Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Favorite S&C coaches and resources (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216)

Neal Winkler 11-30-2006 02:52 PM

Favorite S&C coaches and resources

Who are your top ten favorite strength and conditioning coaches?

Also, what are your top ten favorite S&C resources(books, journals, ect.)?

Mark Joseph Limbaga 11-30-2006 05:31 PM

In no particular order:

Al Vermeil, Charles Staley, Alwyn Cosgrove, Dan John, Mike Rutherford, Jason Postulka, Louie Simmons

Books: Facts and fallacies of fitness, explosive lifting for sports, the zone, supertraining

Mike ODonnell 11-30-2006 05:54 PM

What Mark said above......Plus.... Paul Chek, Juan Carlos Santana, Mike Boyle. Charles Poliqiun, Mike Mahler, John Berardi, Pavel Tsatsouline...

Books...articles...DVDs....forums....anything by those authors. Oh and anything Rob Wolf posts too. :) No seriously....I admire his nutritional background, knowledge and willing to share it with all us common folks. (Have to do some asskissing until I at least have 20 posts. Ha)

Sam Lepore 11-30-2006 06:53 PM

Starting Strength is a good book by Rippetoe.

Just got it and love it. :D

Yael Grauer 12-01-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell (Post 1329)
Oh and anything Rob Wolf posts too. :) No seriously....I admire his nutritional background, knowledge and willing to share it with all us common folks.

Here, here!

When's the book coming out?

Brad Hirakawa 12-04-2006 04:02 PM

In no particular order... Wolf, Glassman, Dan John. Three kings if you ask me. I've only really had three S&C coaches per se, and those guys are it. I also like that gymnastic coach I met in Colorado way back when, but I forget his name (senility hit me early). Coach Sommer may be his name, but I'm probalby spelling it wrong.

I was never big on training books. Don't remember ever reading one. Not big on diet books either. Just figured I should eat lots of veggies and some healthy animals. Then again.. I'm not a trainer or coach, so I never really had to become an "expert" in those fields.

I did read Arnold's Encyclopdia of Body Buliding when I was a teenager, and obsessed with getting huuuuggeeee. :)

Brad

Mark Joseph Limbaga 12-04-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell (Post 1329)
What Mark said above......Plus.... Paul Chek, Juan Carlos Santana, Mike Boyle. Charles Poliqiun, Mike Mahler, John Berardi, Pavel Tsatsouline...

Books...articles...DVDs....forums....anything by those authors. Oh and anything Rob Wolf posts too. :) No seriously....I admire his nutritional background, knowledge and willing to share it with all us common folks. (Have to do some asskissing until I at least have 20 posts. Ha)

The only thing I have against Pavel is there's too much marketing in his books

Mike ODonnell 12-04-2006 05:53 PM

Marekting is hard to escape from anyone out there nowadays...I like Pavel's concepts, take what I can use.....not buying all his stuff though. Carlos is good too...but he markets a ton also....like his books, some good ideas....nothing revolutionary but ideas here and there. I like anything that I can use for reference quickly to remember exercises and programs...as I can't store them all in my head....college and beer have killed too many brain cells.

Brad Hirakawa 12-05-2006 06:29 AM

College and brain cells... I hear ya!

Brad

Chuck Kechter 12-05-2006 10:37 AM

Dan John for sure... I also use the work of Ross Enamait and Liam Bauer (Taku).