Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Populations (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Question for Dr G. (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2040)

John Velandra 01-30-2008 11:07 AM

Question for Dr G.

Garrett,
John here in Fay NC.... "hypothetical" question pertaining to client. I'd like to ask your "opinion" on her meds, etc... She is currently doing a scaled CFit wod and seeing great strides in health, blood sugar, etc. The problem she is consistently having is major sinus infections and now a semi-pronounced arrhythmia. Her doc seems concerned and has done the typical don't do anything approach. I've added her history below; currently she's lost about 25pounds - BS regulated and sleeping/feeling better.

Thoughts? "hypothetical" suggestions? If PM or chatting is better, I'm more than happy to.

Thanks so much!
John

"Here are the medications that I am taking:
  • B-12 1 a day
  • Calcium 600 mg, 2 tabs 1 a day
  • Fish oil 1 tab. 3 times a day
  • Cymbalta 30 mg. 1 time a day
  • Nasonex 2 sprays 1 time a day
  • Mataphormin 500 mg. 2 times a day
  • Aspirin 325 mg. 2 times a day
  • Humalog sliding scale
  • Lantus 78 units
I have chronic sinusitis, high blood pressure, arrhythmia (heart beating to fast), diabetic, obese; I am working out 2 to 3 times a week. I can not have any salt and only meat is chicken and fish. I am eating more vegetables and fruit. I drink maybe one cup o f coffee a day and 2 diet Pepsi and the rest of the time I drink a lot of water."

Garrett Smith 01-30-2008 01:22 PM

John,
I do phone consultations if she's interested. She's got way too complex a case for me to drop suggestions willy-nilly.

At least tell her that one of my first "suggestions" to anyone is to get the heck off of the Diet Pepsi.

Somewhere to begin your "hypothetical search" would be on this page. The heart is electrical, and potassium and magnesium play huge roles in conducting the proper electrical currents through the cardiac muscle.

Even according to the USDA (hardly the authority on proper nutrition), over 75% of the US population is deficient in magnesium. It's a good place to start your "search".

Hope that gets you started.

Mike ODonnell 01-30-2008 02:35 PM

Zma?

John Velandra 01-30-2008 05:48 PM

Thanks and I will pass this on to her. I'll keep you posted as well as she has become such a compliant person, I really would love to see her succeed.

I'll start my own reading from your links. Thanks again!!

John Velandra 01-30-2008 05:52 PM

Question to ask for her... should she ask for you? Do you have a staffing person handle calls? Can she pm you?

Thanks so much!

Garrett Smith 01-31-2008 10:10 AM

John,
Have her call the office at 520-577-6888 and ask to schedule an hour initial phone consultation. I do have staff that takes the phone calls and does scheduling. I'd love to see what I can do to help her! Thanks for the recommendation.

John Velandra 01-31-2008 10:26 AM

Just forwarded the info. Thanks!!!!

sarena kopciel 01-31-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Velandra (Post 25532)
Just forwarded the info. Thanks!!!!

John I have been consulting with Dr G for months now (and I am not a complex "case" medically!!). he is awesome as is his staff personnel!!

Garrett Smith 02-01-2008 02:07 PM

Thank you Sarena. My work is best shown on dedicated and disciplined patients such as yourself.

John Velandra 02-02-2008 03:30 AM

Thanks Sarena! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the near future.

Oh - Awesome article Sarena!!:)