Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   My wife's fat loss update. (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2390)

Jason Naubur 04-18-2008 12:54 PM

My wife's fat loss update.

You may remember me from such threads as:
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=2144

I am back to ask this:

My wife has done 2 months of 'bootcamp' at the local CF affiliate, yet her weight has not changed much (small -BF, +LBM) but nearly as much as one would expect with a good diet.

So I have asked her to see her doctor and check out her blood work. But what should he check for specifically? Her Doc is old skool: Low fat, High Carb, Don't Squat Below Parallel kinda guy. I am worried he might check on stuff that isn't a good indicator. Or am I off base here? Either way I will post the results for input when she gets them.

jason

Garrett Smith 04-18-2008 12:57 PM

Ask for a thyroid panel, definitely one with T3 and Free T3 in it.

Mike ODonnell 04-18-2008 01:32 PM

Does your wife:
- Get little sleep
- Drinks lots of coffee (or caffeine)
- Get little dietary fat
- Get too stressed all day long

Like Dr G said....sounds like a Thyroid issue.....also might want to get her cortisol levels checked....as I believe if those bottom out in the AM (when they are supposed to be high) that means burnout....

Jason Naubur 04-18-2008 01:38 PM

Thanks a lot. I will ask her to check these out.

I have upped her fat, downed her carbs a bit, and am weaning her off the Splenda yogurts. Her sleep is decent for keeping a household of 5 going, with my help of course (7 hours is normal). No caffeine, no coffee pop or tea. Some stress at work, but nothing terrible from the horror stories I hear about - she is pretty level headed with that stuff.

Always stuff to improve on however!

Jason

Mike ODonnell 04-18-2008 01:47 PM

Just remember to keep her focused on lifestyle changes for long term health....as that consistency is what will keep her getting progress hopefully. People who want quick weight loss are always going to end up going back to old bad habbits once they no longer see the results they expect....that's not the right mindset. Be healthy and the body will respond in kind.

Jeremy Shepard 04-18-2008 03:00 PM

Is she sure that she's in an energy deficit?

Garrett Smith 04-18-2008 04:46 PM

Good point, Jeremy.

To add to what MOD said, if you are seeing a conventional doc, see if she can get an AM & PM cortisol done.

More sleep will always help, as will better quality sleep.

Mike ODonnell 04-18-2008 05:26 PM

How often is she doing the "bootcamps"? If it's too much that can have a negative effect too. In regards to fat, the total intake must be watched....as those calories can add up quickly....like most people think they can eat nuts...and have 30 of them....when in actuality they should of only had like 4. In the end like Jeremy mentioned...it's about calories in, and calories burned...no matter how strong or weak the metabolism is.

Jason Naubur 04-18-2008 05:36 PM

We are pretty sure she is eating the right amount for the zone, but now minus some carb blocks, and maybe 1.5 - 2x the nuts. The hard thing to reconcile is compared to her old diet, she is eating a lot less. Even without exercise she should be losing. Or so I thought.

Bootcamps are M-F mornings for 1 hour. Not all are metcons though, some are Squat practice or Med Ball Clean skill work. I was going to say maybe skipping the Wed class if she and her instructor both think it helpful.

While my wife was expecting more - she surely wasn't expecting a miracle. But some more obvious progress would be nice for her. I don't think most friends and family have even noticed, and her pants aren't any looser.

Her health is better, and her skin is clearer so I think she is changing her life for the long haul.

Jason

Mike ODonnell 04-18-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Naubur (Post 29779)
We are pretty sure she is eating the right amount for the zone, but now minus some carb blocks, and maybe 1.5 - 2x the nuts.

Sounds high....but I don't do the zone so without a calculator I really don't know how many total grams or calories that is....what's her daily intake for total calories and fat/carb/protein grams?