Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Starting PM Mass Gain (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1811)

Nick Tirkalas 11-18-2007 06:13 PM

Starting PM Mass Gain

This weekend I had my LBM checked on a Tanita scale. I know not that accurate but withing a few pounds perhaps. It came in at 123lbs and almost 11% BF. My goals was to get pretty lean than go mass but if I go any more, I will not look that healthy. So starting tomorrow, I am switching to gain.

Here are the stats.

5'8"
139 lbs
11% BF
123lbm.

14 Blocks x 5 fat for maintenance. = 1872.5 calories. - seems low.
+ 2 extra blocks to gain for week 1. = 2027.5 calories.

I am doing the PM mass gain program so we'll see how it goes.

A few question's for those that know. The program says L-Pull up 60& 6x6. Is that supposed to be %. A little confused.

Also, on the strength cycle, it says snatch pull/RDL. Do we chose or do these both, or are they considered the same thing. I don't think they are.

Thoughts.

I'll update this weekly hopefully with more mass and a healthier look.:cool:

Jesse Woody 11-21-2007 06:33 PM

That's supposed to be a "%" Greg was probably too busy gulping down olive oil to catch the editing mistake. ;)

I'm assuming that the Snatch Pull/RDL is a combo movement where you do a snatch high-pull from the floor, then lower to hang position and do a RDL, but I may be wrong. Anybody else know for sure?

Yael Grauer 11-21-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Woody (Post 22479)
That's supposed to be a "%" Greg was probably too busy gulping down olive oil to catch the editing mistake. ;)

He should let me do his proofreading for him. :D

Nick Tirkalas 11-22-2007 12:00 PM

I downloaded the Mass Gain template and it clarified the & to % so that's good. Still trying to figure out the snatch pull/RDL.

I'm learning some things only been on it a week. All nutritional. I am doing IF. Going for a last feeding time before 6-7 pm and breaking the fast after 11. Feels good. Around that time I start to feel the weakness. Little to no hunger pangs. I am eating Zone Paleo. My block make up is 16P, 7C and a whopping 99F. I cut the carbs in half like Robb mentioned in PM17. I am trying not to go above 70g for carbs in a day. The fat eating feels good and feel no sluggishness. I think I have a big insulin sensitivity which is why I am keeping the carbs low.

I am experimenting with the macro make up during the feed time. I go for 3 feed times. Today(rest day) I am going for all carbs before 3 pm. I had no fat in my first feeding and I felt like crap. Hungry within a few hours. I eat no fat in my PWO meal, which is always at night as I work out after work. We'll see how it goes. Abs are slowly disappearing but still there.:(

Patrick Donnelly 11-22-2007 07:03 PM

There's some debate on the worth of a high-GI, no fat PWO meal. On the one hand, you've got the insulin spike, which helps build muscle; on the other hand (regular low-GI, high fat), you keep your GH levels spiked, which also helps.

Steven Low 11-22-2007 08:12 PM

Nick:

I'm 5'8" at 135 lbs.. more or less probably about 5% BF. You are "skinny" like I am, but it's not really unhealthy to be at this weight and height (although I am eating 2500 cals to just maintain, lol). :D Anyway, GL.

I'm pretty sure the snatch pull/RDL is a combo like Jesse said.

Also, I would try eating more than 3 meals a day. It will speed up your metabolism, but it is easier to get down massive amounts of food easier with more meals.

Kevin Perry 11-23-2007 02:34 AM

Thank god I'm short and bulky instead of tall and skinny. LOL I'm just kidding, good luck on your gain.

Nick Tirkalas 11-23-2007 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 22504)
Also, I would try eating more than 3 meals a day. It will speed up your metabolism, but it is easier to get down massive amounts of food easier with more meals.

Steven,

I think with IF, this would be difficult as it would have me eating every hour. As it is, I am having difficulty stuffing down all the calories I need in that feed window. With IF, frequency is not much an importance. I divided it into 3 to keep me from gagging on all the food.

I may have to resort to olive oil, ala Greg, to get all the fat. There is a crap load to eat here....99 Blocks! And this is the first week. It's going up next week!:eek:

I feel and see myself getting soft, but my weight seems to be steady, or up maybe 2 pounds. It varies.

Steven Low 11-23-2007 05:14 PM

Well, I was speaking for those of us with small stomaches. I think it's easier to eat many meals than it is to try to stuff 3 down at once to get all my cals.. which I can't do. Maybe it works the opposite for you. :D

Patrick Donnelly 11-23-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Papapetrou (Post 22512)
I feel and see myself getting soft, but my weight seems to be steady, or up maybe 2 pounds. It varies.

Weight varies far too much to try to measure it often. Just look for a rough average of ~1 pound each week, and take the measurement before the fast ends.

Good luck and have fun.