PDA

View Full Version : Long wait for coeliac diagnosis

kevin mckay
05-07-2007, 05:18 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6623237.stm

Garrett Smith
05-07-2007, 05:42 PM
So-called "modern" celiac diagnosis technique are actually decades old, and some of the most prone to false-negatives of any medical test.

Testing the stool (www.enterolab.com) for gluten intolerance--imagine that, testing the area of the problem!--is a much better choice, even if it does have to come directly out of one's pocketbook.

kevin mckay
05-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Thats cool, you just fedex them a turd?
I think I may get tested.

Garrett Smith
05-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Kevin,
I think everyone is gluten intolerant, so I'm saving myself the $100 and going on my body's reactions to gluten. Avoidance and re-introduction of foods is the gold standard of "food sensitivity" testing.

Some people need to see the results in order to really steel their resolve, and I support them in that.

Do what you need to do, you'll benefit either way.

Robb Wolf
05-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Kevin,
I think everyone is gluten intolerant, so I'm saving myself the $100 and going on my body's reactions to gluten. Avoidance and re-introduction of foods is the gold standard of "food sensitivity" testing.

Some people need to see the results in order to really steel their resolve, and I support them in that.

Do what you need to do, you'll benefit either way.

Can not agree more.

Brian Shanks
07-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Any idea on how much this test costs?
Been looking around on the site and can't seem to find a cost.

Thanks

Bri

Garrett Smith
07-05-2007, 01:11 PM
On this page (https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/Frame_TestInfo.htm), in the Test Panels section, the price is listed after each test's name.

The Stool Test for Gluten Sensitivity is $100. That's the basic one, you can upgrade as you like.

Brian Shanks
07-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks Dr Garrett!
Tis probably the one page I didn't look at.
I am thinking of ordering this for my wife since our doc thinks she might have an auto immune problem.

Thanks again

Bri

Garrett Smith
07-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Absolutely get it, Brian.

You may also want to look into toxicity. I've found no one with an autoimmune condition that wasn't also high on toxic metals (and likely solvents, I just haven't figured out a cost-effective way to test for those yet). I can help you with this part if you'd like--your MD likely won't be familiar with it and/or will only run blood tests (unless acutely toxic, blood tests for metals are as worthless as celiac tests in the blood).

Robb Wolf
07-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I was negative on both blood tests, positive via scope (ouch).

Gold standard, as Garrett pointed out: Remove gluten and feel better? that's all you need to know...and possibly all you might want floating around in your medical records...

The home Dx kits do not pose this problem...I'd be selective as to whom you reveal the results however.

Garrett Smith
07-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Robb is totally right.

Any medical stuff one has done that they pay cash for, may or may not need to be reported to places like health insurance...

Keep your stuff private. Funny thing, I'm watching V for Vendetta in the background right now...

Robb Wolf
07-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Robb is totally right.

Any medical stuff one has done that they pay cash for, may or may not need to be reported to places like health insurance...

Keep your stuff private. Funny thing, I'm watching V for Vendetta in the background right now...

Great movie...little Ms. Portman is quite yummy also.

Frank Needham
07-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Actually the way stool samples are handled nowadays is quite novel, at least I think so. After having my annual physical and all the associated bloodwork the pathology lab gave me a little packet to take home for the "dirty deed". uh, all you do is dab this little brush in it, dot this little card that has a folding flap on it with a sample , put a provided cover seal on it, slip it in an envelope and, off the little bugger(s) go to be anal--yzed. How would you like to work in the lab that was the recipient of all those little cards?! I'll bet it's in somebody's house? Maybe a third world country? lol! oh, and if you didn't notice, I could care less who knows what about me. If someone wants to find out they can do it without you knowing they ever did.

Neal Winkler
07-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Great movie...little Ms. Portman is quite yummy also.

Robb, I probably can't beat you up, but I'm warning you - BACK OFF!!!! :mad:

Jared Buffie
07-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Garrett,

How are you testing for metal toxicity? With our patients we've been doing it with a 24hr urine challenge test involving chelating with DMSA. Some of the results we've been getting have been crazy.

Sorry, a little off the topic.

Garrett Smith
07-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Jared,
I'm doing the Doctor's Data 6 hour DMSA challenge.

The results are completely crazy. That's not even looking for solvents (which can be pretty much assumed, according to www.ewg.org).

Just had a guy who had worked 15 years in the Saudi oil fields come up off the charts in both mercury and lead, with elevated cadmium as well. This stuff is serious...just tested my wife (waiting for the results) and my test will be soon.

Robb Wolf
07-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Robb, I probably can't beat you up, but I'm warning you - BACK OFF!!!! :mad:

"The two wiry, under-weight geeks circled each other warily...they knew the stakes...Natalie Portman...or DEATH..."

Nicki will so kick my ass if she sees this.

Scott Kustes
07-08-2007, 11:46 AM
"The two wiry, under-weight geeks circled each other warily...they knew the stakes...Natalie Portman...or DEATH..."

Nicki will so kick my ass if she sees this.
*Forwards to Nicki*

Neal, Nicki will now take care of kicking Robb's ass. Ms. Portman is all yours. Just remember who hooked this up for you and, in the immortal words of Sir Snoop Dogg, "it ain't no fun if the homies can't have none."

Allen Yeh
07-09-2007, 05:43 AM
Funny thing, I'm watching V for Vendetta in the background right now...

Remember, remember the 5th of November. The gunpowder, treason, and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot. -V

Great movie.

Neal Winkler
07-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Robb, FOR NOW, let us be at peace with eachother, so that we may join forces against another uber-nerd. The evil.... ANDY SAMBERG! He is all that stands between us and Ms. Portman.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/columnpic/bridge20.jpg

P.S. My girlfriend doesn't read the PM. +1 for Neal, -1 for Robb.

Mike ODonnell
07-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Robb, FOR NOW, let us be at peace with eachother, so that we may join forces against another uber-nerd. The evil.... ANDY SAMBERG! He is all that stands between us and Ms. Portman.

That and Jar Jar Binks.....that annoying bastard.....

Brad Hirakawa
07-10-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm thinking of a nice Paleo-meal.. main course, roasted Jar Jar.

TMI.. but... I have studied lots of poop in my days at the lab. You would be amazed what we can assay from poopie tubes.

Brad