Super 12 (and now Super 14) competition. The final was contested by two South African sides this year though.

Randy Little
05-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Everything is going fine, I am going to start the running portion of the workouts this week.

James,

Check out the quote below, I think you will like it..

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson

Steve Shafley
09-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Just a quick note. I've done a 180 and come right back to thinking that maintaining an aerobic base is necessary for a rugby player, even in the off season.

I'm discussing rugby training with a few folks and this thread came up.

Pat McElhone
09-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Just a quick note. I've done a 180 and come right back to thinking that maintaining an aerobic base is necessary for a rugby player, even in the off season.

I'm discussing rugby training with a few folks and this thread came up.

Shaf,

Is this on the IGX board?

From IGx, you like longer (working up to 40min) runs to condition the joints/tendons/etc for the game. Then adding intervals in 1:1 work:rest ratio, working up to 40min to get the body used to the pace of the game. Any more to add to this?

I want to start playing rugby. There are a few clubs in my area. Where should I start? From the other thread, skillwise practice running and picking up a ball and passing and catching it both to the right and left. Also, I was going to work on my drop kicks. Should I be practicing these on my own, or just getting out and work with a club?

As for conditioning/strength, I am 37, weigh 185, lift 2-3days a week doing a pull (snatch and clean) and squat one day, a press (bench, military, etc) and hinge (KB swing, DLs) another. I do like to run, tempo about 20min. Should probably add some time and the intervals.

Any more advice? Thanks a lot.

Pat

Steve Shafley
09-12-2011, 08:55 AM
http://www.irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=218133

Pretty much reflects my current thought.

I'd get hooked up with a club for the ball skills acquisition. Basic ball skills, are in my mind:

short pop pass
long passes
(either side)
stripping the ball (from teammates in maul situation, or opposite team hung up in a maul facing you)
picking the ball up cleanly while at a full run

I was never a good kicker, but practicing drop kicks isn't going to hurt, neither is practicing your kicks for touch.

Playing rugby successfully is all about pain tolerance.

Conditioning.

Longer, moderately paced runs build the aerobic base and help condition the joints for running...this is much less important when you're young, but really, really important as you get older. At 37, if you don't have the ability to run for 30 minutes continuously, build this up. If you do, I'd say get 3 or so runs in a week for a few weeks just to make sure.

Fast/slow intervals would come next.

Concurrent with that, short non-running conditioning work can be done. Sled dragging and the prowler come to mind, as do some Crossfit style training, as long as you aren't compromising your recovery ability.

Pat McElhone
09-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks Shaf.

James Evans
09-13-2011, 02:48 AM
I was never a good kicker, but practicing drop kicks isn't going to hurt, neither is practicing your kicks for touch.

Somewhere in Australia Heffernan is rolling around laughing at the idea of you taking shots at goal.

I would put the heaviest emphasis on catching and passing. It's something that can look so simple but holds many players back.

Are you guys able to watch any of the World Cup?

Steve Shafley
09-13-2011, 05:44 AM
I should, but probably won't.

I drop kicked exactly 1 goal in my career. I tried 3 times.

I could punt for touch like a mofo, but didn't do it often given my preference for smash-mouth, bloody-knuckle play off the ruck.

One bit, Pat, that I can tell you. 99% of the time, it's better to run straight up field than laterally looking for openings. Even if you are a lithe, agile, pretty 165# winger.

Pat McElhone
09-13-2011, 05:54 AM
James,

Yeah, I have caught 2 games, NZ against Tonga and Ireland beating US. We are getting more and more rugby on TV, especially Sevens.

After watching it for about a year and "thinking" about playing it for 15years, it is time for me to get off my ass onto the pitch.

Shaf,

Thanks again.

Pat