PDA

View Full Version : Something better than Gatorade?

Cassi_Nesmith
05-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi
I am a big water drinker but need to balance my electrolytes in the hot weather due to a medication I take. Are there any better options than Gatorade?
I feel better when I drink it but it has sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup. I'm wondering if there are better options out there.

(Cross posted on the Crossfit forum)

Pierre Auge
05-07-2007, 02:58 PM
ice tea (sugar free)

Cassi_Nesmith
05-07-2007, 03:03 PM
is ice tea salty enough? it's not the flavor it's the electrolytes.

Garrett Smith
05-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Herbal teas.

Water plus fresh lemon juice plus stevia to taste. I use the juice of one lemon to 16 oz. of water and 15 drops of BED (www.bodyecology.com) stevia.

Both provide electrolytes, and the "lemonade" gives a little fruit sugar with it (but not too much).

Adding some proper sea salt (Celtic or Himalayan), a pinch will do, will add electrolytes to anything.

They work for me.

Yael Grauer
05-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Emergen-c

Robert Allison
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Like Garrett said, adding a pinch of a good natural salt to your water can help. There are also electrolyte solutions (like this one (http://www.traceminerals.com/products/endure.html)) that you can add to water.

There are probably some others out, that just happens to be one I am familar with. Good call on dumping the Gatorade, BTW

Garrett Smith
05-07-2007, 03:30 PM
"Sports water" or "Electro Mix" from the Emergen-C people is a good one.

I also have a calcium-magnesium-potassium carbonate + ascorbic acid powder that works well...I like to add it to my "lemonade" to make it even more potent with the minerals...

Pierre Auge
05-07-2007, 03:44 PM
sorry cassi I was having fun with you I really don't know

defer to Garrett

Cassi_Nesmith
05-07-2007, 06:16 PM
sorry cassi I was having fun with you I really don't know

defer to Garrett

I'm dense when I'm thirsty... that herbal tea trick is pretty delicious...

Garrett Smith
05-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Cassi,
To maximize the benefits of the herbal tea thing, you might try Googling your health condition to find out what herbs/spices are helpful for it, and utilizing that tea...then you get the electrolyte benefit and you help your health at the same time...just make sure to double-check as best you can to see if there are any interactions between the herb and the med that you're on.