Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Populations (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Question On Vitiligo (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2266)

John Velandra 03-17-2008 08:40 AM

Question On Vitiligo

Hi all!
I have a client that has vitiligo along with a ton of upper respiratory issues, neuro-muscular imbalances,weakness, etc..... just started my research on vitiligo, and it's issues, etc.

Any help out there???

Doc???

Garrett Smith 03-17-2008 09:19 AM

John,
In naturopathic school, we're taught that when we have skin issues, the first place to look is the digestive system.

My first suggestion, based on the minimal stuff you have described, is to look for gluten intolerance. Your client can order their own lab from www.enterolab.com . I'd suggest the gluten stool test at minimum, and adding in the dairy/yeast/egg/soy portions if they are willing. Getting irritants out of the diet will help the most in the beginning. Feel free to Google "celiac vitiligo" or "gluten vitiligo" to find your client info on this.

A good solid dosing of probiotics can only help in this area as well. Feel free to have this person contact me (or look through my store) if they would like to get what I recommend.

A good CLO will always be of benefit, I can also help there.

John Velandra 03-17-2008 02:00 PM

Thanks again!
I am constantly amazed by the wealth of knowledge and community CFit & brethren have... AND how much more I have to learn after doing this for so long. :mad:

I sent her contact info and link so I'm sure she will be in touch.

Regarding last person. She is back from the hospital, had some stents replaced and is back on the modified wod I have for her. She will be attending the diabetic workshop I teach and I'll keep you posted!

Robb Wolf 03-19-2008 09:37 AM

John-
Vitiligo has a strong autoimmune component exacerbated by....insulin. Drop insulin levels and the progression will cease. Some folks have noted a recovery of the normal pigmentation with time, others not. There tends to be a high prevalence of Raynauds (a vascular condition that occurs when going from hot to cold environments ).

Search under "vitiligo and insulin/hyperinsulinism".

John Velandra 03-20-2008 07:04 AM

Robb,
Thanks so much and I will indeed start my research.... now stop giving me more stuff to learn and unlearn!!! (JK) :D

At one point I actually thought I was up on my nutrition knowledge... LOL

Greg Battaglia 03-29-2008 04:03 PM

Interesting!

I've had mild vitiligo on my left knee since about 4th grade. Kept getting worse through middle school and high school and stopped in high school (when I started eating healthier and exercising a lot. It never went away though. It's still there, but never gets worse. I also get Tinea in my abdominal region and on my shoulders quite regularly. I wonder if this has to do with digestion.

Garrett Smith 03-29-2008 04:11 PM

Greg,
I have tinea versicolor myself. It gets more noticeable as the temperatures get warmer and/or when my diet becomes not-so low-carb...

I was told by a dermatologist a long time ago that some people are just sensitive to that particular issue. He said I would likely re-catch it every summer, even if I killed it off (which I think I did for two seasons, then gave up).

With my pregnant wife having carby food around all the time and spring starting in Tucson (which is really like slightly mild summer here), it's really starting to act up.

Greg Battaglia 03-29-2008 05:56 PM

Interesting,
Tinea first appeared for me just this last year and it happened when I switched to a more Zonish macro ratio from a much lower carb diet. Could be the carbs since it was when it started getting cold, not hot, that it came. At any rate, it doesn't really bother me at all, maybe a little itching in the shoulders, but no biggy.

John Velandra 04-01-2008 10:20 AM

Thanks for all the input. My friend'll be joining us soon and is also going the gluten-free route.:)

She's not seeing a ton of changes in stuff (feeling, etc), but most likely from having to undo a ton of lifetime habits and metabolic conditioning??

Garrett Smith 04-01-2008 10:57 AM

John,
Trust and verify. Your friend may not be feeling much better due to not following guidelines as well as they think or say.

Also, serious nutrient deficiencies can be difficult to remedy through food alone, as foods are not as nutrient dense as they used to be.