PDA

View Full Version : Garrett sinuses and the end of the world!

Pierre Auge
04-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Garrett doc dude do I actually need sinuses for anything serious because I'm currently of the opinion that my life would be 100% better if I didn't have them at all..

They are inflammed 365 days per year and right now my allergies are worse then they've ever been in my life I feel like a head case.

Tell me having my sinuses surgically removed is a viable option! I'm not actually serious...

But any thoughts?

Steve Shafley
04-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Have you gone to an ENT lately? Preferably a progressive one. I know that might be an issue in Canada with the socialized medicine.

If they are that bad, then I would think that either there's something in your home or something in your workplace that's setting them off.

Are you originally from Ottawa? If not, perhaps its a gross reaction to the new pollen compared to your old home.

Garrett Smith
05-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Pierre,
With your history of building all sorts of things, along with your military work, and any other exposures known or unknown (amalgam fillings?), I'd first start with two things:

Toxic metal testing (I do this through my office, I can send them out as well).

Gluten sensitivity testing (which can be connected to heavy metal toxicity), which can be done on your own through www.enterolab.com (get the Stool Test for Gluten Sensitivity).

That's where I'd look first. Let me know if you need further help.

Pierre Auge
05-01-2007, 08:11 AM
OK lets assume I'm gluten sensitive I'm perfectly fine with that proposition!

Now the Toxic Metal testing is where I'm at a loss - I guess I will have to find a local lab that will test me for it....

I had never had allergies until I was posted to the prairies several years ago... Within 6 months of being there I was prescribed anti-inflamatories and told to suck it up. I've had it ever since...

I've done all sorts of work from high end communications to industrial mechanics (millwrighting) mil. , I've worked in printing houses and various other deals... I've been exposed to everything!

Lots of which I really regret being exposed too...

Dudes going to a lab for testing is out of the question that would mean having money, thats not exactly where I'm at these days!

Pierre Auge
05-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Garret,
how about this - lets assume I'm allergic to every known allergen on the planet: What am I consuming?

Make this easy on me --- Trust me dude I'll eat beef livers exclusively if thats what you tell me!

Garrett Smith
05-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Pierre,
PM me if you want to do any of these labs. If you can get in to see an ND on the health plan, they'd likely do the heavy metal test for you if you emphasize your past exposures (jobs).

First things first, and almost free, is to go absolutely gluten-free. No f-ing around. No cheating. And none of the "gluten-free" grains either (no rice, quinoa, etc.). No more than one piece of fruit a day.

IF would be a good suggestion for you now. If you were to do the 24-hour feed/fast cycle like I'm doing (feed all weekend), you'll have three days a week where your GI system is guaranteed no gluten or other irritants and it gets time to recover (along with improving your detoxification).

That's where I'd start.

Got any vitamin C?

Pierre Auge
05-01-2007, 12:10 PM
I can do the fasting no issues - wow surprised by the fruit thing but thats too easy... I hate grain in general but they do still tend to sneak in on a regular basis.. Ok this is going to take some planning it appears.

Need to read up on gluten containing foods so I can make sure I'm concise...

Garrett Smith
05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Definitely do that. It will be a PIA, and it will be worth it!

Really be strict!

Pierre Auge
05-02-2007, 02:40 PM
actually PIA is feeling like shit all the time... But I'll tell you this I always feel great during a fasting period. Been fasting all day and I feel good. I woke up all inflammed and pissed off but I've been good to go since about 08:00am... Did some light lifting this afternoon and like always fasting is a no brainer.

Actually it shouldn't be so bad I can basically exist off of eggs, chicken, beef olive oil, coconut milk and green veggies ala costco... thank goodness for being fat adapted!

Garrett Smith
05-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Pierre,
The sign that you feel better while fasting is a dead giveaway that you are eating something your body is intolerant to. Black box simple.

Pierre Auge
05-02-2007, 07:22 PM
yep can't argue that

Allen Yeh
05-03-2007, 03:17 AM
Pierre,
The sign that you feel better while fasting is a dead giveaway that you are eating something your body is intolerant to. Black box simple.

*cough* beer *cough*

Steve Shafley
05-03-2007, 05:10 AM
I'd endure a bit of stuffiness for good beer.

Garrett Smith
05-03-2007, 06:33 AM
There is gluten-free beer, too bad it costs like $2/bottle--that's not even in a bar!

Any brewmasters out there that want to go into the GF beer business with me?

Other thing is, I don't believe that there's any really good dark GF beers yet, I smell a market...

Pierre Auge
05-03-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm still stuffed up - it jus doesn't feel like my brain is going to start to leak out my nose... big improvement

Garrett Smith
05-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Keep it up, Pierre.

