Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Triple ext. on hang power cleans? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2246)

Nick Tirkalas 03-12-2008 05:03 PM

Triple ext. on hang power cleans?

Just got back from my local affiliate and we were doing hang power cleans. They were instructing that you do not do triple extension on this move. More specifically, you do not go on your toes. They instructed that you drive from your heals, yes...but never go on your toes.

Any thoughts? I thought you always go to triple extension, no matter type of move.

Garrett Smith 03-12-2008 05:36 PM

Oooooo...Greg E. will have fun with this one, I'm sure.

So are they saying you only do double extension, as in only hips and knees? So how would one go from the "jumping" to the "landing" stance without extending their ankle? Ever tried jumping without extending the ankle? It's pretty tough...

There is a difference between *trying* to go up onto the toes and aggressively "jumping" upwards while having the heels leave the ground ever so slightly. If one's heels *ever* leave the ground by any miniscule amount, or for that matter, significantly unweight during a PC, I'd say that triple extension has occurred. Why purposely try to leave the peripheral muscles out of the movement? I'd venture to guess that the ankle extension is much less during a PC than a squat clean, but I don't see why it *shouldn't* happen.

I was just watching some hang power cleans on YouTube, by guys doing 350# plus. They all tended to land with severely wide stances, however, every one of them extended the ankle. FWIW.

Anyway, I'll let the forum-master have his say.

Derek Simonds 03-12-2008 05:47 PM

I think the difference is in a hang power clean and a hang muscle clean or a hang tall clean.

I can't remember but one of them you don't come up on your toes, I would have to dig up my notes on this one.

sarena kopciel 03-12-2008 07:01 PM

I also choose to defer to Greg on this but would think (and I just tried this without a bar) that one must use full 3 extension. Although dont think of it as coming on toes and jumping up. It is kinda a natural progression that when your hip pops--this will happen automatically and you land in your squat stance!

Allen Yeh 03-13-2008 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 27736)
I think the difference is in a hang power clean and a hang muscle clean or a hang tall clean.

I can't remember but one of them you don't come up on your toes, I would have to dig up my notes on this one.

hang power clean you are suppose to reposition your feet

hang muscle clean you don't.

hang tall clean you do.

Allen Yeh 03-13-2008 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Papapetrou (Post 27734)
Just got back from my local affiliate and we were doing hang power cleans. They were instructing that you do not do triple extension on this move. More specifically, you do not go on your toes. They instructed that you drive from your heals, yes...but never go on your toes.

Any thoughts? I thought you always go to triple extension, no matter type of move.

Depends on which coach you are talking to/learned from I have found.

Derek Simonds 03-13-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Yeh (Post 27765)
hang power clean you are suppose to reposition your feet

hang muscle clean you don't.

hang tall clean you do.

You always were a great student I am guessing :D

Allen Yeh 03-13-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 27790)
You always were a great student I am guessing :D

Ha!

"Lots of people go to college for 6 years." - Me

"Yeah, they're called doctors." - Friend

Greg Everett 03-13-2008 11:37 AM

In my opinion, ankle extension is largely individual - that is, some people will naturally extend their ankles considerably while lifting and others won't. The latter group should NOT be encouraged to extend, and the former can be allowed to extend IF they maintain adequate speed and balance (which many don't).

The ankles mechanically are great for generating force but not power because of the lever type. So ankle extension is relatively slow and consequently doesn' usually add anything meaningful to the aceleration of the bar. But it does add time to the athlete's extension and elevate the athlete's body, which means no gain in net bar elevation and less time to pull under.

Even athletes who extend the ankles considerably during the snatch tend to do it very little in the clean. So again, bottom line - if the athlete doesn't extend the ankles but cleans/snatches well, leave it alone. If he/she does extend, they better be fast as shit and maintaining their COM over the front of the heel even when on the toes.

Arden Cogar Jr. 03-13-2008 12:49 PM

I just have to say, WOW.

That's great advice.

Personally, I find that the heavier I go, the less I get up on my toes. The main reason is that I find I control the weight better on my cleans when I pull it as high as I can and just duck under it. When I do that, my feet really don't change position that much. Slightly out, but that's about it.

I'm learning though and I'm a complete novice.

All the best,
Arden