Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hi, New here- Couple of Questions- Help!!! (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1969)

Mike Jones 01-09-2008 08:06 PM

Hi, New here- Couple of Questions- Help!!!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mike and I'm new to these boards. I just spent the last 3/4 days reviewing everything on these boards (while, as much as I could!!!). I just recently bought Pavel T's Power to the People. In it, he says that doing two Oly lifts (deadlift and sidepress as you all already know) will build unbelievable strength and definition. I love the strength aspect, but I would also like to increase muscle definition. Do these strength excercises really form you into an "out of planet rock" (quoting Pavel)? Can I expect body composition changes- if so, what kind?

I am 160 pounds- 6 feet tall. I am a soccer player and don't want to add any more bulk to my frame. My goals are two fold- first and foremost- increase strength. Secondly- increase muscular definition without adding mass (think the builds of David Beckham and the late Brandon Lee). Am I able to achieve my goals using PTP program minimum of 2 sets of 5 using the 2 excercises 5 days a week?

Thanks for your help!!!

Mike

Jay Cohen 01-10-2008 02:37 AM

Muscle def is made in the kitchen, muscle strength in the gym.
If you did read most of the posts(in all threads), you'll see extensive discussion on diet. If not, consider reading them.

1. Lift heavy objects from the floor overhead
2. Eat like a horse or just eat the horse.
BTW, if you find Grass Fed horse, let me know.

Good Luck, welcome aboard.

Garrett Smith 01-10-2008 05:36 AM

Jay said it all right there.

Don't believe the hype that any type of exercise "magically" burns more fat than any others, no matter what the folks who publish the large-print, over-sized books tell you.

Mike ODonnell 01-10-2008 07:58 AM

Just repeating what has been said above....

Muscle definition = Lower Bodyfat to see muscles
Low Bodyfat = Eating the right way

Mike Jones 01-10-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell (Post 24520)
Just repeating what has been said above....

Muscle definition = Lower Bodyfat to see muscles
Low Bodyfat = Eating the right way

Thanks everyone for your replies! Yep, diet is in check. I eat all the right things, read all the posts about that. I know about the low bodyfat. Just wondering of the actual PTP does what it says it does- build incredible definition using only 2 Oly lifts?

Mike ODonnell 01-10-2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jones (Post 24523)
Just wondering of the actual PTP does what it says it does- build incredible definition using only 2 Oly lifts?

Because he wants to sell more books!

I would imagine any big compound movement lifts when done with enough intensity and weight will stimulate max GH response pwo and lead to greater fat loss.

Garrett Smith 01-10-2008 10:59 AM

Personally, based on the results I've been achieving since starting the CA WOD, I think that the combination of heavy snatches & C&J plus some metcon GPP burn fat at an insane rate compared to either one alone or PTP's two slow lifts.

More power output = higher neuroendocrine response. Combine that with making sure to avoid excessively stressful training (ie. too competitive all the time that shoots cortisol through the roof) and you have a great recipe.

I do believe that Pavel gives about one sentence lip service to diet towards the very end of the book, something along the line of eating meat and veggies to lean out. What a concept!

John Alston 01-10-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jones (Post 24523)
Just wondering of the actual PTP does what it says it does- build incredible definition using only 2 Oly lifts?

Pick up some heavy crap already. Whattaya want, a money back guarantee?

Mike Jones 01-12-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Alston (Post 24529)
Pick up some heavy crap already. Whattaya want, a money back guarantee?

No, Just some guidance from the people of this forum as to what to expect from the excercises and how it will help me achieve some goals. Sorry for bothering you.

Gant Grimes 01-15-2008 01:18 PM

Mike, several people have offered guidance, but you're missing it.

PTP is fine. So are any number of programs designed to promote the growth of lean mass. But NONE of these will improve your body composition without proper nutrition. If you are truly interested in leaning up, visit the nutrition forums, ask questions, and post up your daily menu. Chances are, your diet isn't as clean as you think it is (not criticizing because mine damn sure isn't). Why would you not want to learn more?

That said, yes, there is something about the Olympic lifts that do good things for your physique. You don't need any evidence beyond a google image search of different athletes. Start here.

Lift heavy things over your head in one or two movements. Eat things that were once alive, preferably things that swam or ran.