Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can you take a look at my snatch? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2261)

Dan Heaney 03-16-2008 02:01 AM

Can you take a look at my snatch?

Hi guys working on my snatch form can you take a look and tell me what you think? Thanks I appreciate it.

170lbs Snatch

Eddie Clark 03-16-2008 08:26 AM

Two things that I noticed:

1) I am not totally sure because of the dark shirt and dark background but it looks like your back was rounded a bit during your first pull. It appears that your back and shoulders were not totally set before you began the pull.

2) Probably related to the first issue. You jerked the bar from the ground. Many folks will bend the arms slightly to get some slack and then jerk the bar off the ground. Your jerk was different in that you shrugged your shoulders slightly to get some slack before you jerked the bar. Watch closely and just before you pull you will see your hip angle decrease slightly, your hips begin to rise and your shoulders shrug slightly (thus giving you slack) before you pull/jerk the bar from the ground. Another sign that you are jerking it slightly is all of the racket the bar makes as you begin your first pull.

That is what I noticed. But you are snatching 170lbs very readily. So you are obviously doing many things right.

Hopefully sometime in the near future I will have a 170lbs snatch that you can critique.:) Awesome job!

Eddie

John Alston 03-16-2008 12:06 PM

I think your ass is coming up a little faster than your chest. Your position shouldn't change in the first pull.
Tip that helped me with this is think "push the floor away."

Dan Heaney 03-17-2008 07:19 AM

Thanks Guys I'll work on the points you mentioned. I appreciate it

Greg Everett 03-17-2008 11:15 AM

1. Work on that flexibility - like has been said, back is rounded in gthe start - you need to be in absolute extension - extended from sacrum to skull.

2. Squeeze it off the floor and then accelerate - that jerk is 1) counterproductive in terms of acceleration, 2) risky in tersm of injury, and 3) almost guaranteed to throw off your positioning (which it did).

3. As was said before, and was alluded to in my #2, you lead with the hips - with a static start position of that type, like John said, your hips and shoulder should rise together (back angle stays the same) until the scoop begins.

4. Weigtht is too far forward on the feet right away - a common product of leading with the hips. Aim to keep the weight centered in front of the heel.

5. Arms come in early - right as the bar passes the knees. Stretch yourself out away from the bar as you extend - no arms until you're moving down.

6. Pretty good 3rd pull - bar stays close, quick, solid turnover.

7. Jump forward to receive, and weight is on the toes - this is a result of #s 2,3,4.

Overall, a great snatch - feet move quickly and don't come up any higher than they need to; good receiving position (aside from weight distribution mentioned earlier); and a 20 lb PR is pretty huge.

Dan Heaney 03-18-2008 04:36 AM

Thanks Greg. I appreciate the help.