Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   deadlift variations (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2123)

Tom Rawls 02-18-2008 12:40 PM

deadlift variations

Is there any reason to do different kinds of deadlifts, from the classic to sumo style to snatch grip? It the variety "functional," or mostly useful in that it adds a bit of freshness to training?

James Evans 02-18-2008 02:59 PM

T Nation would have you believe that snatch grip deadlifts off a box (ie extend the ROM yet further) pack on muscle like nothing else and will stop you getting raped in prison.

Hmm.

Don't drop the soap.

Mike ODonnell 02-18-2008 03:34 PM

Snatch grip on a box is painful variation....feels more like a squat than a DL. You use less weight...but get more ROM. Like anything....varying up movements is always good for progress. I believe it was Poloquin who made the comment about putting on Mass, he's a smart guy so I have to assume he has seen some results from it. It's a time under tension thing....more stimulus for back and legs, more volume, but less weight. Good for hypertrophy, I would assume there might be better variations for strength.

James Evans 02-18-2008 03:55 PM

Yeah, it was Poloquin. I think there was a thread about on here at the time.

I've never found it too painful but I have smaller plates and have to go pretty low on a normal deadlift. I've noticed a 7-10kg difference between a max with my bar at home and a standard set up (in favour of the standard). Spoke to a rower I know recently and it had just been introduced into their schedule and he thought it was murder. He's a fair bit taller than me.

Poloquin suggested lighter weights but with the use of straps because you're going for higher reps. I did them for a couple of months last year and didn't see the benefits that I have gained (both strength - primary goal - and a bit of bulk) from regular heavy standard deadlifting. I like them as a lighter option at the weekend:

SGDL @ bodyweight
DB Push Press @ 40% bw
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps

that sort of thing.

Not keen on sumos but that's a feel thing.

Garrett Smith 02-18-2008 04:11 PM

I don't really vary my DLs much.

That being said, I do like including "deadlift-type" movements of various styles, from the PMenu rx'd clean/snatch DLs, to sumo DL high pulls, single-leg DLs, sandbag cleans, tire flips, rowing, etc. etc. I think the variety is hugely beneficial in both motor learning and prevention of CNS burnout.

Also, noting that most things I would probably DL in real life require a stance more along sumo lines, and sumos really tax my adductors, I should definitely include them more often. Much like the "B" squats that I've been forgetting to include. D'oh.

Tom Rawls 02-20-2008 12:54 PM

thanx for the replies.

Let me try one additional question, if I may:

How do various pulls compare to deadlifts? Snatch pull. Clean pull/high pull.

Can they be used a substitutes?

I know some people say there is not such thing as a stupid question. I hope I am not disproving that notion.

Dave Van Skike 03-11-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Rawls (Post 26513)
thanx for the replies.

Let me try one additional question, if I may:

How do various pulls compare to deadlifts? Snatch pull. Clean pull/high pull.

Can they be used a substitutes?

I know some people say there is not such thing as a stupid question. I hope I am not disproving that notion.

depends on the goal.

All deadlifts are good.
all pulls are good.
pulls are not the same as deadlifts,
deadlifts are not the same as pulls.

pulls are assist movements to the DL,
the DL is and assist movement to pulls.

When to use which?

The answer is "it depends" varying DL variations is useful for.

People who compete in the lifts and need to rotate max effort work,
People who need a deload day to work a heavy deadlifts without going into ME territory, (I sub Sumo Dl to spare my low back, I suck at it so the weights are lighter)
People who compete in the lift or similar lift and need to work one end of the movement or another. working deads off a box helps speed off the floor,
Stiff leg DL and RDL can help stickign pojtns at the kneees, halting deads do the same, rack or block deads help lockout. working snatch grip deads does a similar thing and also acts like a squat.

Mike ODonnell 03-11-2008 03:16 PM

Too complicated....just follow these 2 simple steps

1) Lift something heavy off the ground
2) Eat Meat

repeat daily

Dave Van Skike 03-11-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell (Post 27634)

2) Eat Meat

repeat daily

Touche'

Allen Yeh 03-12-2008 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell (Post 27634)

2) Eat Meat

repeat daily

Where does eat meat but only for a few hours a day and make sure you randomize when you eat the meat and the days you choose to randomize the time to eat the meat?