PDA

View Full Version : Caloric ceilings

Steve Shafley
05-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Is there any kind of caloric ceiling on any one meal?

I know this becomes less relevant when fasting, but I just calculated the last meal I ate and it was in the range of 1700 calories.

And, it wasn't paleo, either, amigo, nor low carb.

Garrett Smith
05-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Steve,
What do you mean by caloric ceiling?

From what I'm taking you to mean, I'd have to say that the caloric ceiling of someone doing IF is way over 1700 calories...

Chris Forbis
05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm polishing off a 1900 calorie (paleo and low carb) meal as we speak.

Robb Wolf
05-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Steve-
Like are there any deleterious effects? I have no idea. Large meals do seem to cause an up-tik in oxidative damage but the pulsatile nature of intermittent fasting should turn that into a hormetic effect...but its just a guess.

Steve Liberati
05-03-2007, 04:44 PM
And, it wasn't paleo, either, amigo, nor low carb.

Hey Esa you're not throwing down a dozen of tacos right now are you?

Pierre Auge
05-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Robb,
ever since you wrote that article on Hormesis you just love throwing that hormetic effect line around don't you!

Robb Wolf
05-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Robb,
ever since you wrote that article on Hormesis you just love throwing that hormetic effect line around don't you!
Dude...it's a chick magnet. It's what finally broke Nicki down.

Mike ODonnell
05-04-2007, 11:06 AM
1700 calories just sounds like a Large Frozen Pizza......ahhhh that's easy.....

Rene Renteria
05-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Doesn't Dr. Sears say somewhere that it doesn't matter what your food choices are past 5 blocks of protein, in terms of insulin response? That is, that you'll get a big insulin spike if you go over that. Anyway, that would be one effect (but you're getting that from the carbs already) and one way to decide how to measure a "caloric ceiling".

Another way would be to ask how much can your body use before it shunts real nutrients out to waste. T-Nation just published an article today on the limits of muscle-building during a "bulking" phase. It has some interesting numbers to help guide how much to eat for mass that might help define such a ceiling. Here's the link:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

(No, I'm not getting all my work done today. Why do you ask?)

Rene'
Edit--article was from 2006; it was linked to in the Roussell article posted today about "Top 3 Nutritional Mistakes".

Robb Wolf
05-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Shaf posted a great article on changing the amounts and timing of nutrient intake...big post wo meal with the lions share of protein at that time. Anyone remember that one?

Mike ODonnell
05-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Shaf posted a great article on changing the amounts and timing of nutrient intake...big post wo meal with the lions share of protein at that time. Anyone remember that one?

If it was the study about getting 75% of your daily protein PWO was just as if not more effective in muscle gain than spreading it equally through out the day....technically I believe it was Neil and about protein synthesis with meal timing....can't find it....but just proves more bang for buck in pwo which is a highly insulin sensitive time....so coming off a fast could also be similar to the pwo environment in which insulin sensitivity is increased....

Robb Wolf
05-05-2007, 12:00 PM
In the Low Carb Round Table over at T-bag poliquin said the most important element of muscle gain was insulin sensitivity...

Mike ODonnell
05-05-2007, 12:08 PM
said the most important element of muscle gain was insulin sensitivity...

Health....muscle...fat loss....all tied to one thing.....master that...and you can do miracles for clients....and make a crap load of $$ doing it!