Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Double-Checking (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1737)

Patrick Donnelly 10-29-2007 02:22 PM

Double-Checking

- Eat a small snack pre-workout meal (breaking a 16 hour intermittent fast), made of mostly protein and some fat.
- Eat a post-workout meal 1-2 hours after finishing, with ~75% of your daily carbohydrates in it using high-GI fruit. The rest of the carbohydrates in the day should be vegetables/nuts. No fat in the post-workout meal.
- Eat a crapload of fat for your extra calories, as long as it does not make you crap a load. A few tablespoons of olive oil between meals will do it.
- Gain at a rate of ~1 pound a week.
- Eat clean. (Damn you, Halloween temptations! )
- 8+ hours of sleep each night.

Is there anything I'm completely wrong on or anything very important I omitted?

Eric Jones 10-29-2007 05:19 PM

- EAT

- EAT

- EAT

yup, you got it!

Derek Simonds 10-29-2007 05:30 PM

Looks really good. The only thing I would change would be to compress the pre workout meal to within the hour I try and eat within 30 minutes. Don't know if it makes that big of a difference but I have read several studies on under 30 minutes so I go with it.

Eric hit on the head eat, eat and more eating. Good Luck!

Mark Joseph Limbaga 10-30-2007 12:54 AM

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- EAT

- EAT

- EAT

yup, you got it!
you for got to put at the end... and eat some more :D

Allen Yeh 10-30-2007 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly (Post 21477)
- Eat a post-workout meal 1-2 hours after finishing, with ~75% of your daily carbohydrates in it using high-GI fruit. The rest of the carbohydrates in the day should be vegetables/nuts. No fat in the post-workout meal.

At the nutrition seminar Greg mentioned that you do not want fructose as part of your post workout meal. Fructose will not replenish muscle glycogen, rather it goes to replacing liver glycogen first.

Allen Yeh 10-30-2007 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly (Post 21477)
- Eat a crapload of fat for your extra calories, as long as it does not make you crap a load. A few tablespoons of olive oil between meals will do it.

Avocados, macadamia nuts and walnuts are good inbetween meal snacks.

Derek Simonds 10-30-2007 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Yeh (Post 21508)
At the nutrition seminar Greg mentioned that you do not want fructose as part of your post workout meal. Fructose will not replenish muscle glycogen, rather it goes to replacing liver glycogen first.

Man there goes my PWO banana. I have been trying to cut out the fruit during the day and only eat it PWO.

Allen Yeh 10-30-2007 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 21513)
Man there goes my PWO banana. I have been trying to cut out the fruit during the day and only eat it PWO.

That's what you get for trying to duck out early and go spend time with the family!

He didn't say avoid fruit, just it's not ideal for postworkout.

Patrick Donnelly 10-30-2007 09:22 AM

If you can't use fruit, and veggies are almost 0 carbohydrates, then what do you use for PWO?

Also, Halloween is killing me now; I can't wait until it's past. Last year, before I actually cared about what I ate, I got 16 pounds of candy... Gained 20 pounds over the two months it took me to eat it. It was great. However, it was probably half fat, and if I even tried the same now, the sugar would make me feel like crap.

Mike ODonnell 10-30-2007 10:04 AM

Fruits have varied amounts of fructose....but then again this is all assuming you need the pwo spike. Bodybuilding protocols would say a mix of maltodextrin and dextrose 50/50 with a 4:1 ratio of sugar to protein. I think a pwo is good after a glycogen draining longer workout and you need quicker recovery. I think it is overrated for building muscle and really just some BCAAs will do the job. Muscle builds all day long....not just the 1-2 hours after. A more important factor is not the accelerated building of muscle but the sparing of muscle from the affects of elevated cortisol....so take your fish oil too!!