Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Olympic Lifting Bar - Mid range (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1775)

Paul Findley 11-06-2007 10:14 AM

Olympic Lifting Bar - Mid range

Looking at upgrading my bar:

These seem comparable:

York Men's Training (bushing) $445
Chapman (needle bearing) $429
Pendlay (bushing) $359

Looks like Chapman is no longer selling direct? Found him through BS olympic gym. I would have preferred a direct purchase, don't want center knurling.

I would like to keep it under $500, so the competition york is out at $650.
Not sure I like the low end York Needle bearing at $210, thick chrome.

Any other thoughts or considerations?

Derek Simonds 11-06-2007 10:48 AM

I love my Pendlay.

I don't lift anywhere near the weights it can handle, but the feel and the knurling are fantastic.

I have also never used a comp bar so can't compare.

Paul Findley 11-06-2007 12:17 PM

Thanks Derkek, I have an early Pendlay crossfit bar, it has a cross-over PL/OL knurl that is too aggro. I may file it, but that got be thinking about an upgrade.

John Seiler 11-06-2007 12:49 PM

I bought two of the CrossFit bars from Glenn. When I first got them the knurling was a bit aggressive for my tastes. Glenn told me he would be happy to take them down a little if sent them back. He also said he would work with me to get the knurling I wanted if I bought some new ones. Remember, he's making these bars himself so he can do that pretty easily. Give him a call; super nice guy.

Paul Findley 11-06-2007 01:07 PM

I have been emailing him about how to knock it down, not worth my shipping expense. Still interested in feedback on the 3 bars I mentioned above.

Jordan Glasser 11-06-2007 03:02 PM

I lift a couple of times a week with an eleiko training bar. Once every couple of months I head down to Seattle where they are stocked with pendlay bars, and dare I say, I like it better! It feels so good.....nice and whippy!

my 2 cents.
No experience with the other 2 bars in question.

Paul Findley 11-06-2007 03:27 PM

Jordon,

Was it a Pendlay Mens 20kg Weightlifting Bar, Economy Mens Bar or the Crossfit discount weightlifting bar that you used?

I have no reason to think that one does not get more for the money with Glenn.

Paul

Jordan Glasser 11-06-2007 08:08 PM

It was the 20kg weightlifting bar.

Ken Urakawa 11-11-2007 08:12 AM

My understanding is that he's no longer making a "CrossFit" bar--just the Economy bar at a CrossFit discount.

I have both the Economy and Men's 20kg bars, and they're both great. Haven't touched a Chapman bar for a few years, so can't compare, but they feel very comparable to the Elieko bars I've used.

Also a bonus to be able to speak personally with the creator, for any product.

Eric Jones 11-11-2007 11:57 PM

We use Pendlay Economy bars almost exclusively for all of our serious weightlifters. Simply awesome, the only bar that I've ever really liked the knurling on.