Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Paleo Diet (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Paleo Recipe - Chili (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111)

thomas beasley 10-22-2006 06:24 PM

Paleo Recipe - Chili

I thought I would submit a paleo friendly recipe for a traditional chili.

Ingredients:
5 lb Grass Fed Beef Shoulder
3 Cups Water
1 15oz can Crushed Tomatoes (drained and rinsed)
1 7 oz can El Pato - Tomato Sauce
1 7 oz can El Pato - Salsa de Fresca
1 4 oz can Green Chilies
1 Green Pepper
1 Red Pepper
1 Large Onion

Spices
2 TSP Ground Cummin
2 TSP Coca Powder
1.5 TSP Chipolte Chile Powder
1.5 TSP Ground Nutmeg
1 TSP Ancho Chile Powder
1 TSP Chile Powder
1/2 TSP Ground Mustard
1/2 TSP Ground Cinnamon
1/2 TSP Ground Cloves
1 Bay Leaf
Sea Salt
Pepper

Preheat pot with medium heat. Cut into strips and cubes, and then season the beef with sea salt and pepper. Brown the meat, 4 to 5 minutes. Cut and add the onions, green and red peppers; cook for another 5 minutes. Next add water and bay leaf. Cover and let simmer for 1 hour.

After one hour add in all remaining ingredients and spices. Cover and simmer for an hour and a half. If you want to thicken the consistency just remove the lid, increase heat, and bring to a boil until desired consistency is reached.

Blocks= Pretty Tasty

Notes: I used a grass fed beef shoulder. You could use what ever cut and kind of meat, I only used it because it was the first cut I came across in the bottom of the freezer. With the onion and peppers I cut them right over the pot and did not worry about using a second chopping board. Also I wouldn't worry about going out and buying the Ancho and Chipolte Chile Powder if you don't have them, it just happened to be in the spice rack. Dried chiles would work just as well if not better and probably be cheaper. Lastly I would have rather used fresh tomatoes from the garden but the first freeze was rather unexpected last week and killed off the ones I would have used.

Yael Grauer 10-23-2006 01:49 PM

Thanks for posting this! I have an amazing non-Paleo chili recipe I've been meaning to tweak--was having trouble with it because it has three different types of beans and corn maza dumplings, but this gave me some good food for thought. I absolutely disagree that there is any substitute for chipotle, though. Chipotle peppers and chiltepines from the garden, or nothing!

Brad Hirakawa 10-26-2006 01:59 PM

Keep em coming, sounds great!

Jeremy Jones 10-26-2006 03:38 PM

My wifey has been making an amazing chilli the last few weeks or so. It isn't paleo, but she is into experimenting.

I have to ask. . .

"2 TSP Coca Powder. . .
1.5 TSP Ground Nutmeg. . .
1/2 TSP Ground Cinnamon. . .
1/2 TSP Ground Cloves. . ."

How often are these found in Chilli? That is crazy weird, but it sounds good for some reason.:D

Scott Kustes 10-27-2006 10:29 AM

You'll often find them in good chili. Some winners at chili cookoffs use chocolate too.

Jeremy Jones 10-27-2006 11:58 AM

The "Double Secret" ingredient!

I always thought that if I was on "Iron Chef" I would just make everything with chocolate. I would be a shoe in!

and if you don't like chocolate. . . then you can go to hell.

Brad Hirakawa 10-27-2006 12:34 PM

"But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell because they did not enjoyeth chocolate."

Proverbs (ch. IX, v. 18)

Yael Grauer 10-27-2006 01:19 PM

Did someone say chocolate?!?!?!?!?! Chocolate is my Kryptonite!

I like throwing a beer in the chili pot, too. It really does help the flavor.

Jeremy Jones 10-27-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yael Grauer (Post 528)
Did someone say chocolate?!?!?!?!?! Chocolate is my Kryptonite!

I like throwing a beer in the chili pot, too. It really does help the flavor.

Beer and Chocolate. . . a girl after my own heart.:D

Dan Silver 10-27-2006 05:38 PM

Get a room, Jones.