Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Basics of Starting Strength rep/set scheme? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2351)

Garrett Smith 04-07-2008 11:16 AM

Basics of Starting Strength rep/set scheme?

I'm in the process of ordering Starting Strength. While I'm waiting for it, which could be up to 10 days, I was wondering if someone might post or PM me the basics of the programming (sets, reps, when to move up, etc.) contained within. I'm planning on getting my base strength up before going to the PM OL seminar in Portland...

I know it is very much associated with 5x5 and adding weight (obviously), I'd just like to know any differences/specifics...

Thanks!

Keith Moore 04-07-2008 11:56 AM

SS FAQ: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

The sets and reps stuff is covered on this post: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...64&postcount=3

Garrett Smith 04-07-2008 12:00 PM

Thank you much!

Gant Grimes 04-07-2008 01:24 PM

Most people recommend doing SS by itself (no metcon, additional work, etc.). If all you want is strength, that's the way to go. Additional work will compromise that net strength gains, but you already know that.

I'm on my fourth week of a strength/OLY/gymnastics/metcon program and have been making gains across the board (I hit my fifth PR today since starting the program and came in 16 pounds under my all-time CFT (when I was 25 pounds heavier and exclusively on SS).

If you do SS, pick your starting weights conservatively, as you go up each week.

I made the following modifications to SS in my current program:
* Instead of back squatting 3 times a week, I squat, front squat, and OHS (but they're still 3x5).
* I will probably start subbing box squats with back squats at least every other week.
* I only DL once a month. 1x5 kills me. The other weeks I do rack pulls, halting deadlifts, and snatch DLs, all with straps.
* I do my power cleans with a different set/rep scheme.
* I sub weighted ring dips with bench every other week.

Garrett Smith 04-07-2008 01:35 PM

Gant, thanks for those insights.

I needed to simplify the programming for my slow lifts and just go to technique work for my OL (until I can get to the PM OL seminar, that is).

I may not bench at all, I'll sub in resisted (Power Push-up 2) push-ups on the floor or on low rings for that part.

I like your DL suggestions. DLs too often don't jive with me either.

Good stuff.

Ari Kestler 04-07-2008 01:48 PM

What's the advantage of doing rack pulls over weekly DL?

Gant Grimes 04-07-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari Kestler (Post 29054)
What's the advantage of doing rack pulls over weekly DL?

Itakes me 4-6 days to recover from a heavy set of 5. A lot of powerlifters don't even do heavy deads until it's time for a meet because they're so hard to recover from. I'm not pulling anywhere the numbers they are, but it's still rough on my body.

Rip suggests halting deadlifts and rack pulls as DL assistance exercises--or, for me, a sub. I do the snatch DLs from a box because it helps my first pull (and it's a damn good exercise on its own).

Gant Grimes 04-07-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 29052)
Gant, thanks for those insights.

I needed to simplify the programming for my slow lifts and just go to technique work for my OL (until I can get to the PM OL seminar, that is).

I may not bench at all, I'll sub in resisted (Power Push-up 2) push-ups on the floor or on low rings for that part.

I like your DL suggestions. DLs too often don't jive with me either.

Good stuff.

Here's how I do it.

Monday (heavy): back squat, bench/dips, weighted pullups, metcon
Tuesday (medium): snatch, jerks/push press, metcon
Wednesday (heavy): clean, front squat, deadlift, GHD/hyper, KB crush curls
Friday (heavy): snatch, jerks/push press, metcon
Saturday (light): clean, press, OHS, metcon

I do gymnastic progressions on M, T, Sat, and I work Tabatas in where I can.

All metcons are under 10 minutes. Saturday's is optional, so I may only do 3 short metcons per week. So far, my metcon capacity has improved and I am recovering better.

*That's the rough outline. I've had to tweak it a time or two the last month to optimize it for recovery and personal happiness.

Steven Low 04-07-2008 05:38 PM

Obviously if you start massively subbing stuff it's not really SS anymore.

But yeah, depends on your goals. I always wanted to try a upper body rings + lower body SS version and see how it would turn out. Except I'm crippled at the moment. I know a few people who have tried but they burned out fast on CF cause I underestimated their conditioning level. If you wanna give something like this a try feel free to ask and I'll try to help you out with that.

Gant Grimes 04-08-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 29063)
Obviously if you start massively subbing stuff it's not really SS anymore.

Yeah, I left that out because Dr. G (and most of the PM community) probably knew that. But for any noobs, ANY sub will make this something different than SS, which is 3 days a week of eating, lifting, and sleeping. Most of the stuff people are doing (including myself) is "SS inspired" rather than straight SS.

I think what most people are looking for in programming like this is linear progression in more exercises with a little metcon sprinkled in. That's why my loads are staggered like they are. It's also why I can insert more OLY and gymnastics skills stuff without burning out.

I should add that I seldom go all-out on my metcons. I design most of these to complement my workouts, and many of them have a strength component. The end goal is GPP first and Judo conditioning second. I operate at 85-90% intensity most days (still high). I'll kick it up to 95% once every couple weeks. Once a month I'll let it all hang out for Fran, Helen, or something of that ilk. I've been able to recover better--mentally and physically--and I enjoy them more. Oddly enough, cycling my intensity has resulted in several new PRs (compared to my CF days when I was 24/7 balls-out). I know Dr. G will appreciate that aspect.

PS Steven, I hyperextended my elbow a few weeks ago, so I've suspended my quest for the cross.

PPS I don't warrant my personal program for anyone else. It works for me, and it's fun. That's as far as I'll go.