Horseradish can help loosen up stuff (and it's not a nightshade!), you can eat it or get the root to make a tea...

Yael Grauer
05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
I hate neti pots but have had good luck with this Nasaline irrigator.

http://www.natlallergy.com/product.asp?pn=1557&bhcd2=1178217790

http://www.nasalineusa.com/about.htm

Pierre Auge
05-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I like horseradish! what about wasabi?

ughhh neti pots

Brad Hirakawa
05-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Sorry to chime in late here...

I had surgery on my nose (septoplasty) several years ago to fix my crooked beak and repair some of the damage from getting it smashed so much in my teens. I was two hours early for the appointment to remove the plastic tubes-of-death that were sewn in. I saved everything that leaked from my nose during that time, in neutral buffered formalin. I even sectioned a few pieces of tissue, and stained them with hematoxylin and eosin. Makes pretty abstract art. Nose debris art. I can send pictures for all those interested.

Still, always problems with those two face holes.

Grain free diet definitely, without a doubt, helped me. Much less inflammation in the sinuses. Still that occasional seasonal gig, but not much else.

Just an anecdotal story, I know.

The gluten free beer made by Budweiser is nice, but it takes a six pack to break even a mild buz. :)

Brad

Pierre Auge
05-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Brad,
you are the weirdest dude ever - and a gross one!

Brad Hirakawa
05-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Pierre,

I ran a search at medline for the topic.. returned a few hits, but mostly related to inhaled grains, glutens and such. Not much about sinusitis, rhinitis, etc.. from ingested grains. Doesn't mean it can't happen though.. pubmed isn't the word of God (Robb Wolf is), and I didnít spend much time with the search. I should re-try from work, where references are much more plentiful than my home computer.

Brad

Brad Hirakawa
05-13-2007, 06:38 PM
"you are the weirdest dude ever"

pehaps in the top 100.. but these folks are weirder than I:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yWVZwLC6rEc&mode=related&search=

:)

Garrett Smith
05-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Pierre,
Most so-called "wasabi" in North America is food-colored horseradish anyway...

Elliot Royce
05-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Can I jump on this thread since it seems related? Tell me if I should post separately.

Never had any allergies in my life (that I was aware of). Starting around 3 months ago, I had a nasty head cold that migrated into my lungs. Cold fatigue went away but the lungs stayed congested and a bit inflamed. Also felt a bit stuffed up. Eventually saw a pulmonologist who tested me for asthma: I was borderline but not fully asthmatic. He prescribed advair and nasonex. Symptoms continued. Since then I've added alavert 12 for the day time and benadryl for night. Apart from being drier, I don't feel that things have improved much. I feel sluggish and tired plus still am dripping into my lungs cause my voice is often hoarse and I often have to cough to clear my throat/lungs. I'm going to see an allergist in two weeks.

This isn't life-threatening but the fatigue and the congestion/irritation is wearing. The allergist will have his approach but what do you guys suggest?

I've limited dairy but it hasn't seemed to matter. Is the allergic response in proportion to the amount of dairy? I mean, if I have milk in my coffee only, is that going to set off the allergies.

What should I do? This is getting annoying and sometimes I feel the medicine is worse than the symptoms.

Allison Barns
05-19-2007, 02:53 PM
The allergist will have his approach but what do you guys suggest?

I've limited dairy but it hasn't seemed to matter. Is the allergic response in proportion to the amount of dairy? I mean, if I have milk in my coffee only, is that going to set off the allergies.

What should I do? This is getting annoying and sometimes I feel the medicine is worse than the symptoms.

Elliot - The following is MHO based on being one who has more sinus trouble than should be inflicted on any one person in their lifetime.

The allergist will indeed have his opinion and will very likely discount food intolerances (as in possible dairy intolerances) as contributing to your problems. From what I know, that is just how their training goes. Do a test on yourself and eliminate ALL dairy (yes, even the milk in your coffee) for 2 weeks (or more). See how that goes. Consider going gluten-free as well. It may help more than you think. When I first went dairy and gluten-free, my 'cheats' quickly taught me to just say no. One bite was truly NOT worth the gut trouble and/or sinus infection that almost always followed.

Consider consulting a naturopathic doctor. This could help ALOT. Our "Resident New Age Quack" (A.K.A Dr. G) is a tremendously helpful resource.

Hope you feel better soon!

Pierre Auge
05-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Brad much appreciated - Garrett same to you and Alison as well. Thanks.

Garrett Smith
05-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Elliot,
Allergies do tend to have a dose-response relationship, as in the more you eat/drink, the worse they are.

That being said, the "start-up" symptoms from a small bit of non-tolerated food can be quite a lot. Dairy is one that takes a while (some say 3 weeks) to really clear your system so that a re-introduction will show a "true" picture of your body's response.