Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Out Front (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037)

Derek Simonds 05-18-2007 02:16 PM

Out Front

I just got my new Do-Wins and they rock. They definitely are a much more solid platform to lift from.

It is weird as I have never used lifting shoes before and now I feel like I am way forward on my toes because of the heel. While snatching I actually missed a couple of lifts forward, nothing serious just I wasn't as vertical as normal.

Once I got used to them I did ok, I still didn't feel exactly normal just a little different center of balance if that makes any sense.

Did anyone else have a learning curve when they went to lifting shoes?

Dave Van Skike 05-18-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 12148)
I just got my new Do-Wins and they rock. They definitely are a much more solid platform to lift from.

It is weird as I have never used lifting shoes before and now I feel like I am way forward on my toes because of the heel. While snatching I actually missed a couple of lifts forward, nothing serious just I wasn't as vertical as normal.

Once I got used to them I did ok, I still didn't feel exactly normal just a little different center of balance if that makes any sense.

Did anyone else have a learning curve when they went to lifting shoes?

I bought some just for squats intiially, I had three of four workouts in a row where I had a really hard time keeping my weight back, even for stuff like KB snatches. Also was sore as hell in the quads.

In the end I switched up my stance and feel alot more natural in them now. I even deadlift in them except for max attempts.

Greg Everett 05-18-2007 10:29 PM

the extra high do-win heel will take some gettiung used to. i was on my toes and losing a lot of snatches out front initially, but now i wouldn't go back to adidas.

Don Stevenson 05-19-2007 04:51 AM

I had all sorts of funny aches and pains in my knees and hips when i changed form flats to Adidas O lifting shoes and then had a recurrence of the knee aches when i added a 1/4" to the heel of the shoes.

You'll get used to it and in the end it will be worth it.

Derek Simonds 05-19-2007 07:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. Training alone in the garage at 5 AM makes getting quality feedback tough.

So Mr. squat rack was that me, did I just leave that snatch hanging out front on the third pull / dive under the bar? Yeah thats what I thought, thanks for helping me out.

-Ross Hunt 05-19-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 12178)
Thanks for the replies. Training alone in the garage at 5 AM makes getting quality feedback tough.

So Mr. squat rack was that me, did I just leave that snatch hanging out front on the third pull / dive under the bar? Yeah thats what I thought, thanks for helping me out.

Clearly, the solution is start the snatch with the barbell a couple inches from the nearest wall. Instant feedback.

-Ross Hunt 05-19-2007 10:39 AM

If you try this technique out, be sure to run video so that we can provide constructive criticism.;)

Derek Simonds 05-19-2007 11:09 AM

Ok! I have seen Shaf's wall squats no wall snatches yet I guess I will be the first. :D