PDA

View Full Version : nee has started making lots of "rice crispy" noises

kevin mckay
05-07-2007, 07:36 PM
My right knee has started making lots of "rice crispy" noises during squats and stairs but there is no pain is this safe to ignore?

Rick Deckart
05-08-2007, 12:51 AM
There are lots of structures in the knee which can and will make noises, sometimes horrible sounds, without any harm. There are of course also conditions where the noise should be of concern, for example if you have arthrosis. As long as I can remember my left knee made horrible noises but it did never hurt. That changed when I partly ruptured my ACL. But that is a different story. Some years later this noisy knee decided to bloc during some trekking tour in the swiss alpes. I had to limp two hours to my car, downhill in rough terrain with a knee I could not bent, and I thought that the knee was completely wrecked... I got it scoped and it turned out that there was absolutely no arthrosis (what the doctor suspected after hearing the sound of it) and nothing serious besides the ACL going on. Learning how to squat improved all conditions (noise and pain) remarkably well.

The takehome message is that noise can be a sign that something is wrong and it may be wise to let a doc check it. It is however more often than not (I suspect) not really serious. You should ask yourself:
When did it start? Is it angle dependant, in other words if you change the angle of your foot, turning it more in or out, during squats etc. does that have an effect on the noise? Is it more pronounced when the knee is cold, compared to after a workout? Things like that...

kevin mckay
05-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks, great info.

Mike ODonnell
05-08-2007, 08:46 AM
just add milk and enjoy....

But seriously...I find when I have too many carbs or sugar...my knee pops and has some pain....I get my diet right...it goes away...inflammation issue for me....also both my shoulders snap and pop as the day is long....no pain (now) or limitations....past injuries.....but some movements like too many dips will piss them off pretty good....

Dave Van Skike
05-08-2007, 09:53 AM
My right knee has started making lots of "rice crispy" noises during squats and stairs but there is no pain is this safe to ignore?

Nothing in the knee is safe to ignore esp. changes like new noises, sudden pain, dull onset of pain at specific angles. Get it checked.

That said my knees are f'ed up but I'm really careful with them, the pop and snap all the time but no pain.

Paul Kayley
05-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a case of Crepitus - a medical term to describe the grating, crackling or popping sounds and sensations experienced under the skin and joints. Something is not right. You should go to a physio and get it sorted. The crepitus will be as a result of a small injury and/or inflammation.

Rick Deckart
05-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Just to state this again, joint noises can be a sign that something is not right, especially if accompanied by pain, but they can be completely harmless too, especially if not accompanied by pain. Most of my bigger joints make noises since I can remember but only a few select were painfull at some time. Infact after a scope for my left knee I mentioned above the doc could only state three things: a) that the ACL was partyl ruptured some time oagand that the capsule ripped at that occassion too, b) that surgery would not improve the condition and infact sport was in order and c) that he could not explain what exactly was the source of the noise. To quote him: "A joint can make a lot of noise but it is mostly completely harmless [as long as it is not painfull] and often not possible to evaluate exactly what causes the noise..." or something like that...

kevin mckay
05-20-2007, 02:21 PM
I had my buddy who is a doc check she said it seems fine, and the noises have been subsiding.

Thanks