Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Nutrition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Ending the Fast (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1651)

Troy Archie 09-30-2007 11:10 AM

Ending the Fast

I've been thinking lately: If I fasted for about 20 hours and then drank a liter of olive oil, what would happen?

Stomach problems aside, you'd have no/little insulin in your blood stream from the fast plus there'd be no insulin spike from the oil. The calories would go to feed you but you'd theoretically gain no fat correct?

This makes me think about fasting for about 18h, putting down a bunch of olive oil, protein(eggs, chicken, tuna), coffee, no carbs and going for a strength session...finish the session off with some carbs and protein and no fat...

Speculations?

Frank Needham 09-30-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Archie (Post 20449)
I've been thinking lately: If I fasted for about 20 hours and then drank a liter of olive oil, what would happen?

Stomach problems aside, you'd have no/little insulin in your blood stream from the fast plus there'd be no insulin spike from the oil.

Troy, stay close to the men's room. I don't know if I want to ask to kept up with the outcome on this one? lol..

Jordan Glasser 09-30-2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Stomach problems aside, you'd have no/little insulin in your blood stream from the fast plus there'd be no insulin spike from the oil. The calories would go to feed you but you'd theoretically gain no fat correct?

This makes me think about fasting for about 18h, putting down a bunch of olive oil, protein(eggs, chicken, tuna), coffee, no carbs and going for a strength session...finish the session off with some carbs and protein and no fat...

Speculations?

Curious about your strategy? I find that the only time I'm looking for carbs is
around a workout. Some before, a lot after. It's the times where there is no need for that fuel that I stay carb free.

Having said that, with the advice of others from this site, I've been doing something pretty similar to what you talked about. Staying insulin free most of the time. fat and protein for most of my calories. I believe it's been the best combination thus far. I am however extremely diligent about getting PWO carbs when I follow this eating protocol. And getting carbs in my following meal is also a must. To answer whether or not your approach could lead to fat storage, the experts will say for sure, but, no insulin shouldn't promote fat storage.

Try it, I think you'll like the way it works. The only thing that maybe tough is a stomach full of meat and oils sitting through a workout.

Troy Archie 09-30-2007 12:25 PM

Right now I'm keeping my meal to protein/fat/veggies and protein/carbs/veggies. The carbs meal I have PWO via squash. All this while fasting on a day on/off schedual. I fast on my off days and eat on my training days.

My revised plan would be to fast about 18h, have a meal consisting only of fat and protein (no veggies), oly lift and then have a protein/carbs/veggies meal. Any missed out calories would be made up for on the off days where I would still fast but revert back to my current meal plans.

Troy Archie 10-01-2007 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidi Anschultz (Post 20454)
You would overload your liver (which is the organ that metabolizes fatty acids), and likely gain much body fat.

I assume this would happen because of the quantity involved, right?
1 liter was my clinical curiosity. What about 1 TBSP, 1/4cup, 1/2 cup...

Realized that I finished a 20h fast the other day with 1/2 cup olive oil, ton of protein and 1lbs of veggies. No stomach problems or anything. Felt even kinda light afterwards...

Scott Kustes 10-01-2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidi Anschultz (Post 20454)
You would overload your liver (which is the organ that metabolizes fatty acids), and likely gain much body fat.

Trust me, it is a bad idea to consume much oil just by itself. I've tried this with 8 tablespoons of coconut oil (approx. 800 calories) and only resulted in an almost allergic reaction to it, along with undesirable fat gain that stayed on my body for a full day and a half, signifying it took that long to recuperate from the overload of oil I had induced on my system/liver.

Along with giving me an extreme euphoria for about 10-20 minutes after the oil's consumption, I started breathing very rapidly for hours afterward, and had an extremely difficult time at trying to fall asleep that night. The memory of this experience is not a nice one, as you will probably experience yourself if you want to try consuming any large volume of oil.

Good luck to you.

Heidi, I wonder if part of your experience was that you used coconut oil. The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil are rapidly absorbed through the stomach and used for energy. When I eat a lot of coconut milk, I get an energy rush and feel warmer from the increase in metabolism. It could be that 8 tbsp of olive oil wouldn't affect one in the same way. Although I'm not interested in trying it.

Greg Battaglia 10-01-2007 11:11 AM

In addition to what Scott said, coconut oil is said be a metabolic enhancer, which might explain the rapid breathing. Was there a rapid heart rate along with the breathing? If so this might be it. Any sweating?

Jordan Glasser 10-01-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Speculations?

I ate this way, not on purpose, before a workout. Finished a 19 hour fast, ate a chunk of turkey and drank some olive oil. The workout was more of a strength/metcon style workout. Didn't feel like I had that boost I was looking for. I'll have to try that same workout again, with a little carbs in my pre-workout meal. I know you were referencing a strength workout. I'll test in for a metcon as well.