Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Supplements (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Post workout Drink? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116)

Sam Lepore 10-23-2006 02:05 PM

Post workout Drink?

Hey guys--

I hear so many different theories on this topic.

for years I have been taking a whey protein drink with Creatine post workout. It has about 50-60 grams of sugars to create the insulin spike needed to get the nutrients into the blood stream/system FAST.

1-1.5 hours later I am eating a favorable zone meal.

Well-- we all know the Zone and any diet for that matter hates Sugar.

What should I do for a Post-workout drink. I honestly believe we need something post-workout after researching this for years. Muscles crave the nutrients within 1 hour of training.

Thoughts? Help?

Greg Everett 10-23-2006 04:36 PM

A common way to go is a pure protein supplement (whey or egg) and grape juice. You can also use maltodextrin, but I'm not sure of the health implications of that route. Basic rule--find supplements with as few ingredients as possible.

By separating the protein and carbs, you can control how much of each you take dependent on the training they follow--if you use a combined supplement, you're stuck with whatever ratio the company decided was good.

Scott Kustes 10-24-2006 08:54 AM

I think it also depends on the goals. I think Greg or Robb has said that for mass gain, a PWO drink may be needed. However, for my goals of general athleticism, health, and low BF%, I've had much more success with no PWO drink and a Paleo meal about an hour later (give or take depending on hunger level). I noticed a nice decrease in abdominal fat once I dropped the PWO shake, which was made with low-carb protein powder, fruit, yogurt, coconut oil and walnuts (I know...no fat in PWO shakes).

Edit: I think Greg nailed it in the "PWO Nutrition" thread. PWO nutrition is about performance, not health. Elevated insulin is probably not a good thing in any aspect.

Allen Yeh 10-24-2006 11:46 AM

Currently This is what my PWO drink consists of:

1.5 scoops of All the Whey protein powder blend = ~30 grams protein
1 scoop of powdered gatorade = ~60 grams of carbohydrates
1 spoon of creatine = ~5-10 grams

On days where it's mostly lifting as opposed to a met con I'll drink the shake throughout the session. I can't drink or eat before/during a metcon workout though it definitely causes nausea.

I used to do the protein+grape juice thing all the time and that works great but it was kind of a hassle always transporting a seperate bottle for the grape juice with me that is the only con of that method IMO.

Sam Lepore 10-24-2006 01:37 PM

Thanks guys--

Allen-- Do you find that the PWO's add fat to you at all?

I am just going to have to experiment and try not using one for a while.

Allen Yeh 10-25-2006 04:57 AM

Sam,

No I never have, I've found for me it's more my daily/weekly eating to be a factor than anything else. I've been able to get down to 8% while still taking in a PW shake.

Robb Wolf 10-25-2006 03:38 PM

In the past that has been a guarantee of fat gain right around the belly for me. Many swear by it...did not work so well for me. I have had success with the fat/protein shake (protein/coconut oil or nut butter). But then again, I'm NOT heeeeyuge.

Ken Urakawa 10-26-2006 02:30 PM

Hey Allen, I was looking at All the Whey yesterday based on an old post of yours on the CF boards--any flavor advice?

Allen Yeh 10-27-2006 03:57 AM

Ken,

Banana -Never tried
Chocolate -I get this one regularly, great for the whey + (insert any nut butter) shake!
ChocolateMint -Never Tried
ChocolateOrange -Never tried but I can't imagine that it's any good
Pineapple -Never tried
Orange -A friend of mine tried this and he said it was ok at first but the flavor gets old very fast and it's hard to mix with different things.
Strawberry -One of my favorites as well
Vanilla - Favorite overall as I can usually mix this for anything
UnFlavored -I have never bought it but I have heard the unflavored is like pure evil in powder form, so I stay away from it.

NEW* Peanut Butter
or Cinnamon Bun

Ken Urakawa 10-27-2006 07:07 AM

pure evil....I think I tried that at GNC.

Thanks for the breakdown.