Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Intro (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1606)

Keith Gallick 09-18-2007 09:01 AM

Intro

Hi guys, new here so thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 38 year old male 6'3" and 245lbs at around 14% bodyfat. I'd like to get down to 8% by Christmas. I'd like some opinions on my nutrition.

I've set up my diet as follows: 4 meals per day each consisting of 50g protein, from meat /eggs/fish, 50g fat from before mentioned foods/olive oil/nuts/fish oil and about 250g veggies. I also have a couple of pieces of fruit during the day.

Training wise, I have rugby sessions on Tue and Thu which are pretty tough and a match on Sat. I do low(ish) volume full body weights on Sun and Wed.

Do you feel that 8% is doable given this plan?

Cheers,

Keith

Allen Yeh 09-18-2007 02:33 PM

Sounds like a good set of nutritional guidelines. The only thing that I'd be wary of is adequate nutrition for recovery from your rugby sessions and matches. That's going to be a take it as it comes process if you feel like death after a week and your sleep and everything else is good then you might have to up your food a bit.

With that many practices I'd say the only thing else to to look at what you do on the 2 days you have availible to train. What do you currently do those 2 days?

Will you be playing rugby up until Christmas?

Keith Gallick 09-18-2007 03:11 PM

Thanks for the reply Allen. I'm a bit concerned about recovery too, but the nutritional guidelines are obviously a starting point.
The 'other' two days are off days, although I do stretch and do mobility work on a daily basis.

Keith

Allen Yeh 09-18-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Gallick (Post 19967)
Thanks for the reply Allen. I'm a bit concerned about recovery too, but the nutritional guidelines are obviously a starting point.
The 'other' two days are off days, although I do stretch and do mobility work on a daily basis.

Keith

I meant your 2 full body training days.

Keith Gallick 09-21-2007 05:56 AM

Weights sessions are geared towards maintaining the strength qualities and muscle developed during the off season. Sunday is typically a higher rep, muscle maintenance day, something like:

step ups
incline db bench
incline db rows
face pulls
neck ext with harness
neck flex with harness

all for 2 sets of 8-12 reps.
Wednesday is more of an explosive strength/maximal strength maintenance day. Typically:

hang cleans
front squats
chins
presses
shrugs
ext rot

The cleans are done for 3x3, squats, chins, presses are 2x5, shrugs and ext rotation 2x8-12.

If I feel my conditioning is droping I'l add in some complex work on Wed, usually for 5 or 6 rounds.

Keith

Allen Yeh 09-21-2007 06:56 AM

Nice looking program.

Keith Gallick 09-21-2007 10:20 AM

I live in the UK so I'll be playing right through until April. Something like 30-35 matches depending on how the cup competitions go.

Keith

Garrett Smith 09-21-2007 06:11 PM

Speaking of rugby, where did James Evans go?

chris hill 09-24-2007 06:48 AM

Keith,

What league do you play in? Which position do you play?

Also, is 8% bodyfat quite low of a rugby player? I appreciate the old days of fat old men playing rugby are past but you do not see too many lean players.

Keith Gallick 09-24-2007 07:35 AM

Hi Chris, I coach the team I play for. I live in Northern Ireland and we play in qualifying section 2 of the kukri league. It's a pretty good standard, just 1 league below senior rugby.
I play number 8, and when I played at top level I played at 260-265lbs carrying aroung 8% bodyfat. Now I'm 'getting on' in years I can't carry so much muscle and comfortably play, so I figured coming down to the lower bodyfat at around 225-230lbs is a good compromise.

Keith