Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Combat Sports (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   who would you train with? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163)

Yael Grauer 11-05-2006 03:46 PM

who would you train with?

If you could train with anybody, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

Greg Everett 11-06-2006 12:56 PM

richard simmons, no question.

Robb Wolf 11-06-2006 02:03 PM

Matt Thornton, the Militich crew...hmmm I think Sakuraba for sure. That guy fought with cahones!

Scott Kustes 11-06-2006 02:44 PM

The one and only Robb Wolf! Ok, seriously (sorry Robb), any of these guys or maybe Charlie Francis (I love sprinting!).

John Vernon 11-06-2006 03:41 PM

Sakuraba late '90's early '00', Bas Rutten to work on my "danga da danga da dang" skills, Genki Sudo to practice my entrances, Chute Boxe - Brazil, SBGi, and most importantly grappling with Robb Wolf and Greg Everett in the middle of the afternoon in the summer in Chico with no A/C and a fart as the only calming breeze...those were the days.

Jeremy Jones 11-06-2006 03:44 PM

I recently got to train with one of Sakuraba's old coaches (Yoshiaki Fujiwara). That was frick'n sweeeet (and painful).

THE Bruce Lee.

Chuck Norris. . . no, seriously!

Musashi.

Al Tracy.

Dan John, and any one of Dan John's favorite coaches.

Come to think of it. . . There is just too many to list! I also know that there are coaches out there that have forgotten more than I will ever learn. I may not know their names or their accolades, but I every day I hope for an opportunity to learn from them (or their contributions).

Brad Hirakawa 11-06-2006 05:08 PM

Richard Simmons... LMAO!!!

Sorry to be a copy cat Jeremy.. but we share similar wish lists:

Bruce Lee, my hero since birth

Muhammad Ali, everyone's hero

Jack Breckenridge, best shooting coach in San Diego who has been known to hit his students with a boken on occasion :)

Miyamoto Musashi because this guy walked around with a wooden sword and beat youngsters wielding steel blades (so the legend goes anyway)

Any coach at Gunsite, because Cooper set up a great school

Gabe Suarez, because although many dislike him, I got along with him very well and learned A LOT

Mark Swain because I regret never studying judo and it looks fun.. were I much younger!

and of course Dan John.. everyone should have Dan on their list. :)

Brad

Yael Grauer 11-06-2006 11:02 PM

I have too many to list, too. People that haven't been mentioned yet...Burt Richardson is definitely up there somewhere, I've trained (briefly) with some of his students so I see what type of fighters he puts out. :eek: Vanessa Herbst is probably one of the baddest women warriors out there, I would love to train with her. Dwight Woods, Richard Bustilio, Chris Kent, the late Ted Lucay Lucay... Locally I would *love love love* to train with Dayton Larsh one of these days. Of course nobody could beat my current coaches, who rock my world... and I'd love to train with my very first teacher again, too.

Robb Wolf 11-07-2006 12:55 PM

Johny-
those were horrible, wretched times...let go...

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Vernon (Post 835)
Sakuraba late '90's early '00', Bas Rutten to work on my "danga da danga da dang" skills, Genki Sudo to practice my entrances, Chute Boxe - Brazil, SBGi, and most importantly grappling with Robb Wolf and Greg Everett in the middle of the afternoon in the summer in Chico with no A/C and a fart as the only calming breeze...those were the days.

Greg Everett 11-07-2006 01:50 PM

yes, particularly when the blender failed to wash his rash guard for weeks...